Your fav artists from your country.

Discussion in 'Music' started by Freekowtski, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Freekowtski

Freekowtski Member

Sometimes we listen to music that comes from other parts of the world and we don't care about the music made in ours (usually those who come from outside UK and US, not always, though...). So, I propose two questions...

Where are you from? And what are your favourite musicians from your country?

2. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Russia - Unka y Bronevichok, 5Nizza, DDT, Nautilus Pompilius, Zemfira, Vladimir Visotski, Bulat Okudjava, Boris Grebinshekov, Mashina Vremini, and so many others.

Israel - Tipex, Shlomo Artzi, Infected Mushroom, Kangoroo, The Parvarim, and a couple of others.

Honduras - Ehh.... ehh... Well... ehh... Dj Sy and his crappy reggaeton is probably the best thing to come out music-wise from Honduras. That, and he was one of my best friend's neighbor (DJ Sy is a dumbass who really liked cocaine, by the way).

3. Freekowtski

Freekowtski Member

Are you Russian? Israeli? or Honduran? Or the three of them? I'm freeking out, hahahaha!

Well, as the thread I post, I'll try to make a list from nation, not from my country (you see, Catalonia is a nation whether the Spanish Government don't see that...). So, these are my fav artists!

1. Umpah-Pah: I discovered them because of my brother. I used to listening, not much though, to their first LP called Raons de Pes, which I highly recommend you all. They are fantastic, trippy, and so crazyyy.The most famous track, which I don't think you know, is "La catximba" (The hookah). It's a reggae song about a type of pot planted here.

2. Sau. "Boig per tu" (Mad about you) is a well-known anthem here in Catalonia (and Spain, too, thanks to Luz Casal's version!), it's about the love to the moon. A nostalgic new wave band from the nineties.

3. Sangtraït. A very, very, very beautiful hard rock band. I recommend you to look for "El senyor de les pedres" (The stone man) or "Eclipsi" (Eclipse).

And last one...

4. La Companyia Elèctrica Dharma. A classic in our nation. A jazzy/celtic pop band. They got a very upbeat songs to dance to. I love them!

Lax'n'Busto, N'Gai N'Gai, Els Pets, Sopa de Cabra... most of their generation are pretty good ones.

4. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

I'm all 3, ha!

I really like Heroes Del Silencio (and Bunbury's solo stuff) when it comes to music from Spain.

5. FrozenMoonbeam

FrozenMoonbeam nerd

I'm from New Zealand.

we have a lot of awesome dub/jazzy roots/reggae stuff (that is great on record but is at its best when it is live and you are dancing to it, preferabley in a field in the sunshine or on the beach at night). The big names are

Fat Freddy's Drop
    The Black Seeds
    Kora
    Rhombus
    Katchafire
    and others like the (sadly defunct) Trinity Roots and also the Little Bushmen. I get to see them iin a couple of weeks - psychadelic roots music..arg! excited!

I also like a few of the more rocky bands like The Mint Chicks. (Their single Crazy? Yes! Dumb? No! is fantastic.)

6. Freekowtski

Freekowtski Member

How cool you are, Rubin! :)

Better Heroes than his solo career.

7. fountains of nay

fountains of nay Planet Nayhem!

Most of the dance music I listen to

8. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Haha, gracias :)

Los Heroes son mejor, pero si me gusto "Flamingos" de Bunbury.

Y pues... claro que Ska-P es de Espana, y es un grupo excelente.

9. PSYCHEDELICA MAN

PSYCHEDELICA MAN The psychman

belgium--fav's now:deus and admiral freebee,fav's from the 60's:the pebbles(seven horses in the sky) and the wallace collection (daydream)

10. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Oh man, eeehm... Orange Sunshine and 35007 are probably my favourites. And also Ayreon. Don't like their most pure progressive rock stuff, but he has some sublime albums which consists of a mix of space, psych, prog rock and heavy metal. I recommend Into the electric castle to any prog and psych rock lover on this forum, I bet you like it!
    Of course I love the blues rock stuff of bands like Shocking Blue (you probably know their song Venus), and Cuby & the Blizzards. Herman Brood was a very special dutch artist to me as well.
    I also like the frisian folk singer Piter Wilkes and the grunninger Ede Staal (who passed away already). Other dutch music from the past I like are Brainbox, who made great rock, the folk rock group Fungus, mainly for their song Al die willen te kaap'ren varen :) and the psychedelic rock group Group 1850. The legendary Golden Earring is a good dutch band as well, but not among my personal favs. Doe maar needs to get mentioned as well. One of the best dutch bands that made some cool kind of mix of pop, reggae and ska.

11. Freekowtski

Freekowtski Member

Hahahaha! Ska-P are very famous here! But better listen to my list, they are fucking great as well! You must listen to them! And if you want some punk with some hints of ska, Kortatu is the best one here! Fermín Muguruza is the King! Who said Elvis? hahaha! :p

12. sourdiesel06

sourdiesel06 Member

We need some Australians to come on here talkin up John Butler Trio, but he spent his early childhood in the states so I'll do it for them and give him an honorary mention. But I can't honestly say anything other than a toss up between the Doors, Grateful Dead, and Umphrey's McGee with Umphrey's maybe gaining a slight edge cuz they're from the Chicago area.

13. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

Currently, Social Distortion is my favorite artist.

14. Looouise

Looouise Member

I'm from Sweden and I think some of the best Swedish music comes from The Ark and Mustasch.

15. Miss_Beatle

Miss_Beatle Beatlemaniac

I had to think about that one for a moment, most of my favorite bands are British. So i guess the ones that come to mind would be The Fray, Big Kid, and Nickleback. Those are pretty much the only bands I listen to that are from today, excluding some British and Australian bands/artists, such as James Blunt, Keith Urban, and McFly.

But other than those...I only listen to oldies, which, are mostly British. *cough* example: BEATLES *cough*.

16. frkadela

frkadela Member

Obojeni program ("Colored program" in English)...
    Alternative rock, new wave, punk and stuff...
    I'm not really sure what kind of music they play...

17. sanja_serbia

sanja_serbia Senior Member

There's this guy, Djordje Miljenovic, a.k.a. MC Sky Wikluh, he made the rock (funky/jazz) opera "Zagadjenje u Japanu" (Pollution in Japan), it's about a man changing his sex and becoming the most popular female singer in the world and it's the craziest thing I've ever heard...

Besides him, there are bands such as EKV, Block Out, Haustor and one from my hometown, Kompromis 69 (Compromise 69), which stopped existing after it's first great album....

And I usually don't prefer rap, but I love Marchelo's music and lyrics which present the exact feelings many young people in Serbia have when it comes to dissatisfaction by our enviroment....

18. maryjanegirl_2005

maryjanegirl_2005 Controlled Chaos

I'm from usa and i think classic country rocks... Come On who doesn't like JOHNNY CASH!

19. Ellis

Ellis Member

I'm from Belgium.

My favorite bands are:
    dEUS
    Zita Swoon
    Usual Suspects
    Millionaire
    Triggerfinger
    there are probably more but i can't think of anything right now

20. Trix_Bunny

Trix_Bunny Member

I'm from Ireland and my Favourite Irish artists are probably Thin Lizzy, Aslan, Snow Patrol and the Wolfetones.