your fucking dog does not want to go on tour..or to the gathering..

Discussion in 'Rainbow Family' started by drumminmama, Jul 10, 2006.

1. poorphucker

poorphucker Member

why not just open a dog food kitchen for the dogs... instead of playing hiholy and deciding who is able to eat at a kitchen at a rainbow gathering?

Somehow.... IMHO... someone should not even run a kitchen if that is the attitude they possess!

What is next?

Charging for meals at your kitchen??

2. papabear

papabear Member

wow if we charge money maybe we can get better food and smaller lines.
    i think we can get sponsers, maybe for a dog kitchen we can get dog food sponsers.
    we could then start saying who can and cant be there. it would be a utopia.

3. nutznfl

nutznfl Member

Im more of a cat person we have TWO cats that go camping with us all the time
    they have never been without us and will never be, so if you just cant stand it i guess theres no need for you to come by our camp!!!...

4. Keanua Otter

Keanua Otter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Namaste everyone. Iv'e been away for several long months working etc etc. But i have returned to hipforums/rainbow family with much love and fond memories of alot of you in Ocala. I never made my report of Ocala 06. I just logged back on to read this important dog issue thread,and due to direct experience, i want to make a comment.

I brought my very awesome 10 year old un-neutered male, Buddha to Ocala and as always, had him leashed 100%. We always have a wonderful time together, gatherings are good for his soul too, being out in the forest, etc. and he has a great following of people who adore him, with his very thoughtful and friendly ways. But, his uber-maleness naturally attracts all the big bad bullies that are running loose constantly on the trails. It made it a freaking ordeal to just walk anywhere, without having to beat back pits and rots with a big stick to break up fights when they came up to Buddha looking to role play dominate games. Buddha is a total ass-kicking fearless fighter, protecting me really, as he should be doing. But he is 10 now and i don't want him to have to go through that. It is absolutely exhausting to have to deal with this all the time at gatherings due to others that will not be responsible to the family. There were many, many brothers and sisters at Ocala that were outraged at the amount of *bad* dogs ruining the peace and freedom of the gathering. And there were pit owners as well that were calling for dogs on the leash. For instance, Pooh Bear and his partner ( a beautiful couple indeed) had a pit that was totally under control and well behaved. They were a great example for everyone. Folks want to enjoy their dogs, like their kids, just having fun. But basically lots of people were really perplexed and upset about this wild dog problem.
    So, on our last day, my brother James and i were at the end of the trail, getting ready to load up our gear. I was standing there talking to some sweet kids, saying goodbye etc, when Buddha and a seriously mean unleashed pit got into it. I got knocked down in the dirt with this psycho pitbull charging Buddha, with me basically in between them, teeth and fur flying everywhere. Buddha did what he had to do. The dogs owner was not what i consider to be a rainbow brother, but a mean looking dude in alot of army gear, big black boots, etc. (someone who tries to look scary) I say he was not seeming like a rainbow brother, not because of his clothes of course, but by his attitude of entitlement to behave anyway he wanted to, regardless of rainbow ethics. i had to set him straight with my own version of fearlessness. He was surprised to say the least. He was so arrogant and agro, trying to further intimidate me when i told him in no uncertain terms to GET HIS DOG ON A LEASH.. After i got up from the ground, i was pretty upset. Who wouldn't be? It's terrifying. Not to mention upset that my dog got attacked at the end of an awesome gathering. He acted like he and his dog were entitled to do anything they wanted, the rest of us be damned. This is not a Rainbow attitude!!! So yeah, i had to repeat this demand several times with much emphasis to get it thru his thick head to get his out of control and dangerous dog on a leash. He finally apologized, but i doubt if he kept his dog under control for anybody else's sake.
    I don't want to have to go thru this kind of routine again, but i love having my dog with me (on a leash) in the forest for all the right reasons. (And there will be many other gatherings for us.) Dogs in general are great fun to have at gatherings, like children, it would be so strange & sterile without them there. Of course, i realize that dogs act like dogs, they like to mix it up, but the idea is a leash with an owner on the other end prevents things from getting out of control. But it seems the worst, predatory dogs are running loose. Our children are also in such danger of being attacked and mauled. It's insane. What is the solution to this very un-rainbow indifference?
    (Other than that, for me, my dog and friends, this years Ocala gathering was wonderful. So many other beautiful memories! ) i am sure i am preaching to the choir here. But anyway, blessings, otter

5. earthmother

earthmother senior weirdo

Really a shame. I met Autumn shortly after Spirit got that dog and she was still nearly sane. I got a good relationship going on with her and she listened to me better than she did to him in the 3 days they were here (long story). But she was horibly mistreated......
    next time I saw her at the WV gathering she was mean and crazy...

