Your Own Style As You Might Say

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Peace, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Peace

Peace In complete harmony.

I know many people all over the world believe in a relgion. Whether it be buddhism, christianity, or what not.

But wouldn't it be fair to say that one should not throw themself under a religion. You shouldn't immediatly become a Jew or a Buddhist. Here's the point that I'm trying to get at. Religions are found. They (almost) all teach the same thing, happiness and love, but they have different approaches of achieving it.

If you're looking at other religions you should read books or talk to people of that faith to get a grasp of the religion. I made the mistake of not doing this. I was previously christian, even though I did not believe in God. My parents kind of forced the religion onto me. I was suppose to follow God's word when I didn't "follow" or believe in God himself.

I looked at other religions and found buddhism. Now I did read a book explaining some main views of buddhism, but I read the book. I didn't quite learn it all. I didn't actually sit down and think about everything that they said.

So I considered myself buddhist and I started practicing daily meditation. Here's the thing. Some of the views in the buddhism religion didn't match mine.

I figured out that I can have "religious" views and not be part of a religion. I have taken views and values from multiple religions to make what I think of as my own miniture religion.

Here's what I'm trying to get at. If you're looking at other religions, make sure you fully understand that relgion (or at least their views) so that your life will much happier.

Have a wonderful day :).
    Peace

2. osiris

osiris Senior Member

The only religion worth living under is life itself. All others are but a societal snare, a binding of the individual to the will of the group, when it is so important that the entire global community be comprised of individuals with individual wills. Strife is inevitable, as ignorance must cancel itself by this evolutionary process. But some of us have already transcended that, and some of us, having done so choose to engage in it for the sake of speeding the evolution of others. If you can see a conflict between one point of view and another you can be assured that if they clash enough the conflicting elements will be annihilated and what remains will be the essence of both. And yet, what if the remnants be naught at all? Then there be perfection, from whence all possibility may issue!

What does all of this guttural trash I utter truly mean? I know not. I am but the messenger.

Many Blessings, Much Love, A Healing Vibration

3. Bhaskar

Bhaskar Members

What you say is very true. Intellectual questioning and loigcal reasoning are very very important in the early stages of the spiritual path. But once you find the right master to guide you, you find that the answers keep coming and after a point you lose the need to question, confident that the answers will come. This is fine, because all questions and answers are from the intllectual level and the main theme of all masters and all religions is ot rise beyond even the intellect, to the very source of everything, the conciousness within.

4. empathy

empathy Member

i kind of did things in a similar fashion, peace. my family is not religious, actually my dad is severly aetheist. but i never really understood creator based religions, i mean if god is perfect then why does he need to be worshiped by everyone every seven days? sounds like someone who's very insecure.
    so i just kind of formulated my own views, and just try to live by them. meditate daily, etc., etc.

5. Peace

Peace In complete harmony.

What's with all these old threads being brought back. I more loquacious back then, but I like not being garrulous now.

6. ryupower

ryupower NO capcom included

They're called 'New Agers'.

People who mix their religion together and do stuff like tarot cards....