yet another piercing question..

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by nightmarehippygirl, May 26, 2004.

1. nightmarehippygirl

nightmarehippygirl LEVI'S MOMMY

it doesn't hurt too bad, when you get your navel pierced, but it hurts a hell of a lot when the put the clamp on, prior to piercing it. i would say that it is a difficult piercing to care for, i am constantly reinjuring mine, and i guess i've had it about 2 years. i hurt it the other day, and it started bleeding again. if i had know what a pain in the ass it was going to be, i'm not sure i would have done it, but now that i have it, i am determined to keep it. besides, it covers up the surgical scar in my belly button...

2. velvet

velvet Banned

ehm.. quick question from a non-native english speaker: what is the cartilage? Is it the top part of your ear or sth?

Just curious because so many people seem to have painful experience with it.. so did I btw.. it hurted way more than my tonguepiercing and I had to take it out eventually.. the scar still hurts a but when the weather changes suddenly. I think it was malpractise though (they did it with the kind of shotgun they also use to pierce earlobes). Having my tonguepiercing for over 4 years now and still love it!

3. mellimel19

mellimel19 Member

Yes, the cartilage is the top of the ear.
    And you're right, I think a lot of the problems with this piercing have to do with the fact that they use those guns instead of just a needle. I'm just thankful that I've had no problems with mine.

4. mama jade

mama jade Member

all right i've got 13 tattoos and 10 piercings so i know a little bit about this stuff. the bump you're talking about is a keloid (i'm not sure if that's spelled right). you should only be washing your piercing once a day with provon medicated lotion soap. then you should be doing salt water soaks to the piercing as many times a day as you can fit in. what i mean by that is take a pinch of sea salt and put it in warm water, dip cotton balls in it and put it on each side of the piercing (for about 2 minutes)......this is what keeps the piercing sterile and keeps the crusty stuff off. As for the bump you should get some vitamin E oil (it's really cheap) and put it on the bump 3 to 4 times a day and eventually it will go away. if it doesn't go away with doing that go see a piercer at a shop. whatever you do don't take the jewelry out that will just trap the infection and make it worse. if you have any other questions let me know.............i can pretty much answer anything.

oh, and never get pierced by a gun......it can leave permanent scarring, and the people that pierce with guns are not trained piercers!

5. stormyy

stormyy Member

NEVER GET PIERCED WITH A GUN!!!!!!!

1. Piercing guns cannot be completely sterilized....its impossible.
    2. The mall is not exactly a sterile/sanitary environment...at all.
    3. The girl at Claires is not in any way a true piercer-she is some high school kid working at the mall for minimum wage-she doesn't care if your piercing sucks.
    4. The stud that is going through your skin is not very sharp, so it is essentially ripping through each layer of your skin. A needle (found at reputable piercing studios) is making a clean slice through the skin/cartilage/whatever-thus making it MUCH easier to heal.
    5. The extra few dollars you spen on a good piercing at a good shop is still gonna be waaay cheaper than having a keloid/infection/hepatitis outbreak taken care of at the doctors office.

6. velvet

velvet Banned

Yeah.. so so true.. if only I had known back then..

So.. listen up youngsters who are thinking about getting some kind of piercing: more expensive is often indeed better service/quality! Don't go to cheap shops in the mall, go to an experience piercer, even if it's 'just' for a ring in your ear or something. It'll cost you more money, but it's the best chance on doing it right!

;)

7. Random_Zephyr

Random_Zephyr Lifer

I have an industrial bar in my left ear, and i think i have keloids on it... it was done with a needle though. i guess i havent been taking very good care of it anyway... i think i will try the Vitamen E oil thing... i really hope it works.

oh, and about the tragus thing, it didnt hurt me at all when i got mine done. it just felt like pressure, nothing sharp. i couldnt sleep on it for about a week, however. but it is by far the most healthy piercing i have ever gotten. i love it!

My cartilage piercing didnt really bother me. it didnt hurt when i got it done (by a gun too) and i can sleep on it fine. after maybe 7 weeks, i took it out and put a 16g ring in, and it was still fine. after having that for a few weeks, i took it out and shoved a 14g ring through it. it was thrilling!:) and it's healthier than ever.

I would still like help with the keloids on my industrial bar though:confused: , if anyone can help. i am off to check out BME now for some tips.
    bye!
    love,
    Courtney!

8. bjorky

bjorky Member

9. LullabySam

LullabySam Member

that happened to me when i had my nose pierced because i kept knocking it so i stopped that and cleaned it twice a day to make sure it was fine and a few weeks later it had gone. i havent got my nose pierced no more now i had to keep taking it out for school. good luck with it!!!

10. sweetdreadlover

sweetdreadlover TattooedRainbowGurl

might of been me who u remembered:)....the raised area is most likely to be just a bit of shattered cartlilage which is way common for places like the nose or ear...just make sure to take care of it hun and if it gets worse go into your local shop