Yopo the right way?

Discussion in 'DMT' started by PhilosopherStoned18, Jul 27, 2007.

1. PhilosopherStoned18

PhilosopherStoned18 Member

Hey all. Just ordered some Anadenanthera colubrina seeds (yopo). Pretty much all the reports I've read talk about pain, pain, pain and puking and pain and sweating and then a trip.

I've read reports of cutting the ground seeds with baking soda and lime and while some reports seem that yopo can be rewarding the price, in terms of discomfort seem pretty high.

The trip sounds like a hybrid between smoking DMT and drinking Ayahuasca but lasts about 2 hours tops.

So while doing my research I took Yopo to Wikipedia. Not sure how many of you are using Wikipedia as a reasource for drug / plant research information but wow!

Here's what I found and plan to try when the seeds arrive. I was wondering a few things. Anyone else tried this method of preperation? And in general, for those of you who have cut your yopo with lime how much did you cut it with and what was the overall effect?

Okay, here's the Wikipedia entry for Ethnogenic Uses...

To make the psychedelic snuff called Vilca (sometimes called cebil), the black beans from the seed pods of these trees are first toasted until the beans pop like popcorn breaking the bean's husk. The roasting process facilitates removal of the husk and makes the beans easier to grind into a powder. The bean's husk is usually removed because it is difficult to powderise. The bean is then ground with a mortar and pestle into a powder and mixed with a natural form of calcium hydroxide (lime) or calcium oxide (from certain types of ashes, calcined shells, etc.). This mix is then moistened to a consistency similar to bread dough, using a small amount of water. If calcium oxide is used, the water will react with it to form calcium hydroxide. Once moistened, it is kneaded into a ball for several minutes so that all the bufotenin comes into contact with the calcium hydroxide and reacts with it to form calcium bufotenate (5-CaO-DMT). The calcium hydroxide also reacts with any DMT and 5-MeO-DMT present to form free-base DMT and free-base 5-MeO-DMT. After kneading, it is then left to sit for several hours to several days, depending on the local customs. During this period most of the excess calcium hydroxide reacts with the carbon dioxide in the air to form calcium carbonate. Calcium hydroxide is caustic in the presence of water, and is very irritating to the nasal passages, so it is desirable to allow any left over calcium hydroxide to convert to calcium carbonate. It is then thoroughly dried and ready for use. The more modern non-traditional use of baking soda or ammonia as a substitute for calcium hydroxide has been used with limited success. A nearly identical, more potent snuff called Yopo, can be prepared from the related Anadenanthera peregrina.
    The main active constituent of Vilca is calcium bufotenate (created from the bufotenin present in the seeds, by mixing the seeds with water and calcium hydroxide); to a much lesser degree DMT and 5-MeO-DMT are also present. As calcium bufotenate is quickly metabolized, the effects of the drug are short-acting. Usage and preparation of vilca is almost identical to that of yopo. Even as recently as 1996 there have been reports of active use of Vilca by Wichi shamans, under the name hatáj [Ott 2001, p.90].[12] It is also believed that the seeds were consumed orally by the Incas.[specify]

Pretty comprehensive, you guys think this is worth a go?

2. Sensei

Sensei Senior Member

My friends and I just smoke the seeds

3. templeton

templeton Member

So how do you smoke the seeds, Sensei?

Do you use a bowl? and do you smoke them just as they arrive in the mail or do you treat them any other way?

4. Sensei

Sensei Senior Member

cut them up (more surface area to burn better), place in pipe bowl, smoke with lighter.

5. uplink

uplink Member

snorting them sounds painful... but you could do it, there is plenty of info on erowid about it. The trip length sounds ideal.

i'd try smoking them first either way, just to get introduced to dimitry. I have a hard time tripping hard on yopo, but you may not so try and smoke small at first.

edit: if you want to smoke them you have to peel the shells off first (you can soak them in water and peel, or do something weird with a frying pan so they pop) then you take the little white discs and chop them up and smoke them.

6. doom876

doom876 Member

Just because wiki sounds smart and has alot of stuff on a subject, doesn't mean it's a good source. Get a book or something. This isn't stuff you can just trust wiki to give you info on, it's pschadelics, not some school report...but whatever. Be careful.

7. thetrippyhippy

thetrippyhippy Member

8. Roark

Roark Member

I really want to experience a true dmt trip. If i get the yopo seeds and smoke them will i have a true dmt trip? I want the real deal, with aliens and all that craziness or would it be less than that? I don't want to buy them smoke them and realize i just blew a ton of cash.

9. jbmac

jbmac Member

Everything I read says that yopo seed smoking is very painful, with pleasure to follow.
    Doesn't sound fun to me.

10. GanjaGuru

GanjaGuru Member

If you got the same effects from smoking yopo seeds that you do from dmt crystal I think a lot more people would be smoking yopo and the tribes would smoke it too instead of making snuffs

11. doom876

doom876 Member

Heard snuffs are pretty strong, but I also heard it's like inhailing fire. Doesn't drinking milk before smoking help cat your throat, Just an idea, if anyone trys it. Good luck.

12. SQUIDPUPPY

SQUIDPUPPY Member

Bufo-Carbonate is the only way to go to get around the pain/toxic side effects etc..... Also, please people, remember that Yopo has only trace, very minute amounts of DMT & 5-MEO-DMT in those seeds!!!!! What you are experiencing from Yopo is the effects of BUFOTENINE,,,,,, got it?????------ Squid

13. YoungHip11011

YoungHip11011 Member

wtf is Bufo-Carbonate? It sounds yummie :D

14. SQUIDPUPPY

SQUIDPUPPY Member

It's been reported in both scientific papers as well as common net drug forums that most of the pain/fire/anguish/body flushing/red face etc that people report when doing Yopo snuff is because of improperly prepared snuff mixture.... Conversion to bufo carbonate solves the problem.............