your fucking dog does not want to go on tour..or to the gathering..

Discussion in 'Rainbow Family' started by drumminmama, Jul 10, 2006.

1. hippiestead

hippiestead Ms.Cinnamon

All we know is that dogs should be vaccinated before going to a Gathering & our dog stays leashed at a Gathering cuz she hates other dogs....

So if someone's unleashed dog comes up to sniff our dog & gets bit, who's fault is it? we certainly aren't leaving our dog in a kennel or with a sitter, she's been with us since she was 4 1/2 weeks old & separation from her 'pack' would be much more tramatic than hanging out on a leash.

2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

weeeeeeellllllll was it?

what'd you do now? I'm getting tired of being your lawyer....

3. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

hehehhehehe,, tis all good sister i was just gonna go out in a blaze of conviction if skip kept the ban on sigs..

no lawyer needed at this moment..
    but thanks fer bein there.. ;)

lovin you... :)

4. free2fly

free2fly Members

Yeah I was surprised to see the "free Parvo shots" coming through, Ive heard of free rabies shots but not that, thought that was interesting ... hope it helped..... but I dont think it would have taken effect soon enough to ward off anything caught at the gathering,,,

One thing I noticed about the "leashed dogs" ...was the absence of the OWNERS on the other end of the leash ... haha, manyyy dogs with leashes on just roaming around...

I cant count how many times I also saw the poor pups running back and forth frantically looking for owners, too. Sad.

5. malakala

malakala Member

It blows my mind that anyone who sincerely loved their dog wouldn't have had a parvo vaccination administered to their pet ALREADY, long before arriving at the gathering! I take my dog for routine health checkups regularly, not just when he gets sick. Prevention is always best.

6. malakala

malakala Member

Responsiblilty of the dog owners seems to be the real issue here. Yeesh.

7. chime

chime Member

the newspaper article i read said the routt county humane society imported parvo shots at a cost of $800, but that only 30 dogs got vaccinated because most owner said their dog had already been vaccinated (denver post). sounds like a good percentage of responsible pet owners to me. i know the rangers asked me if my dog had been vaccinated when i rolled in. also, there is usually a "lost dog" camp at rainbow. it's usually on the info board. kind of a canine lost & found where they'll be fed & kept safe 'til mom or dad catches up with them.

buckaroo goes with me everywhere and is my best friend. we are permanently on the road and my current mode of transport is his home. i am his home. he is well behaved, & loves other dogs. he is a "free-range" daschund. it's agro dogs that should be leashed. don't punish the good behavior.

rainbow dog story: buckaroo has the rainbow name of "speed bump" because this year in ocala the leo's were rolling in hard. buckaroo was standing in the middle of the road so the 2 vehicles had to come to a complete stop. they honked & hit the sirens. buckaroo just looked at them, turned and started trotting slowly down the street - in the middle of the road. we all laughed at this parade of proud little pace-car dog and pissed-off officers slowly passing by.

as parking-lot scott wrote on the ceiling of my bus "dogs are people too, and some people should be on leashes".

lovin' ya'll - two legged or four. chime

8. malakala

malakala Member

Amen to that sister!

9. Medusamama

Medusamama Member

I'm back and forth on the dog thing, I've seen some really well cared or dogs (dogs that ate before their owners did, which is how it oughta be)and some that I wished I could have taken away from their crappy owners.

What I can't stand to see is cats.
    Dogs kinda make sense, nomatic pack animals fit the scene...cats on the other hand are solitary terratorial critters. Your dog may or may not wanna travel with you, but that freaking kitten sure as shit don't!

10. hippiestead

hippiestead Ms.Cinnamon

Are you sure that there is no cat that wants to travel? Our daughter Pixie's cat used to love to travel, his favorite perch was on top of Pixie's backpack & he was the happiest kitty ever in MO where he could hunt mice to his hearts content and the bonus was that there were no mice sneaking into our kitchen's supply tent.

Pets at the Gathering are no problem in our view as long as owners are not irresponsible; bury their shit, make sure they have enough food & water, keep shots up to date & if your pet is going to be a distrubance to others, leash it (hopefully unleashed dogs & cats are smart enough to stay away from our leashed dog when she growls, luckily she is the type that gives a warning. Anybody remember 'bus pirahna' Vita?

11. cheese-wiz

cheese-wiz Banned

wow ....i am glad the LEOs were kind enough not to run your dog over while you watched it stand in the road...

sounds like like the actions of a responsable dog owner....[​IMG]

12. Lucky

Lucky Member

this artical makes me sad.. my 4 month old pup slipped his collar in the dark the morning of the fourth.. I had to leave the next day before I found him, but my kids found him and gave him to a good home. I was in new orleans for 4 months before co and took care of 4 puppies who were sick and needed homes. I took them to vets, got them healthy, and gave all but 2 to good homes. I consider myself a good dog owner.. but still one of my pups ran away. sometimes shitty stuff happens..

