Zendik

Discussion in 'Communal Living' started by FREE, May 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greenhornet

Greenhornet Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

The postzendik forum is working again at postzendik.com.

2. moontime

moontime mountain girl

is it down again?
    Ug, I had a run-in with 12 tribes the other day.

3. Greenhornet

4. moontime

moontime mountain girl

Thanks!

5. NotHip

NotHip Member

Whew...glad that's over.....it IS over, isnt' it? This thread, I mean? I started reading it with much interest at the beginning, then I saw more and more postings from people who've never been there, and who were posting things like, "I think I heard someone say that the Zendiks......"

Geez. Haven't we all been the victim of malicious and inaccurate gossip at least once in our lives to learn how destructive that is? And not just to the person or group about whom the rumors are spread. It's a bad habit that gets the gossiper into a situation where no one can really trust them not to find the negative in everyone they meet, and announce it to the world.

After I saw about the fifth post from the woman with the foot picture and the vividly paranoid imagination, the one who kept posting her dreams and fears about Zendik as if they were somehow reality......I realized that this thread was spiraling downward into a fantasy life of postings from people who live their lives looking for drama. They're the ones who hope to be a part of World Trade Center-type disasters so they can be interviewed and tell "where they were when....." and somehow feel important and as if they've had an impact on others. All that kind of crazy melodrama is more scary to me than anything anyone at Zendik could be doing.

All intentional communities are different, with different intent, different regulations, different structure. People who want community should first figure out and be clear about what they themselves are after before going in. If they find a group that doesn't fit, then they can simply move on. There's no need to blast them all over the internet and make stuff up.....just like when you meet someone and think you're in love, but that person doesn't feel the same way. You can spend your energies hating that person for not loving you too, or you can find someone who does.

6. Greenhornet

When reading a thread on a public firum you have to weed out all of the babble and look for the real information. There's some very good information about the Zendiks in this thread along with all of the chatter.

If you read closely, you'll find a lot about the currentt situation at Zendik not to love.

7. rasha

rasha Member

There are also lots of posts by people who were there. I would agree that there are lots of posts here that are crap and do not reflect any of the reality of Zendik Farm, and I have even defended them when I felt the argument had no basis in reality.

Anyway... wow you read the whole thing!

8. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

I have not even read the whole thing yet. I read most of it but it is a huge thread. This will likely go down in history as the thread that would not die. Anyway, it certainly has slowed down quite a bit.

Is anyone here going to their music festival?

If I can get away I am going to go.

Yes it is their group and they tell people up front that their way of life is not for everyone. Why not just let them be. If you support them then go or buy their mag or whatever. If not, then don’t. It truly is that simple. Why the Zendiks get pounded in page after page of this thread for living how they want to live is beyond my understanding.

9. rasha

rasha Member

Because you never lived there...

The argument isn't whether they should be able to live how they want to live. Of course they should. The argument made by most of those who have been there and spent a significant time there is that they say they are one thing and they are really another. The fact is they do not tell you what they are really about. If this were just a case of people not fitting in it would be one thing. This is about literally thousands of people over a 20 year period who gave large chunks of their lives were used for their labor to support Arol and her little "inner core". These people were then kicked out when Arol had no more use for them. Some of them had been with the group for 15 plus years. Why don’t you go and stay for a while before you assume that you know what is going on because you read their propaganda. Remember... I was there for several years and was totally into it. I sold the mag, worked my ass off and studied the philosophy. I can in all honesty say that at best they are hypocrites.

10. Schlüßelberg

Schlüßelberg Member

So, Rasha, it's another "ego-cult" kind of thing, yes? Sort of like a multi-level marketing thing where the peons go out and sell the <magazines, candles,bongs,incense,hammocks> and so on. Amazing these crackpot fucks can still find victims.

One of the things I tried to do when I was younger was to try and let people know when my bullshit meter pegged out. Most people don't want to know when they're being taken, though. If someone wants to believe that they are blond, it's pointless to point out that they are brunette. They won't listen.

