Your problems mean nothing...

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Pressed_Rat, Dec 29, 2004.

1. NaykidApe

NaykidApe Bomb the Ban

Little sister of mine died not too long ago. She'd been through some insanely rough shit for someone so young and I never heard her complain once.

People wonder why I don't seem sad when I talk about her. Shit I could never think about her without smiling.

2. crystalstarr

crystalstarr Word

does anyone know where i can donate cloths and food too? my kids and i have lots of cloths to giveaway so i'd like to donate to the tusami victims...redcross??

3. BlackGuardXIII

BlackGuardXIII fera festiva

She sounds like a real angel, and I was once told that when someone so beautiful passes away, it is because God just could not bear to spend one more moment without them.

Bless you for sharing that with us, it means a lot to me.

4. Butterflygal

Butterflygal Member

http://www.redcross.org/donate/donate.html

5. NaykidApe

NaykidApe Bomb the Ban

Thanx BlackGuard. The way I look at it is she's graduated and the rest of us are still stuck in this big pre-school until we grow up and learn to play well with others.

6. lynsey

lynsey Banned

while I'll agree that sometimes we let trivial problems take over and become a focal point it is wrong for one to judge the severity of another's problems or to tell them how they should be feeling. Everyone has had bad shit happen in their life, it's important not to let it take over but it's all important to deal with it and not push it aside just because someone else is percieved as worse off.

7. BlackGuardXIII

Sounds right to me. I haven't learned enough yet.
    It explains why I am still kicking after 40 years, in total defiance of all other reasonable explanation.

I am still trying to learn to play well with others, and am getting better at it all the time.

8. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I think some of you misunderstood what I am saying. Notice I said that people get down from time to time. Everyone does, including me. This is perfectly normal human behavior.

I am not trying to devalue other people's problems, either.

My point is, next time you are feeling down over your own life, take a minute or two to also think about the people who are much worse off than you are, or will ever be. It's about thinking beyond the perimeter of your own sometimes miserable existence. That is all.

9. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

i applaud you pressed for this post...i agree with you a hundred percent...we all need to look at ourselves and see how we can cause less suffering to the world not sit in whatever suffering we feel we have...

10. BlackGuardXIII

that is a great suggestion, thank you for it.

11. lynsey

lynsey Banned

I witness things everyday that make me greatful and am shown for hours a day how lucky I am, I don't need media coverage of disasters to make me thankful. I feel empathy in my heart for those who have lost their family but that empahty doesn't stem from lowering the importance of anything else in my life whether it is one close at home who has a problem or my own issues.

12. Pressed_Rat

You are incredibly dense. Probably more so than anybody here.

13. lynsey

lynsey Banned

I don't think much of you either. I've always found you a bit pompous, with not much to back it up.

14. whispers

whispers sweet and sour

• More than one billion people will go to bed hungry tonight.
    • The world’s farmers grow enough food to provide at least 4.3 pounds of food per day for every person. This is more than enough food for everyone on the planet.
    • Worldwide, there are 2750 calories available for each person. The Food and Agriculture Organization has set the minimum daily requirement at 2350.
    • The wealthiest 20 percent of the world’s population consumes 86 percent of the world’s goods and services. The poorest 20 percent consumes one percent of the goods and services.
    • More than 50 countries fail to produce the minimum caloric requirement for their citizens. Most of these countries are in sub-Saharan Africa.
    • About 31,000 (some say 24,000) people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. This is down from 35,000 ten years ago, and 41,000 twenty years ago. Three-fourths of the deaths are children under the age of five.
    • Today 10 percent of children in developing countries die before the age of five. This is down from 28 percent fifty years ago.
    • About 30,500 children die each day from preventable diseases such as diarrhea, acute respiratory infections, or malaria. Half of these deaths are associated with malnutrition.
    • 32 percent of the people in the developing world live on below $1 dollar a day.
    • Seven out of 10 of the world’s hungry people are women and girls.
    • Educated girls usually grow up to have smaller families and healthier pregnancies. A ten-percent increase in enrollment in girls’ primary schools can be expected to decrease infant mortality by 4.1 percent.
    • Famine and wars cause 10 percent of hunger deaths. The majority of hunger deaths are caused by chronic malnutrition, which is caused by extreme poverty.
    • Besides death, chronic malnutrition also causes impaired vision, listlessness, stunted growth, and greatly increased susceptibility to disease. Severely malnourished people are unable to function at even a basic level.
    • It is estimated that some 800 million people in the world suffer from hunger and malnutrition, about 8 million actually die from it each year.
    • Almost 200 million children below the age of five suffer from malnutrition.
    • 2.6 billion people lack access to basic sanitation.
    • 880 million people lack access to adequate health services.

15. Pressed_Rat

Good, then the feelings are mutual.

16. Pressed_Rat

RE: Whispers

Either you didn't fully read what I wrote, or perhaps you can't read.

I was not referring soley to the tragedy abroad. I am talking about ALL suffering, including what is included in your list.

17. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

well you two are helping to cause that much less suffering in the world, lol
    ;)

18. dhs

dhs Senior Member

I'm going to have to agree with lynsey here. It was indeed a devastating tragedy and I cannot bare to imagine how I would feel had this happened to me. But that doesn't mean ones own problems should be cast aside as frivilous.

I think comparing the fortunes of different people is a position of judgement that no person has the right to make.

19. lynsey

lynsey Banned

hmmm you seem like a peaceful kinda guy there. You call someone a name because they didn't meet the exact specifications of your question? Your questionis pretty one dimentional and if other people want to take it upon themselves to critically think and add their own opinion who the hell are you to tell them they can't?

20. Pressed_Rat

Wow, some of you must have the attention span of a fly. It's like I am talking to a fucking brick wall. Anyhow.... carry on. :)