Zombie movies?

Discussion in 'Horror Movies' started by IronGoth, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Azog 150

Azog 150 Member

Saw resident evil 2, thought it was bollocks to be honest. The Zombie dogs were cool though.

I find fast moving Zombies more scary, but I prefer the slow moving zombies to be honest. I just like the idea of big swarms of slow moving, brain loving, killing machines- like someone said the un-naturalness of something moving oh so slowly to chase its victim.....but you know what they say slow and steady wins the race.

I like the less action orientated, but instead zombie survival films. Of course you to have at least one bit in a zombie movie where some guy goes insane and has a last stand kinda thing, taking out as many as he can before being overwelmed or running out of ammo.

BTW anyone played Dead Rising? Great zombie game if you ask me, has the classic zombies in a mall, sutible gore, insane people, humour aspects and the a hell load of ways to kill them.

2. glasgow 69

glasgow 69 Member

I liked Resident Evil 2 because it had charecters in it from the games (Jill, Carlos and Nemisis).
    Not played Dead Rising but it sounds good.

3. peacechicka1

peacechicka1 Member

House of the Dead did suck. Romero I have to say is the best at doing zombie movies. Love him!

4. RZK8224

RZK8224 Member

OK I'm big on the whole Zombie genre which is the only reason I chose other on that poll. I like the slow moving George A Romero movie type ones but I do enjoy 28 days/ weeks tango and also Zach Snyders re do of Dawn of the dead

5. evil i 13

evil i 13 Senior Member

don't ya love how there's ALWAYS that one asshole who refuses to disclose to everyone else that he's been bit.

6. FreeEverything

FreeEverything Member

I really like "Return of the Living Dead" :) The first 1 is the best!!!

7. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

did any1 else notice that in the original dawn of the dead, at the airfield, despite having a hammer in his hand, the pilot decides to attack the lone zombie WITH HIS ARMPIT and then immediately falls over. instead of offering any assistance his girlfriend looks at a zombie, then a hammer, then a zombie, then a hammer, zombie hammer, zombie and so on until her obviously stupid boyfriend kills the zombie himself and then gives his girlfriend a look of pure "WTF"

this simple 10 second segment had a group of drunken teenagers collapsiing in uncontrollable laughter. what a CLASSIC film that was.

i'm a slow zombie fella meself.something about their shambolic determination. their blind ignorance and ungainly posture puts me in mind of a cross between bambi learning to walk and a drunk trying to play air guitar on a treadmill.

8. evil i 13

evil i 13 Senior Member

yeah... those movies were great. remind me to host my next party in a graveyard with a punk rock whore as the guest of honor. Rave to the Grave was pretty great too.

9. Bronson

Bronson Banned

I did not see the remake of Dawn of the Dead until two years after its release. For this, I feel I have wasted two years of my life.

The film ranks as one of my favorites and, disregarding Shaun of the Dead, is easily my favorite of the zombie genre. However, I was surprised to find that many did not share my feelings. As my research suggests, the biggest point of contention seems to come down to whether or not zombies should have the ability to run.

As tradition dictates, zombies generally possess capabilities of movement somewhat akin to that of a retarded turtle. They are slow; they are stupid. Not so with the newer breeds we're seeing. These zombies are fast. They're still pretty stupid, but now they're stupid and fast.

And people are angry.

But why, I ask? Why should the zombie be denied his right to run? Barring any conclusive medical research on the zombie, we cannot say for certain that it is any kind of a biological issue. Therefore, I see no alternative but to accept it as a matter of personal taste.

2004's Dawn of the Dead was the one film which really turned me on to the zombie genre as a whole. By its doing so, I discovered 28 Days Later, of which I am also an avid fan. The common ground between the two, the uniting thread in this weave of awesome, is the simple fact that the zombies, the infected, can run. Perhaps it's just me, perhaps I am just that much of a badass, but I don't really see the point in being afraid of something that can't travel any faster than an electric shopping cart. If I can outrun you without ever actually running, there's a flaw in your predatory execution.

To me, that's what created so much of the tension in Dawn of the Dead. Once they were inside that mall, there really was no place for them to go without putting themselves in a ridiculous amount of danger. Step outside, even if there aren't any around at the moment, and it's not going to end well for you.

Had the zombies only been able to stumble around as usual, the survivors could have easily just gone out and started picking them off, retreat back into the mall if they start to get overwhelmed, repeat as needed. I realize the strength-in-numbers angle, the overwhelming droves, but it's the difference between being attacked by a swarm of bees and being attacked by a pack of venomous earthworms. Hell, you could slap some two-inch needle-tip fangs on those worms, and I'd still rather take them on than the bees.

I'm willing to discuss other points of view, to listen to any other opinions on the matter. But when it comes down to it, I know I'm right. And I'm pretty sure you do too.

10. Lustandlove

Lustandlove Member

Surely someone must have mentioned the Evil Dead movies? When I was a kid a movie that I saw on T.V. at my uncle's house in Goleta, California was Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things. I was up late all by myself and it was foggy and eerie outside late at night. Delightful! :^)

11. blackcat666

blackcat666 Senior Member

zombie freaks, and not one of you, even mention the first zombie movie ever made! i am refering to the 1920 german movie, 'the cabinet of Dr. Caligari.' in many respects this was the first major zombie movie. i would say this movie is the "best" of the classic zombie movies. there is no doubt, that the modern era of zombie movies, began in 1968 with romero's 'night of the living dead.' as for the best zombie movie since 2000 c.e. well... i like 'fido' which says alot about the u.s.a. under bush, just like 'land of the dead' did. it's just that 'fido' is soooo... hilarious!

12. Lustandlove

Lustandlove Member

Nicely put! :^) I always recall the scene where a zombie with an overtall head is moving toward the blades of a helicopter on the ground. And you're like: "Gee. I wonder what is going to happen next?" :^)

13. ava

ava Member

the Night of the Living Dead

around 1966, i think, not sure
    black and white
    a terrific movie
    i was sucked in completly

14. gnome89

gnome89 Member

I really liked the old school ones.
    But SOME of the new ones were pretty good too.

15. SunDweller1989

SunDweller1989 Member

I can't really decide between the slow-moving deady in numbers and the fast-moving hunters. But, my vote was based on the last zombie movie I saw, 28 Days Later. Even if they're not technically zombies, it was still pretty good.

16. sexylilunicornbutt

sexylilunicornbutt Member

I voted other: Planet Terror

Not your typical zombie movie. I'm not sure if the zombies are even technically zombies, but I don't know what else you'd call them. Awesome movie.

17. mystical_shroom

mystical_shroom acerbic

The Night of the Living Dead original (1968)... Would have to be my favorite..I prefer the slower moving ones, faster ones just doesn't make it seem as though they are zombies, more like messed up crack addicts...

18. moonislyingstill

moonislyingstill Member

Planet Terror was pretty awesome. Im gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge

19. Son of Peace

Son of Peace Member

Not tryin' to be an ass but what is it about horror movies in general that cats enjoy so much? Is it just gettin' the chance to get the shit scared outta you or what? Cause personally I don't get any good vibes from watchin' people get brutally murdered for no real good reason. I've seen alot of horror movies an' I'd have to say the best zombie related movie I've ever seen was 28 days later. Least it had a decent reason for all the stuff that was in it.

20. LJDV

LJDV Member

Call me a neo movie whore, but I really like Dawn of The Dead.