Do you think G*d ever visits your church

Published by Duncan in the blog Duncan's Blog. Views: 149

My adopted People are the Unitarian-Universalists in a Southern Californian city.

Wiki describes it as such:

"Unitarian Universalism (otherwise referred to as UUism or UU) is a liberal religion characterized by a "free and responsible search for truth and meaning". Unitarian Universalists assert no creed, but instead are unified by their shared search for spiritual growth.

"These traditions are summarized by the Six Sources and Seven Principles of Unitarian Universalism, documents recognized by all congregations who choose to be a part of the Unitarian Universalist Association."

I liken it to my childhood time in the Scouts of America. The organization attempts to instill a sense of doing the right things for our fellow humans and the planet. We think in terms of having scarce and precious resources and tend not to waste. This is reflected in much of the conspicuous consumption of the capitalist society; disposable items such as plates and utensils, eating fractional amounts of food and tossing away the rest, running water needlessly, heating water needlessly, excessive use of fossil fuels. The list goes on.

Of course there are times when we are sometimes in conflict with one another. We have to work within a paradigm of the laws of the land. Naturally, it's easier and more advantageous when one's home base is a liberal place (city, state, country). We believe in providing refuge or safe harbor for someone who might be persecuted or killed in the homeland.

Sometimes, though, I do feel as if something is terribly lacking. Today, for example, the minister was talking about losing something and then finding what was lost. She went further into the metaphoric meaning of this and used the terms lost, redemption, and salvation. These are not aspects of my historic religious belief system and not anything I'm planning on adding to the group.

I also have no intention or plans of bringing my monotheistic G*d into the group. If I wanted the relationship with Him I would probably work and reading Biblical Hebrew and participate in ongoing prayers of exaltation.

My original question here is a wonder if G*d ever presents at the U-U church in this Southern CA city. His name is never mentioned. Historic references from the Good Book are actually few and far between. He, no doubt, is happy that the flock has activities for young children, that the land is fertile and tended to, and that there is fellowship at the end of the hour of service.

Not sure what it is I seek. I attend less and less (although I do send in a weekly pledge). Things are just a little weak with my spirit; someone who is in the hopes of finding something more meaningful than what it is that is offered.
You need to be logged in to comment
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice