Ethical conduct indispensable for attaining enlightenment or Buddhahood

Discussion in 'Buddhism' started by Ajay0, Mar 3, 2023.

1. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

Ethical conduct in the form of right speech, right livelihood and right effort are considered to be vital practices leading to enlightenment in Buddhism or Buddhahood.

Noble Eightfold Path - Wikipedia

The Three Trainings

Ethical conduct is also emphasized in the religious philosophies of Hinduism, Jainism and Sufism for attaining enlightenment.

This itself is a refutation of the nihilist and existentialist premise that life is meaningless and all values and virtues are but abstract mental contrivances without any relevance of their own.

2. Intrepid37

Intrepid37 Banned

Has any enlightened individual ever actually said that they're enlightened?

Ajay0 likes this.
  3. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

Roshi Robert Aitken once wrote that without the Precepts, Zen becomes a mere hobby; just another ornament for the ego.

The Precepts - Rochester Zen Center

Last edited: Mar 4, 2023
    Piney, Tishomingo and Ajay0 like this.
  5. Intrepid37

Intrepid37 Banned

Present?

Who would that be?

6. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

if you ask ajayo he will tell you dr. dr. (not) frederick lenz, known as rama or something the guy who committed suicide. before he topped himself he went around saying he was the avatar kalki, or calculus, or something.... also there was that kalki guy who kept his swedish cult in dog kennels and drugged them on ketamine and lsd - this goopface The Cult of Kalki Bhagavan - Open The Magazine

7. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

Yo Chodpa, long time no see, dude. :laughing:

Forget about Lenz or others. I hope you are keeping yourself free from drugs or intoxicants as per Buddhist teachings, and having a steady job as well, and not having financial issues as you had rambled earlier.

I had wondered about you, and was hoping that your professional and personal life had changed for the better. If not, you have my sympathies.

Piobaire likes this.
  8. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

The Ten Precepts as I received them:

I resolve not to kill, but to cherish all life.

I resolve not to take what is not given, but to respect the things of others.

I resolve not to engage in improper sexuality, but to be caring and responsible.

I resolve not to lie but to speak the truth.

I resolve not to cause others to take substances that confuse the mind, nor to do so myself, but to keep the mind clear at all times.

I resolve not to speak of the faults of others, but to be understanding and sympathetic.

I resolve not to praise myself and disparage others, but to overcome my own shortcomings.

I resolve not to withhold spiritual or material aid, but to give them freely where needed.

I resolve not to indulge in anger, but to exercise restraint.

I resolve not to revile the Three Treasures, Buddha, Dharma and Sangha, but to cherish and uphold them.

KathyL likes this.
  9. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Who would that be?

Dont you remember: CADDYSHACK, where the Bill Murray groundskeeper told Chevy Chase that The Dali Lama had promised him total concsisious on his deathbed. We all can claim that legacy.