Star Wars: The Last Jedi’

Discussion in 'New Movies' started by hotwater, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I don't plan on going for 3D ever again. Don't care for it.

(The people who do care for it are stupid and have no taste :grinning:)

Irminsul likes this.
  2. Toggle Almendro

Toggle Almendro Banned

Consider an exception if you ever see the Marvel Doctor Strange movie. It was meant for 3D.

The 2016 Jungle Book movie was pretty good in 3D too. Nothing spectacular like Doctor Strange, but they did a really nice job.

3. I wish my local theater had 3D. Even though the only time I ever saw 3D in a theater I hyperventilated. But that was probably because I smoked pot. A lot of times it seems if I smoke pot before going to a movie I have a panic attack.

4. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

3D was a bad idea in the 1950s, it was a bad idea during a mini revival back in the 1980s with Friday the 13th Part 3 3D, Amityville 3D, and Jaws 3D,
    even Poltergeist II: The Other Side was slated for 3D but after the financial failure of several other 3D movies that idea was scrapped.

No doubt however with the expansion of IMAX as a showcase for 3D movies along with improved technology (Digital 3D as opposed to film) it’s finally ready
    to wow us albeit 70 years since the idea first took hold.

5. Toggle Almendro

Toggle Almendro Banned

I agree regarding the tech improvement. But I'm not so sure that IMAX and 3D make a great combination.

I find 2K resolution spread over a giant screen kind of yucky. And all 3D versions of Hollywood movies are 2K.

Plus, if it isn't a Laser IMAX (or one of the old 70MM installations), IMAX projectors are 2K even if the source material is 4K.

Where IMAX shines is with 4K movies played in their theaters with laser projectors.

List of Laser IMAX theaters:
    IMAX WITH LASER IS HERE

List of which movies are 4K and which are not 4K:
    Simplified List

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  6. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Yeah, Force awakens was the last movie I saw in 3D, any never again, the 3D part that is, its just annoying

And that was at Imax, go the extra trouble to go to a big super dooper screen, then pay $2 extra to get a quarter of it blocked by the rim of the glasses

7. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Fuckin hell man, Jurassic World 2 has already made $US730 million in 5 days

See the argument on whether Solo was good or not is irrelevant, just put a bunch of CGI dinosaurs on screen and people will come in droves

Or giant gorillas like in Rampage, that was a stupid fricken movie, Jurassic World 1 was a stupid fricken movie with no story, I doubt 2 is any better on the story front

Same thing is happening to movies that happened to music, we are just getting this generic mass appeal shit where no one has to think for themselves anymore

8. hotwater

Yeah it's crazy only Avengers infinity War and Black Panther has outdone Jurassic world 2 in 2018

[​IMG]

Apparently the movie at some point makes fun of President Donald Trump which is almost enough incentive to get me out of my air conditioned house this weekend
    (despite the roaring temps and heat index near 100 F) to see this CGI menagerie

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  9. Toggle Almendro

Toggle Almendro Banned

My priorities are straight at least. I spent more to see Solo in 4K on a 70 foot screen than I did to see Jurassic World 2 at the nearest multiplex.

Rampage was based on a video game that itself had no plot (so I'm told). So it was kind of to be expected that the movie would also not have much of a plot.

By itself, Jurassic World 2 was not as good as 1. But this is apparently going to be a trilogy. It is possible that the plot directions in 2 are going to lead to something interesting in 3.

Major Jurassic World 2 spoiler: At the end of 2, all the dinosaurs (including the T-rex) are set free in the United States (without the permission of the US government). Presumably, much mayhem will result from this turn of events.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  10. hotwater

11. hotwater

‘STAR WARS EPISODE IX’ is set to do some filming late this month at Cardington Airship Sheds located in Bedforshire, which has been the location used for Yavin IV in the past

[​IMG]

12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I can't see 3D movies. :p my eyes aren't good enough. Unless maybe if I wear blue and red celophane glasses like in the old dinosaur 3D books. :D

13. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

It was supposed to be based on the game but in the game it was people that turned into giant apes or lizards. When they were beaten down they turned human again. So basically it just had the name and big animals in common.

14. hotwater

Part of the reason we hate the prequels

15. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

youthful anakin was pretty cute. i liked his temper too. people make him out to be this bad guy, but he's just a teen. he's just young. power tripped bros. and he paid for that all his life living all fucked. all he wanted was love :(

16. hotwater

The Phantom Menace, is widely considered by most people to be the worst movie in the franchise, and Jake Lloyd is at least partially responsible for its failure.
    The fact that he’s cute and yet still an insufferable little brat, should be all the proof you need that his on-screen demeanor and acting was below acceptable standards.

He was miscast along with the older Anakin Skywalker played by Hayden Christensen in the other two prequels.

I feel sorry for Lloyd, his life has gone downhill since the Phantom Menace from mental health issues to serving 10 months in prison on a wide variety of charges.

17. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Nobody made Lucas use those actors or the takes that he did.

18. Asmodean

Neither toddler Anakin or teenage Anakin was a miscast imo. I agree they both had their annoying aspects but hey, i find most cute toddlers annoying. Teenage Anakin was not supposed to be likeable. But the acting wasn't that bad. Most people seem to exaggerate stuff because they didn't like how Anakin succumbed to the dark side. It had to be more dramatic or theatrical etc. etc. Sorry guys, he was just a troubled teen of which others had too high expectations (the best age and circumstances to get lured in by the dark side)

19. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

No dude, the acting WAS that frickin bad

20. Asmodean

Not allover. Some people just are like that :p You didn't want Anakin to be like that. Now you blame everything except your own expectations.