13. barter mama

barter mama Member

I always have problems with unleashed dogs, it really pisses me off that people can't keep their dogs leashed (and keep their hands on the other end of the leash). My pooch is always leashed (he's a husky so he loves to run off when free) at gatherings, and never causes problems unless agro dogs come up to him. He was attacked at the California gathering by 2 huge pitbulls that latched onto either side of his neck. They just came up to him and latched on, really weird. I can't believe people just let dogs like that roam around, especially pitbulls (nothing against the breed, but they are usually bred to fight and have lock-jaw). I saw so many unleashed dogs, many of which came up to Juneau (my pooch) and growled or started shit. It's just sad that people put their dogs in a situation where they can get in fights. We really need to enforce the leash rule. Even for dogs that are normally fine off-leash, the sheer amount of dogs makes leashes a necessity. I thanked many responsible pet owners for leashing their dogs, and suggested to many irresponsible ones that they keep their animals on a leash. Dog fights are no fun. Luckily Juneau wasn't involved in any this year, but there were a few close calls. We carried a walking stick to separate dogs if necessary.

Juneau loves traveling, and has horrible separation anxiety so we wouldn't dream of leaving him in a kennel. He's our child, basically. And we care for him as such. I just wish that the other pet owners cared enough for their animals to keep a close eye (and leash) on them. Next time I think I will buy a bunch of cheap leashes or ropes and start handing them out to pet owners.

14. TurquoiseRose

TurquoiseRose Member

I really do think it depends on the dog. Pits should DEFINATELY be leased, but if a gang of weiners rome the area....big deal??? Some dogs can deal, others can't. Some just stay right by their owners, leash or not (certainly not my lab, but....he's a leasher). Those are fine. Let them have their doggie adventure, just keep you freakin' eye on them. They are furry children.

15. cheese-wiz

cheese-wiz Banned

i have never heard someone say they are a bad dog owner.....and losing a pet would pop you in that catagory......

16. blinkin

blinkin Senior Member

ok heres a story
    im sitting by the fire in the vegas lounge my 14 month olld and three year old were visiting my camp, they were down in kid village with there mom,
    this dogs kickin around and started growling at my children but it woul;d be shoowed away, I ask around and these fuckin clowns are sitting by there tent bitching that my kids are around....
    I walk up and say hey man your dogs do they bite? they say yep, so im like dude putr your dogs on a leash then I dont want my kids bit....from there a huge freaking argumnet ensued about which had the right to run around children or fucking vicious dogs......

dont bring your fucking pets to gatherings.......or if you really have to
    why not keep them on a leash...they are fucking animals domesticated or not they can go off in strange environments.....bite my kids the dogs dead end of story

17. NatureIsAWhore

NatureIsAWhore Member

The LEOs didnt bring the kegs to main circle A Camp did. They walked right past me and my husband. One of the guys who was carrying a keg was Mouse from A Camp. They knocked down one of the elders who was tryin to stop them from goin to main circle. He sat there for a few mins but finally got up. They didnt go all the way down into main circle they stood next to a tree right outside of main circle and drank their beer as a tribute to a brother who died in the past year and then they left.

18. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

Wow...that's a really crazy story. Dog's over children? Is that even a real ISSUE?

Apparently to some people...sheesh

19. napolean inrags95

napolean inrags95 Member

like you said, dogs can react strangely in strange environments, animals that have been treated well dont usually fuck with humans for no reason. i can't tell you how many times ive had little kids climb on my dogs back and pull on his tail and then get pissed at me when he growls at them...

people need to teach their kids how to interact with strange dogs just as much as people need to take responsibility for their dogs. not saying that was the case in your situation though, it's just something people need to recognize.

20. i'm_not_beethoven420

i'm_not_beethoven420 Member

Actually, my fucking dog loves going on tour & to gatherings. His first 3 summers he spent traveling in a van, he is 10 now. He has been to several gatherings ( national & 4 regionals ) & there were outright rude people yelling at me as i walked along the trail with him. I am chef, and have spent my time cooking in kitchens, 99 pa national at half moon kitchen, and i did a one night thing in ocala once called the 3eyed cafe.

I have decided that the next national i can get to i am going to do a styled out kitchen called Duncan's Kitchen, and make yummy diggity food, mmmmm. But anyone who bitches about Duncan ( my dog ) being in the kitchen, will be asked to leave and not to return looking for a meal for the rest of the gathering.

I love my dog & have trained him well, in new york city he was able to walk off leash because he is that trained. I do not let him run off & cause problems, not all dog owners are careless people, not all dogs are jerks. Above all i am tired of piss ass people yelling at me as i walk by with a dog. People who do not even know me, just the usual high holy people who are controll freaks & want to try to boss everyone around.