Yerba Mate

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Pressed_Rat, May 30, 2013.

1. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

I do enjoy it but it is not something I have on a regular basis. If I have it often I do find it becomes more astringent to the taste buds and not as enjoyable for some reason.

I like to switch up all herbal blends as well for the same reason.

2. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

I like it, not sure it's any healthier than coffee.

It contains a 'caffeine-like' substance and I like the taste... good enough for me!

3. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

I always find it amusing when you believe random shit about food that are obviously stupid sale talks and how on the other hand you keep telling people that everyone besides you is a sheep and does not think for themselves.

That being said, I will go enhance my focus, aid my digestion and loose some weight drinking a Yerba Mate.

4. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

I wish I could get my hands on some coca leaves over here in the Netherlands, but they are illegal to bring into the country. I loved chewing them when I was in South America.
    Sometimes you can find some coca tea, but that's not nearly the same as chewing whole leaves with some lejia. Love the energy and the mouth numbing it gives.

5. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Caffeine and taurine pills are my alternative to coffee.

6. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

Coffee is my alternative to cocaine.

7. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Nice :sunny:

8. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

It's cheaper for sure, but sometimes coffee gives me a headache. Wonder if I should inject it directly in my veins instead of snorting.

9. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

made me chuckle, lol.

i used to have a buddy who drank this stuff, but he became such an annoying hipster type that i just kind of wrote it off.

10. lively_girl

lively_girl Member

bird_migration:

Mate contains caffeine and caffeine like substances, so it can be an alternative for coffee. It's a stimulant for central nervous system but perhaps a better description to 'enhances focus' wold be that it 'wakes you up'.

Coffee is acidic, which is why drinking it on an empty stomach (e.g. fasting) isn't the best idea. I don't know the pH of mate, but from my experience drinking coffee without eating something first doesn't make me feel too good, while I have no such problem with mate.

I know that in Argentina people sometimes drink mate instead of having a snack. I don't know of any other effect that mate could have on weight.

Aids digestion: I have no idea about this.
    According to Wikipedia it could go either way:
    - mate relaxes smooth muscle tissue ---> slower digestion
    - it contains Mg -----> aids digestion

11. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

Sometimes? The whole fucking nation seems to be mate-rialised and carry it around everywhere in a bowl.

12. lively_girl

lively_girl Member

Yes, I know that :D

But they don't drink it just because they like it, or are thirsty, or want their ritual break. Sometimes they say: I'm a bit hungry, let's have mate. That seemed really weird to me.

When I'm hungry I don't just drink tea, I go eat something :).

13. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

My husband drinks Yerba mate most days, he orders the loose leaf stuff from Argentina I think. We have the funky straws for it as well. I know it's good for you but it just tastes like cat's pee to me and besides, I love my coffee too much. Rat, are you familiar with bulletproof coffee? That's what I have for breakfast most mornings.

14. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Yes, I sure am familiar with bulletproof coffee. I drink it a few times a week on the mornings of my fasts.

15. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

Yeah, I thought you would be. :D You and my husband should so go on a man date, you have exactly the same interests.

16. acuarela

acuarela Member

Me too! II haven't had the tea, but I figured it wouldn't be the same.

What do they call lejia down there? Lejia to me is bleach.

17. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

What a twat.

Do some research. They're not baseless claims, but have been proven over yerba mate's long history of use.

18. magic_rocks

magic_rocks ٱللهِ ٱلرّ

I'd prefer to drink mushroom tea because every time I do the anger of Montezuma rises up within me and demands revenge. My Aztec brethren thirst for the slaughter of a hundred thousand to appease the gods and I am willing to cooperate.

19. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

do you buy the his actual bulletproof coffee beans, or just make your own with your own coffee? i think the concept has some merit, but i think that his thing about the mold on the coffee is pretty baseless.

20. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

No idea what lejia is translated to really. All I know is that's what the good people of Peru taught me to use, kinda taste like licorice or so. It sure beats using baking soda....