6. i'm_not_beethoven420

i'm_not_beethoven420 Member

Dude you are lost & off target, you need to go back & reread my post again. Anyone who has a kitchen has rules & that does not make them a high holy, i am far from that. How about i just show up with my dog , kick back & actully enjoy myself & this time around not work at all for once & you run a kitchen wise guy.

7. barter mama

barter mama Member

Couldn't have said it better, brother. :) I have the same experience w/ my always leashed pooch. There were so many unleashed and unsupervised, and very aggressive, dogs at the gathering and they'd always come up & start something.

If you can't love your dog (and your brothers & sisters) enough to keep your pooch on a leash, then maybe you shouldn't be bringing a dog to the gathering (or even owning a dog!).

~peace for people & pooches :)

8. poorphucker

poorphucker Member

Oh... ok brother bear ;)

Sorry to comment, and pull you away from your ego. I know your time with yourself must be important!

Run a kitchen.... been there done that, on many occasions. Helped in kitchens even more.

Future kitchens will happen. Even if you decide to bliss out.

Whatever floats yer boast!

HOWEVER... I would NEVER turn down another person who wanted food. I guess that is where we differ on the subject.

How about hauling some water next gathering...k? Afterall... hauling that ego around must have kept ya in shape ;)

9. i'm_not_beethoven420

i'm_not_beethoven420 Member

I don't have an ego, i am actually a humble person. I am tired of your fuss, brother man, leave me be, OK? I am entitled to my thoughts & opnions, and this time around i voiced that i was tired of people, people who are supposed to be kynd brothers & sisters yelling crap at me as i walk along the trail with my dog, for no reason other than he is just that, a dog. I would understand if he was running up to them & being a problem. I was once bitten all up my leg at a gathering & i never once had one adverse thing to say to the owner of the dog, so why do people yell at me for just walking by?? Look you need to get over this, don't you have anything else to worry about other than me saying that i would like to have a dog friendly kitchen where my dog was not subject to harassment and abuse just for being a dog?

"The Dark?" "The Light? "Why be a half when i can be a whole!" Well brother man, i feel that you need to be a whole of the light, and not the dark as you have been expressing here in this thread, ok?

10. poorphucker

poorphucker Member

Usually when some one does not want to be a part of a conversation, be it negative or positive, they usually just don't post.

Kind of like thee ole... you want something to quit following you, then stop feeding it!

Since you kept wanting to converse....

I guess I must be having a problem understanding how deciding who gets fed at a rainbow gathering, on your own personal whim, fits into this agenda of the "light" you speak of.

I guess different things float different people's boats and we all have different views on what is this so called light and dark.

Keep yourself focused on the righteous path of light that you walk! I am sure that focusing all of your energy into one half of a whole will get you really far in your spiritual... whatever it is to you... your "holeness"

Whatever you are is whatever you are.

I could care less!

As for my darkness of sarcastically pointing out something that caught my eye... think whatever you like.

Like I said... different things float different boats!

Row row row yer boat....

11. Starsrainbow

Starsrainbow ~om~

'Pet Villages' :)

Well actually...how about different 'Pet Villages' outside area of gatherin?
    Doggy Village...Cat Village...an so on
    With that in mind treatment an care involved

They got 'bellybuttons' ;)

'Rainbow Hugs'

12. earthmother

I have been to several Rainbows in the past where there was a doggie kitchen. Folks could bring their dogs there for the day with water and food, and tie them to trees. There were folks there who looked after them while the owners were away... Someone just needs to do it, that's all.

13. Eclipse

Eclipse Member

I have a question which I will ask at the end of this.
    Of course dogs can cause problems. I love my dog, I give him a good life. In my mind, part of that is a leash free life (except where it would endanger himself or someone else).
    The argument seems to be that a leash is a preventative measure, to help decrease the chances of anything bad happening. You're also talking about restriction, lack of freedom and in my minf that is negative.
    Children can also act on instinct, but no one has of yet suggested leashing them. Not only socialization but the ability to make decisions for oneself are necessary to develop, mature and integrate oneself into a community. I fail to see the difference between children and dogs.
    Its not a question of whether or not preventative measures should be taken, of course they should; in the form of training, owner/companion alertness etc.
    My dog is almost always free of a leash except when I sit/lay down at which point he becomes protective. He likes our campsite to be left alone. When we are up and around during they day and he is approached by another dog he'll always do the polite introduction and then he wants to walk away. He will run from the other dog it is only if it pursues him that he will attack. If he is on a leash and unable to get away he'll attack immediately.
    I feel comfortable keeping him off leash because his lack of interest in people or animals, he wants to be left alone.
    Once again a non issue if the dog's people are aware of what their dog is doing.
    But anywhere I go my dog also goes...always. My van is our home.
    Thankyou if you've read this far. The reason I put this out here is with the hope that I will recieve some feedback. I would like to know if folks on here share my opinion or if they think my dog and I should refrain from attending gatherings? (hes never been in a fight at one, but it doesn't mean he never will be).
    here and now.

