Zendik

Discussion in 'Communal Living' started by FREE, May 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pragmatic idealist

pragmatic idealist Member

I would say that yes all that is true. I don't think it is being run just to support Arol and Fawn (her daughter) but all of those people who are in Arol's circle. It wasn't too long after Wulf died that she started getting rid of the people who had been there a long time that didn't agree with how things were going. I know that many people who where there for like 15 years were just kicked out with nothing to show for it because of her and others in her group. You are right that the new people do most of the work and those who are a part of Arols inner circle are given time to do art or whatever. It is sad. I just keep thinking about the literally hundreds of people maybe even thousands who went there looking for a new life and were kicked out because they didn't fit in with Arol's vision of what the community should be. Worst of all, the people who are there do not even think of questioning what she says or they might be the next to go. Think about what a powerful force a thousand people could be. For a community that says they are developing a new way for all people to live they sure don't seem to have a system that most people can live in. Any way...

2. thespeez

thespeez Member

I understand one of the restrictions on their residents is not being allowed to have/bring your car with you.

3. FTNW

FTNW Member

Bugsy. He was there for over 20 years now he's gone.
    Aera. Was there for 20 + years now she's gone.
    Kord. Was there for over 12 years now he could be dead, he joined the army.
    The culture at Zendik Farm is supposed to be truth but in reality it's all a lie. Just like Prag said, it's sad, it broke my heart and I'm still fucked up over it and it's been 6-7 years.
    Bottom line, my advice is don't go. If you do and then leave they will give you nothing just a ride the the nearest highway.

4. Micro

Micro Member

What was Wulf like? I use to always watch their show on cable TV when they lived in Texas and enjoyed listening to him on the rare occasions he was on. Arol, who I saw the most of, just kinda rubbed me the wrong way. Don't know what it was, but I never visited the farm because I didn't think me and her would jive.

5. FTNW

FTNW Member

Wulf was a good old man, happy and full of life.
    I'll refrain from commenting on Arol.

6. LaughinWillow

LaughinWillow Member

Had a friend who went to Zendik - sounded basically like the stuff people have already written... Arol runs everything, silences all dissent, makes sure her precious daughter has whatever she wants while the "worker bees" slave away. Also, apparently they even have really fucked up ways of enforcing "body image" - one male visitor was ridiculed and berated for daring to take off his shirt while he was working - not because wearing shirts is mandatory - but because the Zendik hierarchy didn't find his body fat acceptable. I've also read on another board that they ridicule people who are in monogamous relationships and harass them to have sex with other members in order to "show them" how wrong monogamy is.

Finally, I met some of these people in DC a couple years ago - some of the nastiest, most self-obsessed, arrogant ASSHOLES I've ever met. I was all excited to meet them, because I had interest in Zendik for a long time, and all but one of them just kept shooting me dirty looks and being all uppity - for nothing. Nasty nasty nasty. After that - and then hearing all this crap about them - I wouldn't set foot at that place. They talk a good talk - but it sounds like a third world dictatorship to me. No thanks.

7. xscoutx

xscoutx Member

i used to live in asheville and i've heard some bad stuff about zendik. i don't know, though, since i've never been.......

8. FTNW

FTNW Member

Looks like they are recruiting for people now. Funny how such a great place can be in need of people so bad kind of tells you how they treat people. Another thing you may notice is the lack of a disucssion forum which at one time they did have but many people that were their showed up and spoke the truth so they shut it down.
    I remember a big part of their philosphy was "Truth" one of their sayings was "a lie cannot be sustained"... Time tells all but who's "Truth" is being told? Who is the ultimate holder of "Truth"? Well, at the farm it's Arol and Arol alone.
    As Prag said:
    Zendik Farm could be a thriving city of progressive change but they shun any thoughts or talents that are not inline with what Arol thinks the truth is and this is not a good idea. Everyone has a piece of truth in them and to think one is not valid or that they "Don't get it" is just causing their movement to go down.

9. Malleus

Malleus Member

I hadn't heard anything bad about 'em until I found this site last night. However, after reading this site, I did a little more digging and found an article that didn't cast them in the best light either. Still, that majority of what I've seen portrays the Zendiks very well.

It's said that there are, roughly, 50 members who live at the farm (which apparently is moving this month), but there are not 50 photographs of members on the site. Are most of the 50 transitory in nature?

10. Jennyjenkins

Jennyjenkins Member

Oy....well known to the deadhead world as the double decker bus people. They go to shows in this big red double decker bus. I read a column about em a few years ago about a girl who was in the commune, she wrote a lengthy story about her life with them and none of it was good. She basically escaped in some form or manner and her life and mind haven't been right since. I can't find the story on the net anymore...like i said, it was a few years back.

Luckily i learned about em before Bonnaroo a few years back when i was totally tripped out of my freakin skull looking for a friend or at least rockmed to help me with my "brownacid" inflamed mind at the time when i was sittin next to a tree because i couldn't function....really...couldn't walk or nothin and this nice guy comes up tome and asks me if i wanna read his pamphlet.

Are you kiddin me??? Is what i wanted to tell him...instead, with my mind and body feeling way too altered to concentrate on saying anything harsh i said "I've heard of you people..." ...he obviously knew what i meant and walked away. The going conspiracy is they try to go out and find really fucked up individuals(like myself at the time being)...a "lost sailor", if you will, take them back to the bus and with your mind wide the fuck open brainwash you with some weird idiotic shit. I've always stayed clear of that bus.

And yes, of course they're nice. You can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar.

Here's a story about one person's visit

http://http://www.geocities.com/theangryearth/collective.html

11. Malleus

Malleus Member

The link doesn't appear to work.

12. darkstar8413

darkstar8413 Member

haha.....i definetly feel you. If you find that garden let me know

13. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

You'll be the first to know! :D

14. Midget

Midget Senior Member

Yeah, from what I've read here...and I checked out there website...I'm kinda freaked out by Zendik.

15. HappyHaHaGirl

Once, I half-jokingly asked one of their street teamers if they were a cult, and he told me some story about hypnotizing people and eating their hearts, and then laughed... it was weird. I knew he was kidding, but he totally lost me with that. :mad: Better safe than sorry... :)

16. darkstar8413

darkstar8413 Member

up until a few days ago, i was really deeply considering Zendik but I think I just might not go to that end of things any time soon. I guess I need to just buy my own plot of land and allow only chill, gentle, loving souls to join me. I better break out the old terrapin bank. let's see....11 dollars and counting .....

[​IMG]

17. Cosmic Butterfly

Cosmic Butterfly Member

I have been browsing the website, and I have been getting a very "off" feeling....Feels like something is wrong, or just not pure. Cant describe it the real feeling...

18. HappyHaHaGirl

I totally know what you mean.... I felt that way, too, I just couldn't quite put my finger on what it was. :eek:

19. RevoMystic

RevoMystic Member

That shows you guys are highly intuitive...

always go with your gut as much as you possibly can.

I wrote a couple emails to Zendik, and their public relations person, Kaila, responded to me with insults, calling me names, and saying I probably wouldn't be "good enough" to join their little institution "anyway".

I wish I kept the emails till posting em on here, but out of disgust I quickly deleted them.

I woulnd't recommend somebody to Zendik even as a last resort...not until they change, or Arol (God-forbid) dies.

20. Midget

Midget Senior Member

So people actually come and talk to you, and try to recruit you to come to Zendik? I read that on the website--and I wasn't too sure what to think about that...as for the "off" feeling--I got that, too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.