You wont find a manhole in Berkeley anymore

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Vanilla Gorilla, Jul 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-m...-remove-gendered-pronouns-its-municipal-code/

"In Berkeley, Calif., “man-made” will soon be “human made,” “chairman” will become “chairperson,” and “manhole” will change to “maintenance hole” — at least, in the city’s municipal code"

"In an effort to make Berkeley more inclusive for its non-binary residents, the city council voted Tuesday night to make the language more gender neutral, following a city clerk review that found that the municipal code primarily contained masculine pronouns. That means many professions such as firemen and firewomen will simply be “firefighters,” and “brothers” and “sisters” will instead be “siblings.”"

Enjoy ;)

2. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

PS: if you are not sure what non-binary means, it means people that are so fat, everybody else isnt exactly sure if they are a chic or a dude

WritersPanic and morrow like this.
  3. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Men and women having gender roles has worked since humanity began.

The cultures like the ancient Greeks, the Incas, the eskimos, the early Chinese civilizations all had a system where the men were the leaders of the family and the women raised the children. None of these cultures ever met for thousands of years. If gender is a social construct, non-binary people exist, and male and female brains are the same, then why is it no coincidence that all these societies had the same gender roles?

We can look at the past to know what works. A non binary society has never been tested.

Being offended by gender inclusive words is a spoiled brat’s first world problem.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    WritersPanic likes this.
  4. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

VG

And this is a big thing for you because….

ZenKarma likes this.
  5. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Oh let’s see if 6 can think this through on his own

Why do you think men and women’s roles were often different in more primitive often religious, pre-industrial societies with unscientific medical practices and why things have been moving toward more equality since the industrial revolution, secularisation, the taking up of democracy and the advancement of healthcare and medicines?

[edit] You could also ask yourself if a subservient role was what women wanted there is a law on the earliest known law codes from around 2400 BC – that says “If a woman speaks out of turn, then her teeth will be smashed by a brick” many laws since then might have been more subtle but were pretty much along the same lines and just think of all the imaginative ways some religions have found to keep women in line.

6. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

When in Berkeley, do as the Berkeleyites do! I never thought of "manholes" as being particularly sexist, but I have no problem with "maintenance holes". And I thought "firefighter" was standard by now (much like "flight attendant') Men and women differ statistically in hormone levels and related characteristics like aggressiveness and muscle mass, and women still have the babies.
    Matters of the Brain: Why Men and Women Are So Different
    Scientific American: Sex Differences in the Brain -- Men and women display patterns of behavioral and cognitive differences that reflect varying hormonal influences on brain development
    9 Differences Between the Male and Female Brain – Brain Fitness For Life
    Yet many of the behavioral differences associated with these traits are culturally imposed. During most of human existence, especially in the Neolithic, relations between men and women were relatively equal, until the advent of heavy plows--giving men an edge because of the statistical differences in upper body strength.
    On the Origins of Gender Roles: Women and the Plough
    Steve Sailer: iSteve: Plow Cultures v. Hoe Cultures
    Guest Post: Modern gender roles and ancient farming | naked capitalism
    In a two career household such as ours, my wife and I find that rigid division of labor over who does the cooking, childcare, etc., doesn't work. Basically, it's whoever is available. We can look to the past to see what works, but also what doesn't work. Slavery "worked" for a long time in getting the jobs done, but the side effects and impact on individuals were such that people came to see it as immoral and unjust, and we gave it up--and have been better off for it.[/QUOTE]

Balbus likes this.
  7. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

VG is all about manholes ;) :p

Too easy? Acknowledged.

8. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

Stupid

9. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

It would be worth a visit to Berkeley, just to see the signs on the public toilets. :yum::yum::yum:

ZenKarma likes this.
  10. Boozercruiser

Boozercruiser Kenny Lifetime Supporter

This sort of political correctness makes me so angry.:rage:

I would like to put all the idiots who dream up this sort of shite, down in a Person Hole.
    Then cover it in with concrete! :laughing:

idahocowboy likes this.
  11. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

;)

12. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Like being in the zoo, rattling the cage, then watching the monkeys go crazy ;)

Noserider and Driftrue like this.
  13. 6-eyed shaman

Do you believe in evolution? Probably not.

Those primitive gender roles have existed in humanity thousands upon thousands of years longer than the industrial revolution and equality movements. We might have an industrialized society that allow gender roles to be intermingled but primal basic human instincts have been around much longer. Many women will tell you that they look for protective and provider characteristics in finding a man even to this day. Women can protect and provide for themselves just better than they ever could before this day in age. But the primal instinct is still there. There’s no amount of societal changes that can alter primal human instincts that have evolved with humanity. You see similar gender roles in the animal kingdom too

Hmm sounds like Islam.

14. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

In this thread I am no doubt going to hear every theory under the sun about gender inequality and why it exists, pretty much all those theories reported by males living in "enlightened" first world nations. Everything from Darwinism to, well Okiefreak has already mentioned farming equipment

Im heading over to Thailand again next week, the most matriarchal society on the planet, and I will be asking myself the same questions i have for the near 20 years I have been travelling there, questions I still dont have the answers for

Questions like:

Why do the chics seem to be in charge of everything, and where the fuck are all the guys?.

And why is the situation so different in Thailand, plenty of other countries in the world in a similar economic situation and their women get shat on and yet somehow Thailand is the complete opposite. Is it the religion, the culture, is it as simple as the size difference or lack thereof between the genders.

You go to the markets there, 90% of the stalls will be run by women, half the time you go to a hotel it will be run by women and youd be lucky to see a single male worker. Go to any bank its always 90% female employees Even with the taxi drivers they seem to have a far higher proportion of female drivers than anywhere else.

Especially when you get away from the tourist areas it gets very obvious - where the hell are all the men 15-55?

We want to think in UK, US, Aus we are enlightened, progressive, but everytime I come back, Im scratching my head, why is everything the reverse of everywhere else in Thailand regarding this gender equality issue?

YouFreeMe likes this.
  15. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

You said "hole." :tongueclosed:

16. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I think butt holes should be called excrement holes.

ZenKarma, Boozercruiser and Driftrue like this.
  17. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I'm looking at shoes and wondering how long it'll be until they try to impose changes on using women's and men's shoe designations.

18. deleted

deleted Visitor

they already make shoes in sizes that would be for the opposite sex. tho some ladies shoes might not go up any higher than 10, and male shoes might not go lower than 7..

youth shoe designs are often never the same in adult sizes, there some designs and traction patterns I like but they dont come in adult.

19. 6-eyed shaman

California has the highest poverty rate of all 50 states, and they see language policing of gender pronouns as a higher priority

20. deleted

deleted Visitor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.