The Internet Is Killing Mainstream News, How Far Will They Go To Fight Back ?

Discussion in 'The Media' started by TheGreatShoeScam, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Meliai

Meliai Banned

when you sign up for twitter, facebook, etc you sign a terms of service agreement.

Also - twitter is a little different from facebook, I dont use twitter so I am going to focus mostly on facebook here - but facebook is a for profit company that functions by data mining your information, your hobbies, anything you reference in status updates, plus information you input into any other websites while logged into facebook on the same device - your amazon searches, google searches, etc...and then they turn around and sell this data to advertisers and create very personalized, targeted advertisements created just for you!

This isnt remotely like a public utility...facebook has done a fantastic job at convincing the public their purpose is to connect people with other people and events, but they're just a plain ol' data mining company at their core. As such you really shouldnt expect much as far as how they allow news to filter down to you. More than likely their "news" is just as equally targeted as their advertisements

2 people like this.
  2. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Yup, they certainly could and can, BUT big fucking difference between a phone service provider and Facebook or youtube;
    what was your last monthly bill for youtube?
    how about facebook, how much do you pay a month for facebook?

With a phone service provider you are paying for a service. How many subscribers do you think they would get if they censored calls and texts????

being free services, youtube and facebook can do whatever they like and you can whine and cry all day and night about it, but it won't change the fact that they don't owe you a fucking thing whatsoever because you don't pay for the service.

next time actually take few minutes to consider and think about a topic before pounding on your keyboard.

and social media sites are NOT public necessities.....LOL

I'm so tired of dumb-asses......

3. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

I think mainstream news is killing itself for profits, as it has for decades now. Youtube is now also making changes to "kill" many of it's content creators for the exact same reasons. The strong arm of the all mighty rich conservative sponsors.

1 person likes this.
  4. alice_d_millionaire

alice_d_millionaire Just Do It©

Demonetization of YouTubers channels is certainly one way. Remember like a couple weeks ago? When WSJ put out a hit piece about how advertisers' spots ran before heinous and offensive content so a bunch of advertisers cut ties with YouTube?

5. mizzymorrison

mizzymorrison Sage

There is more real news on YouTube than anywhere in your mainstream news outlets. I can't speak for Facebook because I do go there. But if you want to find real journalism just dig around. It's there. Do your own fact checking to back it up too. Try that with any of the big news and you find holes and lies all through their "news"

1 person likes this.
  6. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

That describes Wikileaks. The problem is that the majority of Americans have consistently insisted that the government and mass media they call evil lie to them for their own protection. That includes declaring any independent news agency that does any real investigative reporting concerning the US an enemy of the state. Ironically, Al Jazeera is now widely considered the most comprehensive and objective news outlet in the world, but even they leave most of the really serious investigative reporting up to organizations like Wikileaks which have the resources to fend off the attacks of the US government which, these days, declares almost anything a state secret. Hell, we even elected a president who refuses to release his income tax returns because the corruption has become so complete the only way to continue on this course is to make virtually anything that involves serious money or power a state secret, while the NSA routinely monitors the emails and phone calls of a third of the nation that has neither power nor money and commercial companies including your ISP can now sell anyone's information to the highest bidder and spy on everything you do on your computer.

The wealthy, of course, invest billions in quantum encryption and whatnot to prevent having to share our fate and have become indistinguishable from the government. Not only can the NSA plug their computers directly into any phone company's servers, but they have vans packed with equipment that can monitor all the phone calls going to cellphone towers anywhere in the world and US submarines physically tap into underwater cables to monitor communications worldwide using computers that search for anything interesting. For about $650.oo dollars you can buy a phone with quantum encryption to, hopefully, avoid their computerized snooping but, I wouldn't hold my breath and have no clue what they charge for the service or whether they allow the NSA to spy on their customers which is certainly not unheard of. Its the best justice that money can buy which is why people are protesting and rioting in the streets because their democracy has been sold to the highest bidder and all the news agencies are headed towards declaring themselves "entertainment" just like Fox News so they can't be sued for spouting total bullshit.

1 person likes this.
  7. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

I recently found Al Jazeera English on YouTube and It actually reminded me of what CNN was like when it first came out.

CNN really changed, what happened ?

8. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

What happened is that a majority of Americans have insisted the government and mass media they call evil lie to them for their own protection. The moment that the evil empire collapsed some wit commented that the price of freedom went up dramatically in the free world and just keeps increasing on a yearly basis. Instead of a constitution we now have the best justice that money can buy and have elected Donald Duck as president because its illegal to vote for Mickey Mouse in the state of Maryland. The insanity of the Roman Empire makes sense only as the lowbrow comedy of both the mindless masses and the wealthy merely following the money and weapons wherever they lead like so many cattle ready to stampede over the cliff or a mindless mob ready to storm the palace.

9. Scratched

Scratched Members

When someone gets sued for plagiarism, it might slow down...