Your thoughts on Abortion...

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by UFEZG, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Kharakov

Kharakov ShadowSpawn

God causes you to publically sin so someone (such as I) can expose it to you, and show you that it is wrong.
    No, it was God acting through him.
    I didn't come up with it, God did.
    You won't "steal" it unless God causes you to. Do you feel like God is going to use you to "steal" a TV? God probably won't do it unless you are comfortable with the idea of God using you in that manner, and God won't make you feel comfortable about using you in that manner unless God intends to use you in that manner. Simple. Have faith.

2. Kharakov

Kharakov ShadowSpawn

God made this will. Do you think that it acts in any way that God does not intend?
    God will not let you experience the perfect life if you believe it is of your own "free" will and choice that you achieved it. Until you know that you have no choice, God will not grant you perfection, which is a gift you are given, not a choice that you can make (you won't even know that perfection is God until God gives perfection to you).
    Men and women freely do God's will whether or not they love God. Eventually they will know that what they did was caused by God and they will have true love for their creator, but until they know their actions are caused by God, they do not truly know what it means to have a Creator.
    Ohh yeah. God is so bad to be touched by. :rolleyes: God does like to scare you though... boo!
    Duhh... You really don't get it, do you?

3. JesusDiedForU

JesusDiedForU Banned

God isn't the author of evil, Karakov.

4. Kharakov

Kharakov ShadowSpawn

Although God creating evil had nothing to do with my post, I must point out that you are wrong:
    Exodus 32:14
    "And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people."
    Isaiah 45:7
    "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things."

The point of my post was not that God is the author of evil, but that God has a deeper understanding (than you or I) and knows when it is time for a person to die (whether it is before birth or after).

5. campbell34

campbell34 Banned

The evil that God would of done to His people was not evil in the same sense as evil that human kind would do. That should be obvious.

6. Kharakov

Kharakov ShadowSpawn

No, God means that God's actions are interpreted as Evil by humans because of their lack of understanding. God causes everything that happens to us, some things we consider "evil" some we consider "good". Apparently God considers everything that happens to be Good (in our best interests), even when we think something is wrong (evil).

7. ThePsilocybeVibe

ThePsilocybeVibe Member

I think the debate over abortion can never be "solved"....ever....It's not in the human race's ability to agree on something on this subject. I myself see big truckloads of bullshit coming from both sides of the political border on this issue. Throw religion into the mix and *boom* Not a pretty picture when it all hits the fan...Agendas agendas....That being said, here are my BELIEFS... The fetus, alive? Yes, absolutely. Ability to think/feel? In a way, possibly. Is it wrong to kill something alive with the ability to think and feel (Im referring to humans...the issue of thinking/feeling animals is another complicated issue)? Yes i believe its wrong to kill it...Now, is it a woman's "right" to decide that living breathing baby's fate? No...Is it her right to make decisions about her own body? Absolutely...So there can be no winner there...SOMEONE's gonna be wrong. Now who is labeled the wrongdoer is based totally on people's reliegious (term used lightly) beliefs...And we all know how THAT issue is....We cant decide that either. So i just state facts. Its wrong to kill each other. Its wrong to deny women rights to THEIR OWN BODIES. But the fetus is a separate entity. So i believe its not her choice in that respect. Yep...

Oh and one thing...I'm sick of the phrase "Women's Right To Choose" or "Pro-Choice"....I mean, what, in essence, is this "CHOICE" they're speaking of? It's the decision whether or not to kill the fetus...Which is not their own body or life...It's someone else's...That's the major beef i have with that side of the fence...Other than that, I dont know enough and i doubt I or anyone else will EVER know enough to truly be in the right.

8. POPthree13

POPthree13 Member

I am not sure if you can classify the fetus as a separate entity in all cases. Before the fetus attaches to the uterine wall it is no more viable than sperm or egg cells. Taken out of a womans body it would dry up and die in seconds. Can this be considered a 'separate' entity if it can not exist as an individual?

Even after it attaches to the uterus it is still unviable for at least 22 weeks. Without the mother as host this bundle of cells has no more chance of becoming a human than a brick. This issue of viability has become the foundation for US law and law around the world. No country or population ascribes adult human rights to an unviable embryo. I tend to side with that perspective.

As far as choice goes there will always be one. Should this choice be made by the mother - who's body is required to provide oxygen, nutrition, warmth, water and wast disposal - or should this choice be made by a bunch of armchair philosophers and politicians? That is the real question in my opinion.

Many support the death penalty and oppose abortion.
    Many support the war and oppose condoms.
    Many support the oppresion and slaughter of countless viable, feeling organisms while they proudly display their pro-life badges of honor.

A pro-life agenda should at least consider the best interests of those alive first...

