Zen Master Gasan's critical evaluation of Christ's teachings and person...

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by Ajay0, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

Gasan was a Japanese Zen master who made a critical examination and evaluation of Christ from the biblical teachings read to him by a university student ...

峨山韶碩 Gasan Jōseki (1275-1366)

From this, we can see that from the Zen Buddhist perspective, the teachings of Christ hold water and are valid, and this can also be counted as proof that an enlightened master named Jesus Christ had existed, and need not necessarily be a literary fiction as recounted or asserted by some.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
  2. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

Ramana Maharshi had also commented on the Biblical teaching , "Be still and know that I am God" and considered it as a valid teaching.

Be Still

3. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

What's to criticize... ? :smile:

To be honest, I have a hard time with this one.

For me, it's difficult to take seriously teachings that aim to dismantle that which is infallible in the minds of most Americans; not that America is the center of Christianity. There are obviously Christians in places throughout the world.

So the question becomes is Zen at odds with Christianity? I know nothing of Zen; don't know even the most basic things. As a religion though, I find Christianity stalwart. A true cornerstone of society/morality.

Ajay0 likes this.
  4. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

5. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

I am kind to the idea that Jesus travelled and received some education in India . There are those
    mystery years twixt his ages of 12 and 33 . Often the definition of a prophet is one who has travelled
    and brought home a new view . The home village may have itself sent this child forth spiritually , with
    hope . Trouble is that on returning home the prophet can be rejected . Some college-educated young
    people may have experienced this condition of life . They try to come home .

ZenKarma likes this.
  6. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Not really. The teachings may be valid, that doesn't mean we know who originated or copied the teachings.

7. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Will Jesus exist again ?
    If Jesus is peace .