Equality, where's the evidence?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Rudenoodle, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Rudenoodle

Rudenoodle Minister of propaganda Lifetime Supporter

With all due respect to the Founding Fathers, I do not find it “self-evident” that all men are created equal. If anything, it appears bleedingly obvious that they are highly—even comically—unequal.

The common myth currently binding American society together is the idea of equality, but the problem is that there is no evidence for it.

Equality is one of the most ludicrous notions ever hatched from a human brain. But despite its self-evident falsehood, it is the closest our secular society has to a shared religious belief. It seems to exist not as an established and unquestionable fact, but mostly as a tranquilizer for the less-than-equal.

Your modern smug-as-a-bug-in-a-rug progressive egalitarian dimwit generally believes in evolution—except for the uncomfortable parts. Have you ever noticed that when you disagree with them about the notion of innate human equality, they immediately condemn you as innately inferior to them? In stereotyping the “racist”—which is by far the most pervasive stereotype in modern society—it’s telling how often racists are depicted as stupid, subhuman, genetically inferior, and stuck in the Stone Age. It appears an indelible trait of human group psychology that people need to feel superior to at least someone, and that someone is currently the “racist” rather than the old standby, the Negro

Therefore, I’d love to see some hard, cross-referenced data that conclusively proves genetics are entirely unrelated to measurable racial differences in physiology and intellect.

I yearn to look at spreadsheets that prove that Jews ‘n’ Japs aren’t generally smarter than other groups and that black people in no way tend to excel at the hundred-yard dash.

Would you be so nice as to prove to me that your average Russian chess master and your typical Maori tribesman would score equally on IQ tests if they’d only been brought up the same?

Leftism has a stubborn tendency to invert reality. Again and again and again and AGAIN you hear that race is nothing more than a “social construct” by the SAME people who speak as if “culture” and “equality” are real things that you can observe under a microscope.

They’ll pretend that the mind and the body are entirely discrete entities, as if the brain were an ethereal rather than a physical organ.

They will accuse you of peddling pseudoscience that has been discredited and debunked, yet they shy away from offering the slightest wisp of proof to support their most sacred belief. And it is a belief rather than a fact. This can’t be stressed enough.

Holly1272 and Lovely_Lissa like this.
  2. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Equal in human dignity, not ability. I think everyone is aware some people are more gifted than others.

3. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Here is the proper quote:
    It came from John Locke's theory of natural rights as stated by George Mason, a delegate to the U.S. Constitutional Convention:
    Mason changed the wording to:
    He presented it to the Virginia Convention but it was rejected.

Jefferson agreed with the principle expressed by Locke but as Mason's phrasing had been rejected by Virginia he changed the wording to make it more acceptable.

John Adams picked up the phrase an introduced it to the Massachusetts Constitution by rewording it:
    It's very clear that the phrase in the U.S. Constitution is saying that all men are born naturally free and should be accorded equal opportunity to pursue life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
    It isn't talking about physical, mental, or genetic variations.

tumbling.dice likes this.
  4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

This reminds me of the 'Women should get back in the kitchen thread' where the threadstarter eventually pointed out he merely wanted to state women and men aren't the same and thus not equal, as if he was really oblivious to the fact it is not about physical equality, but about equal opportunities. Ah well, maybe he was oblivious to that.

I think living as a society by the principle that some person with less luck where it comes to their physique is not as worthless as a crippled herd animal would be in the wild is pretty damn great. It would suck if we would rigidly live by the right of the strongest principle because 'hey, we're not all equal! Why live as if we are?'
    If I recall right the OP of this thread should see the logic in this. As he would also suffer more if we wouldn't see people with chronical diseases as having similar or even greater potential in a certain field (they are less equal after all)

scratcho and Okiefreak like this.
  5. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Now that your main premise has been addressed and shut down fairly quickly and easily

Can I just ask -

are you saying you want people to think you're an intellectual, dignified, superior racist rather than the typical inferior redneck stereotype of a racist? Is that right?

6. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

You 'yearn'? Whether you're right or wrong is purely academic anyway (I assume you're not working on this topic for your Ph.D. or something) so what's the big deal? I'm sure there are plenty of people of your race (and other races) with higher abilities than you possess and plenty with lower abilities. Who cares? Ethics and character are more important anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2018
    McFuddy, scratcho and Okiefreak like this.
  7. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Today's society has created a situation where we tend to judge ability by how much money a person makes.
    In reality, many people who are successful at making money have little talent along with a greedy and selfish personality. They are not my choice of friends.
    In my opinion, their are only two types of people in this world, good and bad. Nothing else makes any difference at the end of the day.

