Yayy for today! (Stay off the Sidewalks!)

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by AmericanTerrorist, May 10, 2013.

1. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Went to check the mail around 5 pm and the thing I've been watching and waiting and wishing for was there- my confirmation from penndot that my license has been reinstated.

So, after over two yrs of not driving... I drove tonight. =D (18 months for license supension and 6 months before then because my old car needed something way too expensive done w a head gasket)....

So, fed Cason his dinner quick and then we drove to the park and then the grocery store (I know exciting places) but yeah, it was fun...

Because not only hadn't I driven in two yrs but I've never before driven my current vehicle or any suv or a hybrid. It handles so nice and wasn't weird (because of not driving so long or it being a diff vehicle at all) at all. Just like getting back on a bike. =)

So, that's my good news

2. Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide Sweet and Tender Hooligan

oh no we're all doomed.

3. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

;)

haha yea... im actually a great driver =D but had to make the title like that because the ppl in know in r/l every time id talk about gettin my license back soon it was "oh no, stay off the sidewalks"

anyways, i think i annoyed some guy behind me by going "too slow" ... (i was going about 30 in a 25 zone). but sorry- some other person bein in a hurry isn't worth it to me. apparently when you get your license back you start with 5 points. you can lose 3 points then per yr. but anyone who has more than 5 points loses their license...soo i am NOT speeding or doing anything that could take my license away again. so ppl will just have to deal with me going no more than 5 over.

and it was rad to just drive around here but now i REALLY can't wait to drive up to lake tobias (about an hour away or so) on sunday. get to do some actual driiiving.

4. Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide Sweet and Tender Hooligan

yeah i try to stay within the rules these days because i've gotten pulled over way too many times and almost got a couple dui's, luckily I never got one. These days when people drive fast I let them pass me so THEY can get pulled over by the cops and not me.

5. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

yeh, i used to wonder whether after a lengthy ban you had to do some sort of mini test just to prove you still remembered what all the buttons do :D

then again, i've never learned to drive, so it might as well be a starship console up there, fueled by elf magic. is uppose once youve learned it, it's just like riding a bike.

6. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Yeah, it's just like that. Even with a diff vehicle. I started off kinda cautious... backed outta the spot all slow but once I got going it was just like normal. =)

It's gonna be nice not having to rely on other ppl (mostly hubby) for rides to everywhere I need to go. Very, very nice!

7. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

Congrats on getting some freedom and independence back. :)

8. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

American,

You are aware that I-81 is closed at the Wade bridge in Harrisburg due to a tanker truck fire?

You can access 322/22 north from I-81 coming from the north before you cross the Susquehanna, but you can't cross the Susquehanna via I-81 in either direction. If you are coming from the south via I-81 from Carlisle you will have to go up the west side of the Sus. on 11/15 and cross at Duncannon, or take 581 south off of 81 to 83 east, cross the river, then proceed on 83 north to 81 south then hit 322/22. Or go through Harrisburg on the Harvey Taylor bridge. Then hit 22 north through town. If you are coming north on 83 you should be okay on the way up, but have to detour on the way south.

This happened two days ago I think, the fire melted three overpasses across I-81 and they need to be rebuilt so they are not allowing traffic under them until they get them stabilized.

Also the PA turnpike is free from Carlisle to Harrisburg east exit, so you can use that.

Go to this site for an explanation and detour map.

9. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Thank you, Heat... I was driving today and actually got to take the vehicle more than 45 mph and was just thinking "ahhh I'm living again and feel like an ADULT again" (not that I didn't handle not driving well but it was a totally awesome feeling)

Meagain- No, I did not know that... thank you for letting me know!! I'm so glad I found out now and not have that annoyance tomorrow and not knowing where to go and all. I will write all that down!

10. skitzo child

skitzo child PEACEFUL LIBRA

11. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Fuck those people.

Drive whatever speed you want, if it's legal they can suck it up.

I resent people trying to get me to fuck up my (perfect) driving record, because they want to watch TV 30 seconds sooner. Fuck them.

Do the world a favor: when some asshole tailgates you, give them a second to back off, and then pointedly slow down. if that doesn't make them back off in a few seconds, do it again. If we've got to go 5mph for them to follow me at a respectful safe distance, we will, and they'll be a lot later to their TV :2thumbsup:

12. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Hahaha :rofl:

yea... i love doing that to the jerks who tailgate (when you're going at least the freaking speed limit anyways!) to the point of swerving their car back and forth and stuff and acting fucking insane. I prolly wouldn't do that w my 2 yr old in the car with me (never know what crazy drivers will do), but just me in the car? Yep. :)

13. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

Congratulations on getting your license back.

14. Justin_Hale

Justin_Hale ( •_•)⌐■-■ ...(⌐■_■)

Yesterday I was on my way home from the store (in no hurry, just enjoying the drive). I turned a corner into a residential neighborhood (shortcut home) and changed radio stations.

I looked into my rear view mirror just then and saw a pair of sunglasses resting on my tailgate. As soon as I realised it was a guy in a car wearing those sunglasses I hit the gas.

The front of the guys car must have been under my truck, he was tailgating me so close. It freaked me out, lol, I thought he was about to ram me or something.

I was going too slow, but damn, my hat's off to that guy for making me speed up instead of hitting my breaks, like I usually do for tailgaters.

Grand Tailgating Prize to that guy for mushing a guy (with anger management issues) in a truck that weighed 3 times what his car did.

@American, congrat's. :2thumbsup:

Keep your head on a swivel. Things happen fast on the road sometimes.

15. cynthy160

cynthy160 Senior Member

If people are being warned to stay off the sidewalks, your driving must be atrocious!

You and Pressed Rat are deserving recipients of the Cheech & Chong Driving Pair of the Year award. Sometimes you two seem like twins. :p

Just kidding. Congrats on regaining driving privileges.[​IMG]

16. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

The ppl who made that comment actually never saw my driving and didn't know me before I lost my license.

Anyways...

thanks for the congrats everyone! Got to drive up to lake tobias w hubby and son today (had a great mothers day!). Was a wonderful drive...really beautiful driving up and down this great mountain and stuff (even got to see a waterfall on the way). Anyways really enjoyed the whole day. :)

17. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I saw that waterfall yesterday AT. Pretty cool.

We hiked out onto one of those ridges one winter to look over the river and we could see this Ford Bronco sitting out in the middle of the water. The idiot tried to drive across the ice and broke through. Sat there for months till someone figured how to get it out. (The river is about a mile wide at that point.)

18. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Awesome... Yea, I was like "a waterfall!!"... we stopped to look at it. :)

And wow, haha. Yea, ppl. are just brilliant. :rolleyes:

19. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

I have a driving lesson on Friday. Wish me luck, too!!!

20. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Awesome! Good luck!! :)