Click to shop at Herbies Head Shop
Photo
- - - - -

The Internet Is Killing Mainstream News, How Far Will They Go To Fight Back ?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 Meliai

Meliai

• PipPipPip
  • 11,998 posts

Posted March 20 2017 - 06:39 PM

Verison and T Mobil are both private enterprises, can they censor my words and texts when I am communication with people using my phone ?

How about applying the term public utility to social media, it fa cimplies that social media websites are public necessities, and, consequently, should be regulated by the government and protected by the 1st amendment.

when you sign up for twitter, facebook, etc you sign a terms of service agreement.

Also - twitter is a little different from facebook, I dont use twitter so I am going to focus mostly on facebook here - but facebook is a for profit company that functions by data mining your information, your hobbies, anything you reference in status updates, plus information you input into any other websites while logged into facebook on the same device - your amazon searches, google searches, etc...and then they turn around and sell this data to advertisers and create very personalized, targeted advertisements created just for you!

This isnt remotely like a public utility...facebook has done a fantastic job at convincing the public their purpose is to connect people with other people and events, but they're just a plain ol' data mining company at their core. As such you really shouldnt expect much as far as how they allow news to filter down to you. More than likely their "news" is just as equally targeted as their advertisements

Edited by Meliai, March 20 2017 - 06:41 PM.

• Asmo likes this

Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens ~Tolkien

#22 NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas

Old Fart

• PipPipPip
  • 7,446 posts
  • LocationIn the bowels of all mankind

Posted March 20 2017 - 06:41 PM

Verison and T Mobil are both private enterprises, can they censor my words and texts when I am communication with people using my phone ?

How about applying the term public utility to social media, it implies that social media websites are public necessities, and, consequently, should be regulated by the government and protected by the 1st amendment.

Yup, they certainly could and can, BUT big fucking difference between a phone service provider and Facebook or youtube;

what was your last monthly bill for youtube?

how about facebook, how much do you pay a month for facebook?

With a phone service provider you are paying for a service. How many subscribers do you think they would get if they censored calls and texts????

being free services, youtube and facebook can do whatever they like and you can whine and cry all day and night about it, but it won't change the fact that they don't owe you a fucking thing whatsoever because you don't pay for the service.

next time actually take few minutes to consider and think about a topic before pounding on your keyboard.

and social media sites are NOT public necessities.....LOL

I'm so tired of dumb-asses......

Edited by NoxiousGas, March 20 2017 - 06:42 PM.

"Do the walls close in and suffocate ya,
you ain't got no friends and all the others they hate ya,
does the life you been leading gotta go?"

"get your shoes and socks on people,
it's right around the corner"

"the poodle bi-i-ites,
the poodle chews it"