8. Asmodean

^
    People are rarely either good or bad. Sometimes even their actions can't be put that simple. Like for example when the intent is good but the outcome bad.

9. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Your version of the facts is not only unimportant to me, it's bordering on... I don't know. :sunglasses::sweatsmile:

10. I'm Dutch, so just feel fortunate we let the rest of you live at all, okay rudenoodle.

11. Asmodean

True. We all live by the mercy of the dutch.

But I never would have guessed you're dutch as well :p

neonspectraltoast likes this.
  12. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Hey, Stephen Hawking!

13. I've seen the same thing over several decades. At first I thought as many do that wealthy people simply HAD to be smarter than the rest of us. As time wore on and I worked for different employers I began to see the cracks in that premise. The most "successful" people (as measured in dollars, square footage of their house and value of their automobile) had one major thing in common, they were cunning predators and sociopaths. They didn't need actual knowledge to make progress in life, they were fully versed with skills for taking complete advantage of everyone they encountered.

I worked on and off for a team of these creatures on contract projects for 12 years. It was ruthless, but the money was stellar. Still, for every hour they paid me fifty bucks, they charged their client double and triple for my work product. I finally made a break from them when I realized there was never going to be a future with them and I was stagnating my own path by jumping for their easy cash. Still, it took me a dozen years to smarten up and those assholes probably had me sized up as a sucker in the first 20 minutes.

What's funny to me now though is how many sociopathic/psychopathic employers employ aggressive, hostile, domineering and even humiliating tactics to keep their grasp on control. I was a sailor. I've been verbally abused by the best, so when one of these corporate assholes attempts this shit with me I have to fake the response they want or they don't shut the hell up. A few times I just couldn't do it and busted out laughing.

The best was a director at an aircraft plant who was screaming at me for being 1/32nd of an inch off on a tool jig. It reminded me of boot camp and I just howled with laughter in his face. I said something like "do you really think that shit works on me"? He instantly said "you're fired" to which I said "fine, I no longer have to listen to your whiney ass". I took a job in another shop making fiberglass fixtures and was called back by the personnel department at the aircraft plant a week later asking me to come back. I said something like "but I thought I was too incompetent to work there". I already knew from a coworker I met for beer and billiards that they were having a hell of a time working out the way I set up the database to handle scrap accounting.

I fixed it for them at a substantially higher rate, off site so I wouldn't have to deal with the resident psycho and for more money. The psycho did me a favor by introducing me to the concept of Double-Dipping (making twice the money by working 2 jobs at the same time with only a marginal increase in actual hours).

As far as equality goes, we have to find the actual laws and statutes that can be proven to limit the potential for it. However, we can't just blindly say that everyone is the same or we'll have to assume that an accountant is not more talented than a dog groomer. Who would you really want balancing the company books? And comparing pay rates is only possible in rigidly identical circumstances. At the moment I know at least 20 women who make more money than I do, even though I've been working longer. But I can clearly see that they are more qualified and are not doing the same job I do. So grousing about how much they make would be pure foolishness on my part.

On the racial side of it I have heard that I'm an inferior human strata simply because I have less melanin in my skin. Such statements always make me think of Mengele. The people spewing this crap lack the education or will to learn how close they are to some of the worst racists of the human era. The plain facts are there, if you think your "race" is superior to others, you're an arrogant racist. The same argument can be made for hating someone simply because of their color, gender or political affiliation; if you think you're better, you clearly have no concept of equality.

Okiefreak, scratcho and wilsjane like this.
  14. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Further down that page:

That is, they werent including slaves at the time, when the DOI was written

Slavery wasnt abolished in the north until 27 years later in 1804

There was an exemption in the 1780 act for slaves owned by members of congress

That is, slavery didnt technically end in the North until 1847, 71 years after the Declaration of Independance

That is, they werent talking about slaves with the all men are equal/all men are free bit, at the time. Jefferson owned hundreds of slaves

From Lincoln Himself in 1858:

15. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

You clearly share my views.
    I have been lucky to have worked with some of the worlds most talented people, not to mentioned the skilled craftsmen who helped me build the theaters to make my work possible. The one thing that none of them ever discussed was extra payment for making the special nights happen.
    I wonder how a few of your ex-workers would have reacted, if you had casually asked them to be very careful tonight, because their are 67 million people watching your work. LOL No doubt they would have expected you to hire a truck to deliver their pay.
    My reply in this thread will give you a good idea of what brings me joy. Just seeing the reaction to this work below on the night of the premier made weeks of my work seem all worthwhile.

