yes another one of those..

Discussion in 'Amsterdam' started by eos, Feb 15, 2008.

1. eos

eos Member

You guessed right! I am planning to move to Amsterdam =P

Well not really, but Im planning to travel there and if the opportunity arises(meaning if I find a job and cheap place to stay) maybe temporarily move there

Since I am an EU citizen [​IMG](yes drool you nonEUers muahahaha) I can stay there for as long as I like.

My question is would a guy like me (havent finished university yet, no real job experiences but speaking 4 languages but not dutch yet) be able to find a job in amsterdam?

also it doesnt HAVE to be Amsterdam. I could settle with another netherlands city as long as theres plenty of weed and shrooms and stuff to go around. do you think itll be easier to find a job in the dam or in another city?

2. irish dara

irish dara Member

hey , just arrived home from amsterdam an hour ago and just like yourself i taught id get away with just moving over and i thought id find a job easy but i ran out of money the first day i arrived , booked a flight home the 2nd day i stayed for 4 days altogether ,[ and i only spent €22 on smoke)some plan but hey ya live and learn , dont move over ther unless youve got a few thousand with you .........seriuosly

3. eos

eos Member

yeah I told you in another thread I thought 1 g was not enough to move

I got 3(hopefully 4) and its my lifes savings..

we will see how it works out .

anyway Ill go for a week or two and see how it works out.

either way a lot of fun will be involved so its worth it.

4. lmao

lmao Member

a few thousand will get you by for a little (a really little) while. If you stay in a hostel and eat cheaply, you can hang for a minute. But, lol, with the exchange rate as piss poor as it is, we're all screwed.
    edit: 1.00 Euro = 1.47 U.S. Dollars I'm not LMAO

5. smiley420

smiley420 Member

the US dollar is not good.......:(
    and it wont get better any time soon......

6. AcidConspiracy

AcidConspiracy Member

hahaha to yall europeans who bitch about the cost of amsterdam life- I showed up with about 200USD and a backpack. Stayed ten days. Never was hungry, never without smoke, never without a place to sleep. Best story from the trip? smoking DMT with a seed bank owner in his grow facility. I suppose blowing money like a typical american tourist would have been "fun" but I wouldn't trade the friends i made and the stories I now have for ANYTHING. my only regret.... that I didn't stay there as an "illegal immigrant" farmer.

7. rogga

rogga Member

LOL…AcidComspiracy – and a good point made!

Ironically, with the down-turn of the U.S. economy, the dollar is starting to strength against other foreign currencies: The $ currently is 1.46 to the euro; and my guess is that if the U.S. economy continues to tank, which is very likely, and pull the EU down with it, we’ll continue to see an improvement on the dollar’s strength in places like Holland. [I’m by no means advocating this is a good thing; I’m just making an observation.]

8. lmao

lmao Member

I don't understand...

Why would pulling the Euro down (with the USD) make an improvement in places like Holland?

and along those lines: As the USD continues to tank, the Euro is ONLY getting stronger, I see no evidence of the Euro getting weaker....do you??

9. rogga

rogga Member

I know, it’s a weird paradigm. But I monitor the situation closely. Last week, for example, the $ nearly hit 1.45 against the euro. I’m not an economist, but my hunch is that because the tanking of the U.S. economy greatly impacts the global economy; the Almighty Dollar is in essence the stronger currency in such a situation. [But don’t get me wrong, I’m not a flag waiver!]

10. smiley420

smiley420 Member

$1000.00 USD = $678.886 EUR
    1 USD = 0.678886 EUR
    1EUR = 1.47300 USD
    live rates at 2008.02.19 20:48:30 UTC
    xe.com Conversion

11. rogga

rogga Member

Yep, xe.com is what I use too. But again, last week it was
    1EUR = 1.46115. I'm not too concerned about the matter, it is what is, and it will be what ever it is when arrive in the Dam in April. I'm still going to have a blast!

12. smiley420

smiley420 Member

dig it dig it ill b there in march i may have to cut back on a few things like musiums and food and stuff like that....... i cant cut back on my smoking or shrooming :)

13. spleeman

spleeman Member

haha you know !!!

14. Nu-life

Nu-life Member

Dude where did you stay and eat for such a low amount of money. I plan to be there in March 20 -25. Got any connects to the seed farmer? I would appreciate any help.

15. Jimmy P

Jimmy P bastion of awesomeness

see, that's what I'm talkin' about. never been to Amster, but life is fucking cheap anywhere you go if you make it so. sure, you can blow five grand in a week, no problem, but you're wasting money and you look like an asshole. I know a girl who spent AU$4000 in two weeks in fucking Thailand!

you must've done atleast some couchsurfing though, yeah? share your Amsterdam money saving tips, brother :H

16. smiley420

smiley420 Member

$1000 USD = $658.65 EUR
    ouch there goes my canal tour.....