zero motivation

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by laurenq, Mar 18, 2008.

1. laurenq

laurenq Member

so basically im clinically depressed but im doing really well right now well acutally im functioning pretty well i wouldnt say im doing very well but what ever

but its comming back i have ZERO motivation

ive been working pretty hard in school and have pretty good grades but i only have two more days untill spring break and i feel myself getting really anxious and i doing things because im anxious and i dont know why im fucking anxious but i am and i have been staying up super late doing nothing and im so exausted and ill wake up at night and cant fall back asleep and i was supposed to be able to sleep in today but i was woken up by my brother screaming and ahhh just fuck me basically

2. xexon

xexon Destroyer Of Worlds

You sound all too normal to me.

Burnout is common as the school year winds down. Your brain has worked hard for several months and now it can't sit still.

Part of your problem appears to be your sleep pattern. This affects how your mind and body regulate their functions. Keep it as regular as possible. Get up at the same time and go to bed at the same time. EVERYDAY, if possible to do so.

At your age, you can bounce back quickly. Older folks don't. Establish good habits now for happiness in life later.

x

3. J0hn

J0hn Phantom

I was in A and E this morning. I self harmed and there was a lot of blood. I felt numb. I sat in A and E facing the wall. I could see unconscious men being wheeled in and out of rooms. I saw bloodied faces and nails driven through foot. I was eventually seen. Had some fly stitches and saw a psychiatrist. I have only myself to blame probably. I don't have motivation or self esteem.

After reading this thread, I now know that I aint the only one depressed.I might be chronically depressed. But there are times when I feel really good. Depression is just so awful. I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemies. It is like a slow death, a decay of everything that could be. Darkened rooms with no sunlight. Fear and paranoia eating away at my stability.

4. laurenq

laurenq Member

wow ive tottally said taht to man

yea for me its really high and really low like righ tnow and over the summer i typically get really high but then in the winter im basically fucked so the pattern seems to emerge but yea im fucking high right now and its amazinb but i know how you feel man good luck

5. somethingnew111

somethingnew111 Member

wow, you totally described what I am going through. I was diagnosed with depression at the insane age of 8 or something like that (it runs in the family to a severe extent) and I had been on anti-depressants my whole life. Last January I decided to become more "natural" and stopped taking all medicine and became a vegetarian. This went great for a long time, but then this past october, while I was studying abroad in Scotland, depression hit me like it never has before. I lost all motivation and had to talk to my mom on the phone multiple times a day just to stop crying and for her to try and inspire me to get some work done. I barely got by with my schoolwork there. I started taking anti-depressants again and they helped some, but I was still dealing with a lot of anxiety....including not being able to sleep (which has never been a problem for me). I would have racing thoughts....my legs would always be twitching or my foot tapping....I was always uptight. And I would start worrying about schoolwork....eventually working myself up into a panic, telling myself I was going to fail, lose my scholarship, have to drop out, etc.....I ended up having to change my meds around some and it has helped to a useful extent, but I still struggle with it a lot. I go back and forth on my days. For the last week or so I have been having trouble sleeping, waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to go back to bed for a couple hours. I've lost all motivation for doing my schoolwork.....

I guess its just good to know there are others going through the same things. especially the anxiety stuff, I had never experienced that until this year. I will find my whole body tensed up because I am just so anxious. Right now I think the rest of the battle has to be worked out in my head, but I am definitely not against the use of pharmaceutical drugs to help....I know they have made a big difference for me.

6. laurenq

laurenq Member

wow thanks you make me feel less alone but yea i totally get where your comming from

some of our stories are the same

7. Spiritawakening

Spiritawakening Member

You hzve probarbly already heard of it, but there is something called seasonal affective disorder-maybe not that but something similar. think it occurs from lack of sunlight ie winter.

I heard a story the other day about a phyciatrist and a clinically depressed patient. He told her to each day do one thing to help someone else and to think about this each night before she went to sleep. after two weeks he increased to two things, three weeks to three etc etc. This helped the woman alot. Because she went to bed knowing that, no matter how small, she had made a difference in someone elses life, and that gave her own life meaning.

8. laurenq

laurenq Member

ohh yea for sure sad

i think the weather does effect me cuz it seems to be a pattern that during the winter i can get super depressed and then im usually pretty high during hte summer

hmm ill try it thanks!

9. Spiritawakening

Spiritawakening Member

you are most welcome! i really hope it helps you, even if you only see a small change at first

10. laurenq

laurenq Member

yea well its been pretty sunny in california and i dono im felling pretty high on life i guess you would say but i guess looking back on things i do tend to be pretty happy/normal during the summer and get depressed during the winter/fall so yea

11. fibre1

fibre1 Banned

Hey,

Try the herb rhodiola rosea (800-100 mg in the morning,) along with the supplument 5-HTP (50-100 mg nightly.) Works of me. :)

12. D_MAN

D_MAN Member

That reminds me of Requiem for a Dream a bit too much. But I guess I know what you mean. Expectations usually get me down, and they usually are around school or something, so at least during the spring I stop caring all most all together about school and stop feeling trapped. But I don/t know if thats how it works for you.

In terms of motivation, its hard to get motivated when you question yourself. And talking about it personally makes me less inclined to do something about it, I think.

rhodiola rosea...wtf? I don/t know if you/re on drugs for your depression, but if you/re not already you shouldn/t start. I don/t know though.

13. laurenq

laurenq Member

im drug free!

14. Spiritawakening

Spiritawakening Member

Hey Laura! have you tried St Johns Wort? Its a herbal supplement which is meant to promote a positive mood. I have used it but im not really one too note down results, even in my mind, so im not sure.

15. laurenq

laurenq Member

no i havent but how would you get some of that at like an organic healer store??

16. Spiritawakening

Spiritawakening Member

Do you have health food shops over there? if not im not sure what the places that sell them would be called. basically alteranative health type shops, if you know what i mean. or even a vitamin store may do, but they are more expensive there