Your opinion on shinks, please

Discussion in 'Paranoid?' started by bourne1978, Jun 13, 2018.

1. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Oh you know it! :p

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I don't like those types of women.

3. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

No one does. That's why they seem so upset over nothing all the time.

4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yeahhh she just a stuck up mole. :p

5. My issue with the mental health industry is how quickly so many of them assign a category or condition to a patient. Once this assignment has been made, no other condition is usually explored. And like other doctors you can run into one who has a specialty or pet research project. They do their best to make you fit the parameters for this so they can keep padding their research portfolio.

I'm in my 50s now and once again I have to find another GP because mine turned into a tunnel-visioned, hammer wielding researcher. Oh and don't bother telling your doctor that you were ever an addict. Once they hear that, you won't be able to get pain meds for a broken arm. Even if you beat your monkey 20+ years prior.

I do think my carcass will make a great study subject after all the meth I shot into myself in the 80s. But I beat meth, by switching to crack which plagued me until the mid 90s. I finally beat that and haven't been back. But STILL a doctor would red stripe my file in an instant if they knew I did all that shit.

Head shrinkers come in a variety of flavors, most of mine were on the rehab path. Ultimately they became useless to me as I started getting my own shit together. Unfortunately I wasted a whole decade which impacted another. My wife is amazed someone so insane can actually get up and go to work like a real person!

6. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

The are Good, Bad and somewhat disappointing advisors of and for the treatment of Mental Health issues, - whatever title they primarily 'titled' as.
    I think that the employment of different practices have to be used, subject to the needs of the individual and diagnosis of the best option can be key.
    The degrees of mental health issues that there these days of 24/7 work/lifestyle are perhaps there is no cut and dried choice of preference, and multi treatments moreover a better prospect than specifically identified.
    I.M.O.

7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

The thought of talking to a shrink, or a shink for that matter, and spilling all my baggage to a stranger makes me feel icky. I come from a long line of stoic, pull yourself up by the bootstraps and deal with it type of people. So i just cry into my pillow case at night and smile through the pain like a normal person

Said with a wink, before I get a bunch of "here if you need me" responses and one "but have you tried therapy or accupuncture or chinese herbal medicine" response from newbie ;)

8. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Have you looked into cognitive therapy?

I'm here if you...
    Oh stfu McFuddy.

9. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

The phrase Horse Balls and Ketamine is like the 21st century male's version of Hookers and Blow.

Driftrue likes this.
  10. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Just keep me in your thoughts and prayers please

YouFreeMe and McFuddy like this.
  11. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Hookers and blow will always be hookers and blow to me.

12. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

sending positive vibes.

YouFreeMe and Meliai like this.
  13. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

Just go to the confession thread on HF. It's likely just as good as any licensed shrink, and free. ;)

14. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I went to an emotional growth boarding school, and I've been to both a psychiatrist and a psychologist. In my experience, I think you should try and do a little of each. I don't know much about psychotherapists though. Is that Freudian? :)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  15. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I am sure that therapy genuinely helps some people, but it always felt weird to me. Here you are, spilling your guts to this stranger about your (largely) 1st world problems. Meh. And you are essentially paying this person to "care" for approximately 45 minutes.

*this is a bad attitude, I am aware.

Meliai likes this.
  16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Nothing you can can say to someone that you can't say to yourself. I don't get it. Seems weak to me. Then again I'm pretty strong.... and thick.

17. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

You can talk about things that are hard to talk about with friends/family. You can talk about your relationships with your parents, your sexual hang ups, why you hate the world and all kinds of fun stuff. And when that fifty minutes is up you close the door and it all stays in that little room. Admittedly I tried it three times but never lasted more than a few months with each therapist. In the end I just worked out my problems through my own experience. It works for some though.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  18. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

But what is the desire to pay somebody big money just to talk to them?
    Especially marriage counselling, I feel, time better spent, talking to your partner.

But that none of my Kermit the frog business.

19. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

We're not all so well-adjusted as you.

20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

None of my Kermit the frog business homie.