yay rain!!!

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by nakedtreehugger, Feb 14, 2009.

1. nakedtreehugger

nakedtreehugger craaaaaazy

we need it SO badly. we're getting into a severe drought situation around here, because it hasn't hardly rained this winter, and apparently was pretty dry last winter too.

[​IMG]

this lake is supposed to have water OVER the dock by this time of the year, with winter rains.

[​IMG]

this is the river near where i live right now, only this picture was taken last year. it's not uncommon for the water to get up almost to the bridge when it floods. but this was after a big storm last year, and it didn't even flood. now this is what it looks like this year. :(

[​IMG]

2. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

3. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The north end of Lake Shasta is dry and the island is no longer an island.Some lakes in Cal are only 8% full.The west side farmers have been told they'll get NO water this year and 2 or 3 hundred thousand acres have been retired.Bad news for the so-called bread basket of the world.I knew it was raining down there---someone called me to fix a roof leak.

4. Boogabaah

Boogabaah I am not here

lake oroville was at 26%!!! thats just nuts! i think it's at 50% plus now... we're supposed to get a big storm tonight.. i hope so... i love the sound and smell of rain.

5. nakedtreehugger

nakedtreehugger craaaaaazy

i know, the situation is getting REALLY bad. it's absolutely horrible how dry everything is. if it doesn't rain a hell of a lot more we'll end up with the whole damn state on fire this summer. :(

it's been raining off and on the past week or 2, so hopefully it keeps this up for the next few months.

scratcho... you're so right. i've already seen a pretty sharp spike in the price of produce here. i can only imagine what it's like in other states. the economy of the state is going to get even worse if the agriculture tanks like that.

6. deadguy

deadguy Member

That's scary! I hope things improve nakedtreehugger, in your area and elsewhere.

7. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Boog---I love the sound of rain too,but the sound of a whining roof owner ---not so much.Many farmers are not planting row crops any more.They're switching to orchards of varying kinds 'cuz they can use drip irrigation instead of flooding hundreds and hundreds of acres like with cotton or alfalfa.Hell,it's always been a desert there.Maybe we were just lucky the last 150 years.Although I almost forgot--the biggest lake west of the Mississipi was from highway 5 on the west side and would come clear to my home town of Lemoore in the wettest of years.Farmers dried it up and it's now farmed.