Yours truly...

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Piaf, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Frieden

Frieden Senior Member

Do you know what type of law you would be concentrating on? And congrats!

2. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

I don't know about compliments, but the line for creeperville was past at "welcome to hipforums!"

3. newbie-one

congrats on getting into law school.

law school and medical school take a lot of effort

It's worth spending the time and energy to find out which path is best for you. Some folks put the blinders on when they go to grad school and end up with degrees that they never use.

4. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Well medical school made me pretty miserable lol.
    I still have like ten days or so to think about it.

5. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Congrats, either field should be fine, lots of demand in both areas I would think.

6. AquaLight

AquaLight Senior Member

Wow..well I'd say follow them, you only live once. I am also changing my career path soon..
    But if you were miserable in med school, I am not sure if law school is any less miserable but could be even worse...not that I know anyway.

7. newbie-one

I don't know if med school is any different where you are, but here they try to make it hell as a kind of weeding-out process.

Once you get the degree though, I think people are usually happier working in medicine than in law.

8. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

Congrats to you. :)

I am sure you will choose what is best for you. Continued success no matter what you chose to do. :)

9. deviate

deviate Senior Member

Practicing law is extremely stressful and tedious, mind wrenching work.

It can be very invigorating and exciting at the same time. And financially rewarding.

But there are serious downsides. A large number of lawyers abuse alcohol and drugs, have disaffected social lives, etc. It's pretty taxing on the personal life. If you are cool with your career being the absolute primary aspect in your life, way more than most other careers.. you will love it and feel alive. Otherwise you might practice for a year or two and say ok fuck this.

I also have a good friend who just lost her license because of someone with a personal vendetta. I personally steered away from law because I didn't want clients and/or regulatory bodies (bar associations) to have direct control over my life and future.

Not to be negative here, just keeping it real.

Also, a law degree can be used for a lot of other things. Teaching, consulting, etc. So in other words an education is never a bad thing.

10. IamnotaMan

IamnotaMan I am Thor. On sabba-tickle. Still available via us

I went to law school. Got my degree, worked in law firms and barristers chambers, but went into business. A fair number of my best friends are lawyers so its interesting to see their lives develop.

11. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

Piaf, how will you pay to do a whole other degree? I don't know what the system is where you live, but tertiary education is reeeeealy expensive here. I want to go back, too. But am not sure if I can afford it right now.

12. themnax

themnax Senior Member

if it weren't for politicians, the wold wouldn't need lawyers.

13. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

One degree is free here, and you have to pay for the second one. But it isn't that much.

14. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

How are you chaning your career path?

I know it's not easy and great, my father went to law school (although later never worked in that field), my cousins are lawyers, and so is my brother in law. A lot of my friends are in law school as well, so I kind of know what to expect.

15. AquaLight

AquaLight Senior Member

I wonder how the law works in Croatia, do you get to sue people right and left like in the US? :)
    I am trying to get out of the purchasing and import/export management thing, so next year I will hopefully move to the UK to study investment banking..I've always had a thing for capital markets (Rat, yes I want to join the illuminati on wall st. :D)

16. IamnotaMan

A bit like me really. Went from merchant trade/import-export to financial markets. Oh and started off with law school...

17. AquaLight

AquaLight Senior Member

So hows it working for ya ?

18. IamnotaMan

Well the early days were quite tough. I was my own boss. Then I joined a group and bigger network, and it got easier. Import export attracts organised crime and idiots, as you may have found. The fin. markets are fascinating, if demanding. Overall, I'm happy with it. Altho I do want spend time developing a creative career parallel to it.

19. AquaLight

AquaLight Senior Member

It does attract such people, and you become the same if you hang around long enough...
    What kind of market are you in? I am obviously trying to take the bank route, but ultimately as boring as it might sound, I'd like to work in an investment fund analyzing companies for future investments.

20. calgirl

calgirl Senior Member

its a great accomplishment. In my case, the degree was step #1 in a long road of unanticipated twists and turns that turned out to benefit me. So you might pursue it....and let it take a life of its own. Congrats.