So there has been a supervolcano under Antartica the whole time

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Vanilla Gorilla, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Scientists discover 91 volcanoes below Antarctic ice sheet

So scientists all around the world had apparent consensus for decades about what was causing global warming, ice sheets melting, sea levels rising, yada yada yada

Big plume of mantle underneath West Antartica the whole time, and we are only kind of discovering this now

[​IMG]

2. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Whatever. The planet is going to eat us alive one of these days. Nothing we can do about it.

makihiko likes this.
  3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Boom...

4. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Does it say that volcanoes are the cause of global warming? I wonder if that would be better or worse than what it is now. Isn't global warming caused by pollution from cars and factories? Hmm. Shows how little I know.

5. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Don't feed the climate change deniers

6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Didn't one of the big volcanoes actually cause global cooling by 2* as the sun was blocked out?

They'll say and tell you anything these days.

Orison likes this.
  7. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

The magna plume has been melting ice under the shelf, lakes and rivers under the shelf.

Ice breaking off in recent decades.

Now how much of those ice shelfs collapsing has been due to global warming? How much from this now biggest volcanic region on earth.

If everyone seems to be so sure they know everything, that should be an easy questuon to answer.

And yet all those scientists around the world had no clue about this until recently

8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Too many things out there floating around in space for scientists to get hardons about than anything currently happening on our little earth.
    Global warming? "not interested"
    Might be ice on Mars? "100000000 billion dollars invested for a good cause!"

9. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

Handy if there is Ice on mars for David Bowie's Pina colada !

Orison likes this.
  10. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

11. egger

egger Member

The authors of the paper don't consider the volcanoes to be the cause of the observed ice melt in recent decades.

pdf of paper

http://www.geos.ed.ac.uk/homes/rbingha2/48_2017_Vries.pdf

A new volcanic province: an inventory of subglacial volcanoes in West Antarctica
    MAXIMILLIAN VAN WYK DE VRIES*, ROBERT G. BINGHAM & ANDREW S. HEIN
    School of GeoSciences, University of Edinburgh, Drummond Street, Edinburgh EH8 9XP, UK

From the discussion section of the paper:

"Currently, the WAIS may be undergoing another such wholesale retreat, as ice in the Pacific facing sector has consistently been retreating from the time of the earliest aerial and satellite observations (Rignot 2002; McMillan et al. 2014; Mouginot et al. 2014). We do not consider it likely that volcanism has played a significant role in triggering the current retreat, for which there is compelling evidence that the forcing has initiated from the margins (Turner et al. 2017), but we do propose that subglacial volcanism has the potential to influence future rates of retreat by (1) producing enhanced basal melting that could impact upon basal ice motion and (2) providing edifices that may act to pin retreat."

soulcompromise likes this.
  12. soulcompromise

Thanks. I almost don't understand it, but it sounds like they don't think it has been the cause of ice melting in the past, while still not ruling it out in the future. I think it's probably the result of the pollution we continue to spew into the sky. It's sad. I don't know if there's really anything we can do. I try to reduce my carbon footprint, but I also feel like if more people were helping out... I don't know. Maybe I wouldn't have to do as much. I know that sounds terrible, but it's true. I still get out and around though, so I'm not complaining. Maybe they'll develop alternative fuel sources that make fewer dangerous emissions! :)

13. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

I've always thought that Antarctica held secrets that were kept on a need to know basis - and the answer to the need to know may well have consequences best not known

14. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Which is just a round about way of saying "we dont know"

15. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Like the second Stargate

WOLF ANGEL likes this.
  16. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

17. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

Cow farts, don't forget cow farts.

18. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Human farts as well, there are 7 billion of us.

And bacteria farts are how we got the atmosphere in the first place

19. soulcompromise

Yeah! There's actually a thread about burgers I think. It mentions this as well, and how if people stopped eating beef we would save the planet. Thing I Heard About Why There Are No Tomatoes on The Big Mac

Lol. But I don't know that it would prevent cow farts, since technically there still might be cows. There might even be more cows, because people would stop eating them before other people decided to stop breeding them! :)

20. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

What we should be doing is sequestering the air pollution and sending it to Mars. In a couple of centuries we might just thicken it up enough to be a feasible lifeboat for our own and many other Earth species. At the moment this is not cost effective, but really, how do we quantify the cost of our continuity?