you notice that there arent any "B" batteries??

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by madcrappie, Jan 14, 2005.

1. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

maybe its to not cause confusion....

because if someone was asking for some batteries, and they say I would like b-batteries, you wouldnt know if they were stuttering or not.

2. NaykidApe

NaykidApe Bomb the Ban

I think going around to drug stores and hardware stores and demanding triple B batteries sounds like a great way to kill time and make friends.

3. missfontella

missfontella Mama of Da Assassins

good point

4. Juggalo4ever

Juggalo4ever KingoftheChubbyGirls

There use to be a "B" battery (63 volts) back in the sixties, but it was rarely used. There isn't an "A" battery either but I'm not sure there ever was. Now an "A" battery would cause some confusion.

5. HippyCor$ter

HippyCor$ter Ackamonkey

Two very good points.

6. EllisDTripp

EllisDTripp Green Secessionist

There were all kinds of "B" batteries, not just the "63 volt" (67 1/2 volts, actually) ones. 22 1/2, 45, 90, and 300 V were all common.

The terminology goes back to the days of tube radios. Radios required at least 2 voltages to operate, a low voltage to heat the tube filaments, and a high voltage for the plate circuits. These were provided by "A" and "B" batteries, respectively. In some cases, both batteries were contained in the same cardboard package, called an "AB" battery. Some sets needed a third voltage for grid bias, supplied by--you guessed it--a "C" battery.

The designations A, B or C were generic names. There were many different types of each, designated by a type number.

7. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

i was just gonna say that...:rolleyes:

8. makno

makno Senior Member

yea , everybody knows that .