How far should our vegan protests go?

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by unfocusedanakin, Feb 16, 2019.

1. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

I do not support the animal rights people who think it's OK to commit violence in the name of animal rights. I agree that in a farm setting these animals are suffering. But how do we help that by committing violence on people? This only makes them believe the stereotype of the militant vegan.

We can sneak onto the farm and unlock all the cages but people still want meat. That farmer will only get more. We need to stop the problem at the source. Make people not want meat. The best way to do that is with kindness and ethics. We need to represent ourselves as the best we can be. The number of vegans in the world is growing. We are still a small minority but we grow.

If we care for animals we care for humans who are just another kind of animal. We can not harm them either! Even if they make choices we do not like.

2. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

3. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

So I should shoot the farmer who keeps his chickens 100's to a pen since he will not listen?

4. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

No you shouldn't I just figured you'd like the idea.

5. Visexual

Visexual Member

If we used even half of the taxpayer dollars that we give to farm subsidies to research, we could have meat without harming a single animal. All we'd need is a few of each species and all that would be required is taking a very small specimen from them. But those farmers and ranchers enjoy their subsidies. So we'll probably never see a humane source for our carnivorous delights.

Driftrue likes this.
  6. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Over the years, I have found that the best way to get people to be kinder to animals and adopt a plant based diet is to lead by example. Preaching never works because it makes people defensive, and the people who actually take the time to listen are probably already doing their own research or taking action to reduce their meat consumption.

I have had a few friends who simply had no idea what "vegetarian" or "vegan food" looked like--they assumed it was a separate entity than "real food." But once they see that veggie food is just, well, food, it makes the whole diet seem much more approachable.

I am always happy to have a discussion with people about food ethics--it's one of my favorite topics, but I have also learned which people to engage with. If I start talking to someone and they can't stop making childish comments about vegetarianism, then I just move on and enjoy my meal :).

unfocusedanakin likes this.
  7. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I used to know a guy who picketed outside a McDonald's if I'm remembering his story accurately. I think it was a "meat is murder" thing he had going. He also had some pretty graphic videos to share (this was well before YouTube was a thing, circa 1998 or so) with electrodes being used to test animals for some illicit purpose. I didn't like watching the videos. :( Poor animals.

8. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

^
    Nobody likes watching those vids. It's not about enjoying the images or story though. I just hope he informed correctly. Some take the grossest examples and act like its common practice. Obviously misleading and not the way to go.

9. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Focus your protest.
    Have an end goal, and how to meet it. Even for just the day.

I typically protest in the marketplace. I do not support companies that test or experiment on animals (aside from some medical. That’s my grey area)
    However, I’m not a heavy duty consumer, so me withholding my cash isn’t much of a bite. So awareness matters. And tone definitely matters.
    I’m an honorary auntie to a kiddo who is 9. His family is meat eating, hunting, the whole lot.
    I show more aware choices he can make. Food will be the last frontier for him. I’m just trying to demonstrate how good veggies can taste. It helps that the man I date, kiddo’s honorary uncle, is a huge advocate of a plant heavy diet. He is also omnivorous, but shows a form of masculinity that isn’t based on taking an animal life for sport, and enjoys large salads at every meal.

I also don’t rate animal rights as my number one issue. I will select used leather/wool/silk over plastic/nylon/unsustainable options. Simply because the animals still need an earth.
    I think we could get the ancillary uses of animals stopped, entertainment, cosmetic experiments, overbreeding of pets, etc as we lessen the developed world’s use of animal protein.

Meat eating has risen with keto/primal/ whatever the excuse is this week. It is important to lessen animal deaths. And yes, eventually decrease the numbers of animals in agriculture.

I do not see a meat free future. I see balance, and veg*ns are part of bringing that about.