~Zen~

Air tanker dropping a load in my back yard.

~Zen~, Sep 24, 2019

Ask me why I left California. Look at the picture, think.

Air tanker dropping a load in my back yard.
Hi Honey I'm Gnome likes this.
    • Driftrue
      Stunning picture...
      ZenKarma likes this.
    • ~Zen~
      @Driftrue crazy times. They have an even bigger air tanker dropping fire retardant. Scary as shit when one comes over you and drops a load. The force of the download can snap trees and kill people if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time. The stuff they drop is nasty as well. So happy I left California.
    • Driftrue
      What is it dropping? Never heard of this before.
    • ~Zen~
      @Driftrue Fire retardant. A mix of chemicals, they usually won't say what. It's not water.
    • Driftrue
      @ZenKarma to put out a fire, or prevent fire happening?

Sounds unwise.
    • granite45
      Many years ago I worked on a project fire in the Yaak River MT valley. We were alerted to the dangers of retardant drops. At that time it was phoscheck to help revegetate the burn area. It’s not unwise because its used in particularly dangerous situations when other options don’t work by themselves.
    • anythingonce
      As a life long southern California resident (53 years and counting) I can tell you that the “stuff” is iron oxide (rust) mixed with fertilizer. It’s red from the oxidation and it helps the aerial fire crews see where they’ve already dumped it. Anyone that tells you it’s bad doesn’t know what they’re talking about and would apparently they would rather burn.

it is a fire retardant, not an extinguisher.

it has saved countless homes, lives and acres of land. It’s a good thing.
      granite45 likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    California
    Uploaded By:
    ~Zen~
    Date:
    Sep 24, 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice