Zendik

Discussion in 'Communal Living' started by FREE, May 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

i think it would be stupid to lock or close the thread. i think this is one of the more important threads on this forum. im not sure if whats happening here is bashing. its people relating thier experiences within a certain cult. tainted or exagerated, who knows, i happen to believe that the criticism is understated, almost as if the past members are a bit ashamed of accepting fully of what they were involved in.
    just my 2 cents, but i see no reason to do anything to this thread.
    im people on this forum with only 2 or 50 posts, although there opinions and viewpoints are equally valid to anyones, shouldnt be calling for threads to be closed. a true seeker of truth knows that letting nature take its course, and lessening your own will, are the true ways to understanding.
    i like that this thread is active, it keeps it fresh in all the young hippies minds that places like this do exist, and i feel this thread is keeping and will keep, several peole, real live souls, from being exploited by the zendik cesspool.

2. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

oh wow, just saw the zendik music fest ad. anyone up for crashin it with a bunch of pot and beer. ill buy a ticket just to make fun of them.

3. rasha

rasha Member

No one makes anyone view this thread. If you are tired of the conversation then don't read this thread. I think it is really as simple as that.

4. Greenhornet

Greenhornet Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I second Rasha's post. I think the thread is most interesting to those who have heard of Zendik but know little about it. If you don't like the thread - don't read it!

If you're are reading it for the first time, I'd scroll back a bunch of pages and read the posts by Red Lentil, Spanky, goddless commie, and FTNW, (among others) as they offer some real detailed, personal accounts. I'd also look at the Zendik responses by Revel & Siah to gain a little insight into the Zendik frame of mind.

Happy reading!

5. Red Lentil

Red Lentil Member

6. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

I am not so sure it has been helpful. There really has not been much debate about zendik philosophy. I mean I think the was something like 3 pages in this thread criticizing the zendiks for shopping at wal-mart. Now I don’t know if they do or not but in the greater picture this is hardly proof that zendik is bad. I personally don’t shop at walmart but, I have the luxury of that option. They have to feed, cloth, house and provide supplies for how many people. I just have to care for my self so, I have the choice. Would you prefer that they let people starve?

Yes do that but, don’t stop there. Dig deeper. Perhaps contact ZF yourself and see what they have to say. Also, keep in mind that those posts are authored by only 4 people of hundreds that have gone to ZF. It seems they have been around for a very long time so some people must get something out of it.

7. Greenhornet

Dalmar: we're just going around in circles here. It's clear that you don't see Zendik or Wal Mart the same way as I. Maybe you're open minded or nieve or maybe just stubborn, I don't know.

I will say that even for Zendik there's an alternative to either going to Wal Mart or starving, and here's a hint: produce more of your own goods!

I agree that anyone who is thinking about going to Zendik should investigate beyond this thread, but I will say that if I'd seen this thread before I gave Zendik a try I probably wouldn't have gone. More information & ideas about Zendik can be found at the postzendik.com forum, but unfortunately there's very little other information on Zendik out there except for their official website.

8. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

No I agree with you about wal-mart as I said I do not shop there. I just think that pointing to the fact that the zendiks may have shopped there at one time as proof that they are committing some great sin against humanity is less than persuasive. I was just pointing to this one issue as to how this thread has degraded into zendik bashing rather then having a substantive debate about their philosophy. Another example is the fact that they sold their land to the highest bidder. First, do you even know that to be true? Second, should they have sold it to the lowest bidder? This is another example of people just harping on the zendiks.

That is another one of those things that is easier said than done. It would be great if we could all live off our land. In the hole wal-mart debate noone mentioned what the circumstances at zendik farm were at that time. Just that they were shopping at wal mart. Right off the top of my head I can think of many reasons why the zendiks may have been unable produce enough of their own goods to feed everyone at that time. Perhaps their goal is to be totally self sustaining but, they have moved several times looking for their ideal spot. Things can’t happen overnight. Even if they never stop shopping at wal mart so what. I know my refusal to shop there does nothing to hurt walmart in any way.

Another meaningless attack was that they found and used an environmentally safe insulation and promoted that product, again these people were attacked! Why? If it is safe for people and the environment what is the problem?

Anyway, I do not want to demean your beliefs or feelings about your experience. I just hope that you acknowledge that it is time to let go of all the negativity and move on. Perhaps the zendiks will never do things the way you would like them to. You know what? That is ok. Create your own way and go with that. Perhaps one day you will channel all that energy and start your own community that will follow your own ideals. I just worry for you. Holding on to all that hate is so unhealthy, just let it go. Your path will open up for you but, you have to let go or else you will be stuck in this mud of negativity.

I truly hope the best for you.

9. Greenhornet

Dalamar: Again you write with that patronizing tone. You assume because I criticize something that I hate it. I don't hate Zendik and am not, as you seem to imply, on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

I will say this: I think if you had a better understanding of the Zendik philosophy that Zendik is supposedly living by, you'd better understand why someone might criticize Zendik for selling pristine land to developers for profit and supporting places like Wal Mart. These types of activities are the dead opposite of what Wulf Zendik's vision for a new society was.

But that aside, we're just critiquing Zendik not burning effigies of Arol, so there's no need for you to worry!

10. rasha

rasha Member

Why dont you there and find out what is going on Dalamar, instead of insulting people who actually did live there. I think it is funny that you chose to be negative towards people for being negative when if you really are tired of this conversation then why do you keep opening this thread and posting about how we should all move on? If you had gone to postzendik.com you might realize that we do not hate Zendik. Many of us that have been posting there were at the farm for years. You however only have what is written here and on the Zendik site as a source of information.

11. godlesscommie

godlesscommie Member

The Wal-Mart discussion had a context, let’s remember (if we’re not sick of discussing this). The point was not that the Zendiks are evil simply because they shop at Wal-Mart, but rather, that it’s a minor symptom (and one of many such symptoms) of a seriously shitty attitude that the Zendiks tend to have toward the world outside of their property (i.e., an attitude of complete indifference)...which is particularly hard to take when you consider how they market themselves as idealist political activists, or even “revolutionaries,” who have a master plan for saving the world. The Wal-Mart example has to do with the Zendiks’ cynicism (simply not giving a shit about the real world) and the Zendiks’ arrogance (claiming that they have all the answers, when, at the end of the day, the college kid who recycles and attends the occasional anti-sweatshop rally is doing as much to save the world as these bold revolutionaries...).

As far as the negativity goes, well, one can have a reasoned negative opinion about something without necessarily harboring some sort of hatred or lust for vengeance against that something...I can’t stand Brittney Spears, for example, but that doesn’t mean I wish her any harm, or think of her as my enemy, or preoccupy myself with how much I hate her. Of course, relationships with real people aren’t as simple as this, and it’s quite possible to walk away from Zendik Farm feeling totally fucked up by the experience...but that’s not me, as I’ve said in a number of my posts. I agree that it’s a major waste of time and energy to nurse hatred against one’s “enemies,” but I don’t consider the Zendiks my enemies, even though 95% of what I’ve said about them here has been “negative.”

p.s.
    I like the Zendiks a lot more than Brittney Spears...

12. Greenhornet

I certainly like the Zendiks much more than G.W. Bush and Donald Rumsfeld!

Believe me, if you're into hate there are plenty of people more worthy of being hated than the Zendiks, but hate just eats you up inside. I think a lot of people think that you have to be slap happy positive all of the time and if you're not then you're hateful. Our society seems to be loosing the ability to fairly judge and honestly see things realistically.

The right is too aggressive and the left has gone soft!

13. frog

frog Member

14. frog

frog Member

15. osuMatt

osuMatt Member

deleted.

16. osuMatt

osuMatt Member

deleted.

17. rasha

rasha Member

osuMatt I am sorry, but you have little to no idea about what is really going on there. I suggest you find some other place to direct your anger about whatever it is you are pissed off about. The Zendiks are not doing anything illegal, at all, whatsoever. I do not even understad where all this hostility towards a group of people you do not even know, and prob never heard of before you found this post. I am sure most of the people here would agree that Zendik has some problems but I will say it again... if you have not been there and seen with your own eyes what is going on then please do not act like you understand. I have plenty to complain about with regards to Zendik Farm, but what I can not stand is people who decide to direct thier anger at a group of people who they do not even know. Grow up.

18. osuMatt

osuMatt Member

deleted.

19. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

amish children even get there??? whats it called??

well N~EWay,, that thing where there encouraged to go an sow there wild oats,, go be crack whores an junkies an shit....;)

yeah them amish educate there kids well.....

20. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

osuMatt

All I can tell you is that when you get rasha defending the zendiks, you know you crossed the line. I honestly don’t think you should be throwing around such serious accusations like that with out any proof. If you want to debate their philosophy that is ok but, to just make these wild accusations serves no purpose. To be honest I do not think you care one bit about anyone at zendik farm you just want to vent on someone and the zendiks are an easy scapegoat for your misplaced anger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.