This is my BIG PROBLEM with the counterculture, which IMO began right alongside the enlightening. There was a wholesale rejection of science, logic, rational thought, and empiricism which continues to this day.

It is, IMO, this unthinking acceptance of mysticism which allows crackpots to flourish.

Me, I want TRUTH.

11. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

Good luck! ;)

The truth is relative to ones own perspective and experiences. Keep in mind that this thread only tells one side of the story. The few people who keep this thread alive have their view of the truth while the Zendiks have theirs. Somewhere in the middle might be the truth, if such a thing exists.

Just when I thought this thread would (finally)die it pops up again.

12. Greenhornet

I don't think that the truth always exists between the extremes: who knows, the truth might be far worse or far better. And the Truth is different for everyone anyway. You have to figure out what it is for you, yourself. I mean, if you ask the few dedicated Zendiks still on the Zendik Farm they'd tell you that Zendik works great, but I know many former dedicated Zendiks who now see a different truth. Zendik may have worked great for some people for a while, but then turned sour - the place may have been just the thing for many at a certain time in their lives but then they changed or perhaps outgrew the place & moved on.

It goes back to relativity, I suppose, but there are certain things, such as lies, exploitation and hypocrisy that can never be true. We all have to figure that out for ourselves. For some, this thread will be convincing, while for others, it will not be.

As far as I know, Zendik isn't going to hurt you, so those who aren't deterred by reading this thread might want to visit the place, but read the warnings posted throught this thread carefully before you go!

The thread doesn't die because it has the valuable role of providing an open and easily accessible forum about Zendik, a place and an idea which, for better or for worse, has made a significant impression on a large number of people.

13. Greenhornet

What has happened to the Zedik website? It seems to be heading in the direction of the postzendik website (which we hope to revive, but the guy with all of the material has dissapeared into the forests of Hawaii and won't answer our emails). The Zendik website's been essentially blank for over a week. Trouble in paradise?

14. moontime

moontime mountain girl

Hey Green Hornet, just wanted to say hi, I had been wondering what was up with post-zendik. I hope y'all get it back up again soon!
    hugs
    sam

15. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

The Zendik web site seems to be working just fine.

16. Greenhornet

Yeah except that it's mostly blank.

Dalamar, haven't you gone to live at Zendik yet?

17. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

Where is it blank? I have not had any problems accessing their site. I don’t know why it comes up plank for you. Have you changed your browser or firewall settings? Perhaps that could be the problem.

18. FTNW

FTNW Member

Ok. I'm feeling a bit bad about all this, the site not working and all....
    Here's the story....
    I was in Kona but had some troubles at work so I quit that job and moved to a friends place in Puna where we have no electricity but have a phone line. I can connect but with my car battery so I can't stay to long. I have to get a hold of my Host so I can send them $ and re new my old domain name but so far have to get addresses and send money orders.....
    Soon I'll be able to do this. I thought I could this week but we had to come back to kona and work so I'm in a Hotel now and, well, here it is...
    Since I'm not on my computer I'm having trouble getting to the places I need to be to get this all resolved.......
    I promise I'll get it done as soon as I get back to Puna..........

19. Greenhornet

FTNW: it sounds as if your life has become rather crazy! If you think you can get the site back up, we'd be thankful. Let us know if this isn't possible & we can make alternative arrangements.

Dalamar, by gosh my internet is having a problem getting Zendik (sabotage?). I tried an alternate search engine & got the site. But I will comment that the written portion (which I couldn't see earlier) is the same old text they've had up for months and months. Not very evolutionary.

20. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

I agree with you there. I would like to see them update the site more often. They have updated the people section but, not much else. They should put all of fawns old shows on the site and the articles should be updated at least once a month if not more. I think a forum would be a good idea for the site where us non-zendiks can talk to people there, exchange information, and just get to know more about what zendik farm is like. Unfortunately, they are very slow to respond to e-mails, if they bother to respond at all. A forum on their site would solve this problem.

FTNW

Perhaps you should not bare the full weight of running the site. Perhaps if you partnered with other people they could maintain the site when you are unavailable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.