Y2K 2.0

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Vanilla Gorilla, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Lulz. Probably read the same thing yesterday.

A whole bunch of "could" written in there.

3. Flashdown

Flashdown Members

I can understand that there might be some tech issues when the poles flip, but why would flushing the toilet become impossible?

GeorgeJetStoned likes this.
  4. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I don't think I believe that just based on the article title. It seems like you would see something that dramatic reported by plenty more agencies. Do you think it's reputable? :)

Here is a link that discusses greenhouse gases. Overview of Greenhouse Gases | US EPA

Eric! likes this.
  5. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Yeah, I saw something about that yesterday. My attitude on these things are either they're going to happen and end life as we know it or they're not. Nothing I do can influence or change that, so, like, whatever.

Eric! likes this.
  6. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Yes, but the part that annoyed me is they tried to include climate change, how dumb do they think we are.

Also 780,000 years overdue, maybe another 100, 000 years, i think we will work out how to get to another planet by then

7. Noserider

The article I read didn't mention climate change at all. Your source must have an agenda.

Use some potential catastrophe that could happen hundreds of thousands of years in the future to convince us to carpool now.

farmerdon likes this.
  8. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

If that was to actually happen, it would be a way for the planet to reset itself, and start all over again. As I said before in another thread, this planet will take care of itself, long after we are gone, and there's nothing we (man) can to to destroy it.

farmerdon and GLENGLEN like this.
  9. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Nature is already fighting back. They call them forest fires. Air rich in oxygen can be the trigger, enhancing the lightning that causes them.
    The older that I get, the more that I feel that 'climate change' experts are idiots.
    This planet is enclosed in its atmosphere, so adding heat is very dangerous. At the moment, nuclear power stations are adding tens of thousands of megawatts every hour and no one has carried out any serious studies. Most of the heat stabilizes my melting the ice caps, where 540 calories of latent heat do not raise the temperature. As they diminish, this planet could suffer catastrophic consequences.

skip and David0301 like this.
  10. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

So now I'm fighting nature when flipping my pole??

GeorgeJetStoned likes this.
  11. soulcompromise

The Environmental Protection Agency says different. Climate change is a reality and impacts the whole world. Please use this link to further your understanding of Climate Change. International Climate Impacts | Climate Change Impacts | US EPA This data is from the Environmental Protection Agency; a reputable source that uses scientific data to present the facts of climate change in an understandable manner.

Basically if we do nothing we're on a pathway to an uninhabitable world. Hybrid vehicles and tighter federal (as opposed to state) regulations are a beginning. There are states in the U.S.A. that make more greenhouse gases on average than entire countries! That's a lot. I don't know that much about it yet but I'm currently taking a course in Environment and Natural Resource Management. The book is called "Environmental Policy: Ninth Edition", and has the most up to date statistical data and policy information from the Obama Presidency through I think about 2015 (so it's the newest one).

It's complicated at any level to get policy adjusted. There are some organizations that help, but I'll leave it at that for the sake of staying on topic. I see a lopsided representation, and it saddens me to see that so many people on this site are willing to ignore.

skip likes this.
  12. Noserider

Climate change is real. And it's natural. The earth has been both an uninhabitable oven and covered completely in snow and ice. There is nothing we can do to stop it. I say we just enjoy the ride until it's all over.

GLENGLEN and Eric! like this.
  13. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

We can't stop natural climate changes, but we can make an effort not to add to it, or accellerate it to such extent it becomes at least partially caused by us humans and has unneccesary consequences we could have prevented, but we didn't because too many people decided to just enjoy the ride until the end.

14. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

We are on a pathway to an uninhabitable world?

Ok, so how many tonnes of greenhouse gases per person on the planet per year do we need to get back to in order to reverse "it".

Simple question.

In your words:

"Environmental Protection Agency; a reputable source that uses scientific data to present the facts of climate change in an understandable manner. "

So they should easily be able to tell you right?

15. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

You Needed To Stop Anyway......You Were Going Blind Young Man....LOL....:laughing:

Cheers Glen.

16. soulcompromise

It doesn't talk about how many tonnes, but I think we all know that driving less, using alternate means of transportation etc. help reduce our "carbon footprint". Over time the stuff we put in the atmosphere contributes to something called Global Warming. In some areas warming does different things than in others. Some things that could happen include scarcity of food or water quality issues.

Do you think that the issues South Africa is having with water are due to climate change? I don't know because I haven't read about it.

17. Kerri

Kerri Members

Why this is so hard for some people to accept I’ll never understand. The entirety of the science is carbon traps heat. It basically boils down to ‘pollution is bad’

I really don’t care that god promised Noah that there wouldn’t be another flood in some fairy tale

skip and Tyrsonswood like this.
  18. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

"I think we all know that driving less, using alternate means of transportation etc."

Ok then, drive how much less?

19. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

This episode of NOVA on PBS is very in-depth

20. David0301

David0301 Members

great quote, i also see it that way

21. soulcompromise

I don't know, but one example from my life is yesterday I had to kill some time while the plumber was fixing something and I went instead of 18 miles (not counting the way back) to the mall in an adjacent city, I went only 15 to the Salvation Army Thrift Store. Little things can add up to big things.

Now, I could have just stayed home and that would be an even better example, but I don't think people should stay home because they're afraid they'll ruin the environment. Do you see what I mean?

22. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Do I see what you mean?

No man, arguments like these dont make any logical sense.

There are probably about 1.5 billion motor vehicles on the planet now. 7.6 Billion humans. Which means probably at least half those humans didnt go anywhere near a motor vehicle the same day you are talking about one trip being 20% shorter than the other, both trips frivilous in the grand scheme of things, and you were probably in the car by yourself

I'm not saying give up car travel, because the earth isnt even actually warming.

But you are kidding yourself if by going to the salvos instead of the mall you think you are doing your part compared to most of everyone else on the planet.

You dont think its strange the EPA cant tell you what you need to do? Even a ballpark figure?

Its not because they dont know, its easy. If you believe man made greenhouse gases are responsible for global warming. Then go back to a time before man made greenhouse gas emissions, work out what greenhouse gas emissions were, then divide by current number of humans.

The answer at the moment is first worlders would have to give up 97% of everything they do.

If someone from the U.S. EPA said that publically they would be out of job pretty quickly.

Cue someone else to chime in and say, oh no, we dont need to go back to the middle ages, yeah we fuckun do if we want 7.6 bilion people to output the same amount as 0.6 billion people pre industrial revolution

machinist and GeorgeJetStoned like this.