Who is the most important person or Celebrity you have met.

16. Reminds me of an old joke about a bear that wanted to be a rabbi, Yentl Ben!

wilsjane likes this.
  17. MeAgain

I don't know what your point is but, slaves weren't considered full persons at the time the constitution was written.

Jefferson, Washington and others inherited slaves and were against the unconditional freeing of slaves for the fear of seeing them starve to death as they had no place to go and no means of support.
    He was for the gradual release and education of slaves, criticized the British for the slave trade, helped ban the importation of slaves to Virginia, he proposed federal banning slavery in the New Territories, and led in the criminalization of the slave trade.

18. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Come on seriously? Jefferson didnt free his slaves because he was worried they would starve to death? As opposed to you know, paying them maybe?

I dare you to say that to the next black person you run into

My point is, many seem to deify these guys into something they are not. They were business guys protecting their own arses

The declaration of independance is a different thing to the constitution

banning the atlantic slave trade was part of banning everything from Britain, hurting Britain. The act banning slavery in all territories came 30 years after the declaration of independance, and that was only about new slaves, it was yet another 40 years until existing slaves and the clause in the constitution about runaway slaves was overuled...after Jeffersons death

Meanwhile in Europe, we go back to Iceland in 1117, the first to ban slavery, France in 1315, England arguably in 1574 under Elizabeth I rule, 1530 Spain bans slavery of native americans - 77 years before Jamestown was even settled

So, how do you think it all would have looked like to the Europeans at the time, Going on about how great a guy Jefferson was when most of europe had already banned slavery before Jefferson was even born, and he was all for the gradual abolition of slavery - after he knew he'd be long gone and it didnt affect him financially

If anyone should be heralded as the first to really do something about slavery it should be John Adams, who wrote the Massachusetts constitution and their supreme court freeing all slaves 3 years later in 1783. Adams was your 2nd President, Jefferson your 3rd. Ask yourself why Jefferson didnt do in Virginia what Adams did in Massachusetts. Even when he became President (1801-1809), he still didnt free all slaves in his home state of Virginia, even though Massachusetts had done it up to 26 years earlier

I encouraged you to read this An Act for the Gradual Abolition of Slavery - Wikipedia

neonspectraltoast likes this.
  19. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I think too though they had religious convictions that made slavery less of a draw. People will believe what they want about this, but it seems to me that we had more than a background in business at the foundation of the United States. And we have come a whole lot of way since Abraham Lincoln had reservations about equality among men. I believe we have a new understanding is what I'm saying that does include all people. We may struggle, but there is an understanding none the less that indeed all people are equal. I'm not here to argue about whether Abraham Lincoln is fallible. He was probably a heck of a guy but I don't know all that much about him to be saying one way or the other.

20. MeAgain

It's well documented that Jefferson feared the outright freeing of slaves would render them helpless and might lead to a race war.
    He couldn't pay his own slaves as he was continually in debt. At one time he even tried to sell Monticello in a lottery. He, Washington, Monroe, and Hamilton all died in debt.

To say that Jefferson was nothing more than a "businessman" and didn't care about people or slaves is intellectually deficient, in my opinion.
    It's true that he thought blacks were inferior and he thought they should be sent back to Africa, which at the time wasn't all that bad of an idea as many of them were recently kidnapped from there. He also was looking out for his own interests and those of his neighbors. His holdings would collapse into further ruin without free labor.

But to say that was his only concern is to ignore his own writings and the situation he found himself in.

You seem to be making the argument that because Europe banned slavery before the U.S. did we should assume that Jefferson approved of slavery. Am I right?

Then you compare Adams in Massachusetts to Jefferson in Virginia and assume they faced the same situation.
    Massachusetts' economy was based on manufacturing, not agriculture as was Virginia's. In 1755 slaves only made up 2.2% of the total population, the highest it ever got. In 1754 there were only 4,500 slaves in the entire colony.
    In the mid 1700's there were 145,000 slaves in the Chesapeake Bay region alone. In many Virginia counties slaves made up 50 to 75% of the population. Overall slaves made up 43.91% of Virginia'stotal population in 1750.
    You can't reasonably compare apples to oranges.

I've read the Act for the Gradual Abolition of Slavery before. What about it?