young women and advertisement

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by dances in pajamas, Aug 17, 2006.

1. dances in pajamas

dances in pajamas strange little girl

I just want to get everyone's opinion on how modern-day advertisement portrays women and what you think about it/how it influences young girls and young women.

I think it's ridiculous. Models are airbrushed and posed and lit to look "perfect". These images are setting such unattainable goals for girls. A minority of plus-sized models exist, but I don't think they're a minority. I think they're beautiful and that women should have curves. Twiggy, boney girls are not the majority of women, yet these are the types that are massly advertised.

I don't understand how people today can view a size 12-14 size woman as "large" and a size 5-6 woman as "normal". There is no "normal" body type, but the media is setting one. Even I feel bad about myself because a "normal" and "sexy" image is massly produced. I'm embarrassed about it, yes, but everyone sees it and is affected by it.

What do you think? What kind of message do you get? I'm just curious to hear what other women think.

2. GermanLoveMachine

GermanLoveMachine Member

I think you have to make a difference between different kind of "models". When it comes to fashion models, I think the reason is that nearly all fashion designers are homosexuals, so they want the models that show their creations to look not like women, but like men !

Its a total different thing when it comes to models from TV commercials or something. Just as an example from Germany, google pictures from Verona Pooth (or Verona Feldbusch, that was her former name.) She is not only succesfull as an actress and once had her own show, but she does also millions of TV commercials. (For those to lazy to google: Take my word, this woman has REALLY curves, cant even count how often I have fantasized to put my boner between her boobs :cool: )

And if you look at the girls for example from Rap videos, I guess you wont find ANY skinny chicks there !

3. Raving Sultan

Raving Sultan Banned

I hate advertising and commericials so much. The T&A factor is the only thing that makes them barable. Alot of entertainment is being thrown into advertising not just young girls.

4. shirley

shirley Member

Now i don't buy those young-teenager magazines like bliss and sugar, but i used to and what always anonyed me was how they were always going on about how every girl is beautiful, no matter how fat/thin, tall/short you are.. but then all the models in the fashion pages were thin tall and 'beautiful'..

5. fistermister

fistermister Member

If everyone could look like those models, then we would not consider those models to be beautiful.

6. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

Advertising is not designed to make ANYONE feel good about themselves. It is designed to make you feel inadequate, not good enough, (for whatever reason - not skinny enough, not rich enough, not the right hair color, etc), and whether conciously or subconciously, to implant the idea in your mind that THIS PRODUCT will give you what you're lacking. THIS PRODUCT will make your life worth living in a way that it is not right now, because you are <insert inadequacy here>.

The rest of television, magazines, all of it, follows suit. Advertising pays the bills, so everyone wants to be agreeable to the advertisers. And consumers pay the advertisers' bills, and thousands of anorexic teenagers can't be wrong, can they?

Answer: Yes, of course they can be wrong - but only when the product being shamelessly slung is the latest depression medication, or whatever other product has been invented this week to help those girls out of their "mysterious" self-image issues.

This is a problem not only encountered by young women - but being a massive target consumer audience, they do get a lot of it....

7. spooner

spooner is done.

The sad truth is not everyone is beautiful.

You just have to deal with it if you aren't.

8. fistermister

fistermister Member

I find this to be the case with many American (read US) sit-coms.

9. fistermister

fistermister Member

Exactly my point. Advertising is not the problem it is people.