9. ThePsilocybeVibe

ThePsilocybeVibe Member

I dont know which side of the fence id jump onto in this issue...I agree with POP...Cant really call something "alive" if it's not...well...viable on it's own...But then again, a newborn cant survive on it's own either...I dont know enough to draw the line between human and a random collection of cells...Im not "pro-life" or "pro-ch....oh god i cant even say it" but hopefully someday ill know enough to make the right decision for myself...As for right now, ill continue to wear condoms while eating former living viable organisms that make great standing rib roasts and with food in my mouth rooting for the war to end...Im just as confused as most of us :)

10. Emanresu

Emanresu Member

Hey I'm writing a paper about the morality of abortion for my medical ethics class, and I was wondering what you all think about this argument: Even if you grant that a fetus has a right to life, it does not follow that a fetus has the right to use the mother's body. So if you can remove the fetus without destroying it in the act of removal then this action is morally permissible.
    So the idea is that if a fetus does indeed have a right to life, then it is not permissible to kill and remove it, but if you remove it alive and let it die then this is permissible.
    At first I didn't really buy it but it kind of makes sense. Imagine that someone has a certain disease which requires her to be connected to another person so that the she may use the healthy person's liver to filter her blood. Now Imagine that for some reason she finds out that you are the only person who she can be connected to, so she knocks you out, and while you are unconscious she connects herself to you. When you wake up she apologizes and tells you that if you disconnect her she will die, and that she will need to be connected to you for nine months. Now in this case it probably isn't permissible to shoot her in the head, but it seems reasonable to say that it is permissible to disconnect her and let her die, she has a right to life, but not a right to use your body. This seems to be analogous at least to a case of pregnancy resulting from rape.
    So what do you people think?

11. Skerb

Skerb Member

it's wrong. no matter what your guidance counselor who got you pregnant says. look at the pictures of second trimester fetuses look like. obviously with advancements viability for fetuses will eventually be in the first trimester, so will that 'magically' make it wroung? nope, already is.

12. Maryslittlebrat

Maryslittlebrat Member

It depends on what you mean by the whole debate or where it's taken
    My wife and I are pro life in that we wouldn't do it but we sure as hell are not going to tell women what they can do with there bodies or vote any such way.
    It's absurd, it's control is what it is and based on that kind of logic I might as well tell women they have to use their bodies to sleep with me
    wait a minute, that ones not bad lol
    peace
    God bless

13. feralfey

feralfey Member

Many of you are quoting the Bible. Regardless of when it says that life begins, it also tells us repeatedly not to judge. Thus the only things we should have an opinion on are ourselves and our personal experiences. From my experience, I can testify that not being judgemental can be a difficult command to follow. In particular when it is paired with other commands from the Bible which tell us to to tell the world about Christ and that say to not sin. However, Christ forgives. He also knows our hearts, and has everthing planned for us. He knows what will happen before anything happens, and He knows why. As mere mortals, how can we claim to know all or even part of what God alone knows?

14. stonedmonkiwana

stonedmonkiwana K9 Handler

I believe in the right for a woman to choose.

15. myself

myself just me

Abortion is a choice. There are various circumstances which may require one (unwanted child, possibly sick child...). Rather than have an unwanted or sick child, better not have it at all.

16. Trix_Bunny

Trix_Bunny Member

Very topical topic over here at the minute (Ireland), abortion is illegal here, but still anyone who wants an abortion has one, they just take a 30 minute flight to England and have it done there. For the people that say abortion wrong regardless of the circumstances, theres an interesting case over here at the minute. There is a 17 year old pregnant girl who is under state care, her unborn child has a rare condition meaning that there is absalutely no possiblity of it living more than 2 or 3 days outside of the womb, it will also be in excruciating pain from the time its born and for it's very short life and suffering from deformaties. The HSE (the state organisation which the mothers under the care of) has applied to the police to prohibit her from travelling abroad for an abortion because as I said it's illegal here and there is no risk to the mothers life itself (the only instance in which the HSE will actively allow a child in its care to travel abroad for an abortion). The girl is fighting the decision in court this week on the simple grounds that she has commited no crime and cannot be prevented from travelling to England.

Link to news report on case http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0503/abortion.html?rss

17. Trix_Bunny

Trix_Bunny Member

Incase anyone is interested the courts granted the girl permision to travel for the abortion yesterday.

18. yyyesiam2

yyyesiam2 Senior Member

the only two types of killing that i see are: kill to survive, and kill for some other reason. this would be killing for comfort and convenience. if i accidentally had a child, it would be difficult-possibly depressing at this point in my life. however, if i killed that child, there would be no good reason for it. a single cell carries life. that isn't even something worth disputing.

19. WWKCD729

WWKCD729 Member

IMO!!!!!!i think you have to be put into the situation in order to make such a judgement...now, i used to bitch at my girlfriend becasue i was pro-life, and she was pro-choice, but the we got put in such a situation where the condom broke, and her period was right around the corner..UH OH!!!...so we were tripping pretty bad, so for the next 3 days we were going to those planned parenthood clinics to get that one day after pill, everywhere we went, they didnt have them, and then we had to drive like 2 hours out of our way to get one..so she got the pill, and a few days later, she was sick and what not...but..thank god..she didnt get pregnant off of it, the people at the clinic said it was good that we came in when we did, or else our options were abortion or i would be a dad at 19...but..after having thoughts running through our heads about well if she is pregnant, get the abortion or no? so as of now...i changed my perspective...i think it is a VERY LAST RESORT!! to get one, but for my case, i fucked up, so if she did become pregnant, i would have raised the kid, bottom line, but i think if you get raped or some shit..then it should be ok, because why would you raise a kid who makes you remind you of that night and the pain you went through and shit..

20. FreakerSoup

FreakerSoup Stranger

Did you know you can grow any plant on a petri dish just from a holepuch of one leaf? Multiple plants, in fact. Does this mean that a single piece of a leaf is worth the same or deserves the same status as an 80 foot tree?

What happens when we can do this with humans?