Young voters.

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Sunnie, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Sunnie

Sunnie Jes-Jes

Only 25% of Canadians in between the ages of 18yrs and 25yrs vote. It's a pretty sad statistic if you ask me. I think Canada should make voting mandatory, just like it is in Australia. If people continue to be apathetic at the ballots, there will NOT be a majority government.
    Many younger Canadians complain about the politicians not addressing issues that effect us (ie. Student loans, car insurance etc.)but, why should the politicians bother to put forth any effort if young voters refuse to do so as well.
    Please get out there and vote.

2. olhippie54

olhippie54 Touch Of Grey Lifetime Supporter

I agree all should vote or don't bitch. But, I do have a problem with manditory voting.

3. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I don't think anybody should be made to do anything they don't want to do. Sometimes people don't vote out of protest, and people shouldn't be condemned for doing so.

What I would like more than anything is for people to simply wake up and really take a look at what's going on around them. Only then will there be more people voting. Making a person vote serves no purpose if people are not informed on the issues, so therefore I think mandatory voting is not only a violation of a person's rights, but it's virtually useless.

4. olhippie54

Damn! Another thing I agree with Rat on!!!

5. Sunnie

Sunnie Jes-Jes

That's a very good point. I never thought of it like that.

But what does it take for people to start voting? What is the point of living in a democracy if you don't vote?

6. olhippie54

Sunnie, that's the $64,000 question.