you know how they used to call black people "colored people"?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by interval_illusion, Jan 21, 2005.

1. velvet

velvet Banned

I have no idea what you're talking about...

Since English isn't my first language I don't even know all the insulting words..

Spic - black people, jump down turn around..
    Chink- asian people, problem driving cars
    Honkie - white people, generally found in the presence of goats

That as insulting as I can get on my own :p

What are mexicans called? I know a guy that refers to himself as Chicano but that's different from a 'real' mexican right?

:p

2. BlackGuardXIII

BlackGuardXIII fera festiva

its all mildly amusing until you see your grandads eyes bulging out, cuz he's hung by the neck from a magnolia tree with a bunch of flaming coneheads proudly posing below.......

3. BlackGuardXIII

"Bows respectfully, and offers icepack, bandages, and whatever else he can do to help her forget the insanity."

4. tigerlily

tigerlily proud mama

interesting post...

here, (i live in west texas, btw) "spic" is short hispanic.. or mexican... spic, and even mexican, are considered derogatory while hispanic isn't...

i just remembered, i had a friend in highschool (incredibly intelligent girl who was raised here) who said she preferred to be called black over african american, because she is so far removed from any relatives who were actually born there...

5. BlackGuardXIII

My ex and her sister were at church talking with the minister one Sunday morning when a man walked up and joked, " Who let these darkies in here?"

HA fucking HA

My dad, grandma, and a few other members of my family still say Japs, Pakis, etc.
    I agree with you. It is NOT okay, unless the intent is wellknown beforehand and the person hearing it is fully comfortable with it.
    I am always called 'sensitive', by the bigots around here for calling them on it.
    Damn rights I'm sensitive. It is totally hateful, mean, hurtful, and uncaring to use these insulting slurs. there is a big fucking difference between me being called a honky or cracker, and my Native fiance being called a chug, or my ex being called a ******. Anyone who cant see that is on a different wavelength than me, thats for sure.

6. Epiphany

Epiphany Copacetic

I meant the term, "colored"... Last time I checked, we all had color. Was the person who invented the term albino? Actually, even they have color. White...

My grandmother still uses this term. She doesn't mean it in a deragatory sense, but nonetheless.

7. olhippie54

olhippie54 Touch Of Grey Lifetime Supporter

I say negro.

8. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

I say spark

9. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

Not true.

In light, black is the absence of colour and white light is all colours together, in pigment, (ie paint) it is all colour combined. A prism will separate the colours of light.

edit: I see that someone already said this, but i didn't feel like reading that many pages.

Melanin is what gives EVERY ONE OF US their skin colour. Except for albinos, which is why they are albinos. We just have different levels to give us different shades. Lighter people have less, darker people have more. I am so sick of all this black/white/ghetto/redneck crap.
    I will say what I tell my children when they ask about why people are different.....People look like their parents. And so on and so on.

I really can't stand this passive agressive crap. It's like a little kid, holding their finger in their sibling's face and saying "I'm not touching you! I'm not touching you!"

10. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

Black is still the absence of color .... "pigmented" people would therefore make more sense then calling someone "colored" people.

11. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

Since when are people made out of light? And no, it doesn't make sense, because we are all varying shades of the same colour.

12. interval_illusion

well, doh... i was trying to make a point that calling people "colored" people when they're color is closer on the spectrum to no color is retarded.

of course calling people "pigmented" people is retarded too but i guess you did not get what i was trying to say and that's okay.

(btw, i have stated MANY times on here that there is no race... only in a social context, not biologically*sigh*)

13. interval_illusion

btw, daisy... were you calling me passive aggressive? i hope not. this was just a thought i had on how silly i thought a certain term was.

however, i should have known not to make a thread that has ANYTHING to do with race on here.

14. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

I know that you and MissF aren't getting along, and making a race thread seems passive agressive to me.

15. interval_illusion

wow. just wow. actually, we've worked things out enough through pm's and i wasnt even thinking of her while i made this thread.

didnt know i had to censor my random thoughts- that seems kinda silly!?

16. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

Does this sound "worked out" to you?

No one said anything about censoring. Just be aware that some "random thought" will cause a stir, so don't be surprised.

17. interval_illusion

um, quite frankly... i was not thinking about her when i made this thread. therefore, i will say what i want.

honestly, i would tell you to mind your own business because this is way off topic of the thread. i dont need any drama here.

im sure if missF was upset about anything it was about the TOPIC.. not me personally. and she was a right to talk about or debate any topic just like i do (as well as everyone else)... but please stay on topic and dont try to start unneccasary drama.

thanks.

ps- if i really wanted to start something (which i dont)- i dont go passive aggresive. no need for that passive shit. if i got something to say, you're gonna know it.

18. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

On topic....

Black is not the absence of colour, it is the presence of ALL colours. Think about it, if you mix red, blue and yellow (the primary colours, the source of all colours) you do not get white.

19. interval_illusion

that's not true. check supernova's post on page three i think it is. white is the prescene of all colors in the spectrum, not the other way around.

that's all i was thinking of when i started this thread.

20. interval_illusion

actually, in the spectrum, black is the absence of all color, white is the presence of all colors. that's why black is said to absorb color - it doesn't reflect anything. white however, does. white light, in the original spectrum, is all colors. however, each color has a different wavelength and is bent at a different angle, making the rainbow.

that's what supernova wrote and that's all i was thinking of when i made this thread.