14. earthmother

Dog ownership and behavior is not just black and white. Dogs run on instinct, no matter how good their training is. They do not have reasoning minds, they can't think "oh, I shouldn't do this or that" they only have whatever training they have which sometimes can override their natural instincts, and each dog has its own unique personality, so that comes into play also. Luckily you have a dog with the right sort of personality to deal with other strange dogs, but this is not the rule. A more submissive dog will roll on its back or lower its head when confronted by another dog and this tells the other dog that they are not a threat. But lots of folks do not have those kinds of dogs. Dogs are very similar to children and usually in the dog owners mind, it IS their child. But dogs can be far more dangerous than children. What if everytime our children met some of them had no discipline and had been given weapons to use as they wished? It is futile to make that comparison.

I own 15 dogs. There is not one of them that I would care to take to a gathering. Not because of what they might do, but because of what could happen to them. I care about them too much to put them in harms way. Because the bottom line is that alot of folks for some unknown reason, like to have dogs that carry the natural instincts of the fighter. It is a very unnatural environment for a dog to be put in a position where there are alot of other strange dogs.

I do think that people with very small dogs should NOT take them to gatherings. They have all the disadvantage in a group of larger strange dogs. I also think that if your dog is well behaved at all times, there is no reason to keep it on a leash, but at a gathering where the situation is constantly changing, there is no real way to know what will happen in any given dog meeting. It just seems to me that the energy it would take to have a dog with you and the constant attention it would require in regards to meeting MANY other strange dogs, would take so much time and energy that it would detract from being able to enjoy the gathering.

The attitudes of the dog owners come into play as well. We had a gathering at our home this summer. I was on my way with my dogs to pen them up as the people were starting to arrive. Just as I was crossing the road heading for the dog yard, someone walked up who had just arrived with a chiuaua on a leash. She saw that my dogs were loose at the moment but she ignored that. One of my small chiuaua type dogs jumped on her dog for just a second, then quit. My dogs argue amongst themselves far worse than that. But she came unglued, and starting threating me. I had NO time to even appologise or ask if her dog was ok, let alone explain that I was on the way to pen them up. She was all over me, totally rude. She make such a spectacle, meanwhile my dogs just went about their business bothering nobody. I finally had enough of her and told her if she couldn't
    improve her attitude she could take her dog and leave... So in essence, the owner became far more of a problem than the dogs.

It is entirely up to you whether you take your dog to gatherings or not. But you must take some responsibility for putting it in that type of environment. It is not just the other dogs fault, or the other dog owners fault if something goes wrong.

15. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

we have some very good family here,, they have 2 dogs,, one is yin,the others yang..

they are in balance as long as the parents are there..

they turn there head on the agressive one, shes killin somethin..

its been a balance as i see it,, but theres no way id reccomend there agressive dog be brought to a gathering without a leash..

not to say i dont think the dog is a good dog,, shes just intence..

love n light

16. HonorSeed

HonorSeed Senior Member

I have 8 dogs left, they don't get out in public much like me. I go into town once or twice a month for supplies. The few times I have taken one dog into public, aggressive or not, they act real anxious. New sights, new smells, strange sounds. Dogs are territorial by nature and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to subject this animal to a place it would naturally try to defend space around it that it has no claim to. It messes with their minds. If a dog gets loose, whereever it is at, it can go beserk if another human or animal gets to close. People can rub shoulders in public without hardly even noticing each other, dogs can't usually. Dem thar iz me 2 cents worth.

17. JoneeEarthquake

JoneeEarthquake Member

owned...but seriously, dogs dont belong at shows. broken glass!

18. Jstone

Jstone Member

Children like dogs... we should be so lucky. ) More like a band of wild , untaimed, curious , dirty monkeys. Love my little monkeys..
    I didn't meet a dog I did'n't like at the gathering, but there were a few that didn't like each other. It always gets a bit heavy as everyone "holds their breath" until after the intial butt sniffin is over. If only they could be more like us and just get along better.. :)
    I don't think that the dogs have that great of a time.. All those people, all that guarding and all those Dog things. Imagine having to mark your territory every five minutes.
    Seriously.. You and your dog should come but if someone is just bringing their dog for fun... maybe not.
    I get the same thing when I take my kids places people don't think they should be.. Like the post office at lunch time.
    Peace and Love for you and your little dog too.....
    Sunshine

19. HonorSeed

HonorSeed Senior Member

There isn't much difference between dogs butt sniffing and people focusing on each others negative emotional waste products like anger and fear. The diff is it doesn't come out of the butt with people, it comes outta the brain. To tell ya the truth, lately due to my heightened sensitivity and picking up telepathically brainwaves, there are some people i have never seen before i have a real strong urge to bite the ears offa, they don't listen worth a god damn fucking shit. Guess they are warming up for being a politician or doctor. Good day mates, sure is great to be alive:)

20. Jstone

Jstone Member

:)