you know how they used to call black people "colored people"?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by interval_illusion, Jan 21, 2005.

1. superNova

superNova Member

actually, in the spectrum, black is the absence of all color, white is the presence of all colors. that's why black is said to absorb color - it doesn't reflect anything. white however, does. white light, in the original spectrum, is all colors. however, each color has a different wavelength and is bent at a different angle, making the rainbow.

anyway i saw this wonderful video one time, it was a forum of people talking about the usage of african american (the group was people of all different races and groups), and it made so much sense to me why those of african american decent would want to be called as such. and i have no problems with that ;)

2. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

bell... i havent heard anyone use the term "colored" that wasnt at least 80.

3. interval_illusion

THANK YOU. i knew i was right that black is the absence of color.

4. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

yes, black is the absence of color, or reflected light, but when have you ever seen a truly black person...COLENZO DONT COUNT!!!!!!!
    (bless his black soul)

5. interval_illusion

ive seen someone straight from africa that was pretty black. but not really anyone around here.

6. superNova

superNova Member

but btw to those who are mixing it ... in the color wheel, black IS the presence of all PIGMENT. not the presence of all COLOR. the absence of all PIGMENT is white, because there is nothing to reflect light in it and we just see white.

7. Juggalo4ever

Juggalo4ever KingoftheChubbyGirls

And wesly Snipes too

[​IMG]

8. interval_illusion

yep yep.

9. Soulless||Chaos

Soulless||Chaos SelfInducedExistence

It depends really, generaly speaking, white is the absence of color. But if you're speaking of light, then white is all the colors. Black isn't all the colors, or none of them, it's the absence of ligh. Or some shit like that, like anyone cares. Besides, it also depends on the color model your are speaking of. :rolleyes:

10. howl

howl Member

i had a little state sanctioned vaction for awhile.... in the resort i was staying at i could call anyone a nigga, but if i had any desire to eat anything other than my own teeth, "colored" was deffinately out. strange how that works..... i chose to call everybody horse instead.

11. Revenant Phantasm

Revenant Phantasm Member

black and white are more shade than color, but black is the closest color to the AFRICAN AMERICAN's. BTW!! FOOLS!! its not just black called colored, basically anything cept white. back in the day it was mainly teh south that said blacks only i think and other places colors only (like mexicans or natives such as myself, not old but i am those races) because black was more common than other minorities in the south. but colored is a better word than ******, i know its taboo and i dont mean to offend any other colored, but wouldnt you rather becalled colored than ******, or spik or engine?

12. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

This thread is rather a surprise for me to read as we are not talking a colour wheel here, we are talking people. People who have every right to take pride in their ancestry and to celebrate it without discrimination, no matter how subtle that is. There should be no such label as how black nor how white. Nor should there be one about any other part of a person be it gender or religion or a zillion other issues.

Racism is subtle today (specific in this point being made to being black but not excluding other forms of racsim) as unless you are willing to ride out in a hood you know you can be held legally accountable for it. So while discussing is difficult at times, especially in print as race is an easy one to trip over as we as society accept certain slurs.....we actually do it mostly with so called humour. The joke about a native country or something specific to that region.....but we do it and as long as we do so with the so called humour we accept it.

We forget the humour extends only so far as the societal acceptance.....but societal acceptance needs to change.

I have no qualm about saying that I am a WASP because that is acceptable to most.....simply because we have held that power of might is right for generations....does not make it right. If my background was something else then acceptance might be different based upon the environment that I wish to be in.....that is reality.

I have had people who cried discrimination when there was none and on a professional level have had to deal with it....but it was not only over skin colours....it has been over other issues. Reality is though that some who have claimed it have had a valid complaint and it has been so subtle that to stop it has been difficult. Not impossible but difficult.

We have no need to do degrees of anything with people, if we can accept that each person is exactly that.....a person.

We as humans are the most disgusting lot as we can justify anything we choose to do if we have the mind set to do so.

13. thehipsterdufus

thehipsterdufus Member

I am a Honkie :)

14. Heat

Well congrats, I guess on your birth right and now if someone chose to post that they were not, I would hope you would also offer congrats on their ancestory and celebrate, with them, their pride.

15. Heat

I do not think it is a better term to be used, period. It is offensive to say the least as the historical that goes with it makes it not a word only but rather a mind set of those that used it. It is derogatory and not acceptable to me to be used. It is demeaning and has no place in a vocabulary that is without slur against any other.

16. velvet

velvet Banned

Oh my.. who's this 'heat' person? Never seen him before...

I get called 'bakra' often, a Surinam (south american) words for silly white people.. hehe.. but my boyfriend says it so that's ok *grin*

17. velvet

velvet Banned

Yeah.. same here.. weird how that works eh? ;)

18. tigerlily

tigerlily proud mama

well... i had an incredibly long very thoughtful post written and for some reason it got erased when i hit submit reply... maybe my comp doesn't like my thoughts... hmmm... :rolleyes: aaaanyway... shit, i don't want to repeat myself right now so i'll come back later with everything i had to say grrrrrr :$

19. tigerlily

tigerlily proud mama

i would like to say i think it's funny that ppl are saying "engine" like they're car parts.. it's actually spelled "injun" or at least that's how i've read it in old books.. mark twain, etc...

20. Epiphany

Epiphany Copacetic

Look here, I am not white. I have a peach colored pigmentation. Please refer to me as peachy from now on ;) ... alright, enough playing around.

I do find the term, "colored folks", to be midly amusing. We all possess a color.