Cleaning Up the Hen House

Published by Duncan in the blog Duncan's Blog. Views: 455

Before I start today's entry I came upon a strange thought (something new under the sun!). Folks might look at the number of views in my journal and say to themselves that this must really be some hot writing since it's got so many views. Let the word go forward that I look at the journal about 2-3 times a day. So, inadvertantly, I myself am unintentionally raising the view number counter.
The chickens are very low tech. The guy that I buy my supplies from isn't on the internet. Neither is the grain and milling company that bags the feed that the hens consume. I just drive to El Monte in the VW, drop the top, throw the bags in the back seat and putt-putt my way back home.
Some folks really think that if a company doesn't have a space on the world-wide-web that there must be something shady about the company. I shrug. These people don't even have answering machines. Wanna know their hours? Call up when someone's there and ask them!
The aviary has finally reached a point where the smell is somewhat bothersome. Ah the joys of living in a town that gets hot and dry during the summer. So I went outside with a broom and swept the dirt floor. And I went outside with a rake, and I raked the dirt floor. And I went outside and I watered the dirt floor. Next stop, I guess, will be to take some bottled bleach and spritz the woodthat holds everything up.
Back when this house was built in the pre-Depression 1920s era, there was really nothing here, but a few bungalows (i.e. shacks) with citrus trees and free-range hens. Nowadays, there are lots of feral cats, squirrels, 'possum, unleashed hounds and an occasional falcon. Most folks don't keep chickens here 'cause they claim they are dirty and too much bother. Like a feral cat that uses your lawn as its litter box is clean as the Board of Health!
Anyway, it's Sunday and I have the day off and both Friday the 13th and Bastille Day have come and gone without incident. A good day to relax and eat comfort food :)
You need to be logged in to comment
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice