Xanax for panic attacks...

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by Apples+Oranjes, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

I know how that goes....

Blah.

2. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

Lexapro does and that is an antidepressant.

3. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

btw, i took something weaker then xanax for my panic attacks for a short period of time.. something that is still in the same catagory as xanax... it started with an "a"...
    still works but makes you less tired and less chance of being additive. cant remember what it was though. :(

4. hiro

hiro pursue it

Some do actually. If you are on both though they tend to make you less lazy, thats all I was asking her. If she is on them, don't assume buddy.

5. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

Some anti-depressents DO help anxiety and panic..... Paxil is one, as well.

6. lynsey

lynsey Banned

be careful I was highly addicted to lorazepam (generic for ativan). I was taking about 20 mg's a day (was supossed to be taking .5 mg's a day) I would love to eat a few and have a drink the high was the best I ever felt. I was very social, I haven't told anyone about this. I just got off of them last week actually. I was addicted to them for a little over a month until I found myself sleeping in the back of my car and did not know how I got there.

I take xanax now and am addicted to those as well but not as bad.
    I used to have a valium addicted as well.
    I like benzos but ativan (lorazepam) is the MOST addictive of all of them so be careful

7. lynsey

lynsey Banned

ativan, less potent but more addictive-for me anyway

8. lynsey

lynsey Banned

Lexapro is not approved for anxiety only as an anti-depressant. I was misperscribed it for my anxiety by my GP and had never had depresion in my life. My psych took me off of it and I have never felt better.

9. fulmah

fulmah Chaser of Muses

Lexapro is approved by the FDA to treat major depression, depression with anxiety, or generalized anxiety disorder.

10. Kendi

Kendi Member

I had the worst experience of my life with Xanax addiction. I was prescribed it for panic attacks but I was reluctant at first. I would only take one every now and then when I needed it. 2 years later my life was a 24 hour panic attack. Then I had to take more and more. I ended up in rehab it was the worst withdraw I've ever expeience in my life. It took about a month just to be able to not feel like I was dying or that I was permantly fucked for life. It was so bad they almost had to kick me out of rehab and into a psych ward because I wasn't able to participate.

One day I woke up and I felt better, and I stayed better the whole day long. All I can say is Don't Take It! Someone said Benzos leave you more fucked up then when you started, that is the truth. And I've heard good things about Lexapro ellimnating panic attacks as someone else said. Anyway, good luck.

11. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

Kendi, thanks, and sorry to hear about your experience, however I don't even plan on taking Xanax period unless it's an extreme day.

I'm going to therapy, and it's already helping a lot. I don't think I'll even need to try the Xanax, but it's something I was up to try if I absolutely needed to in that grey period before I really started weekly therapy.

Right now, I'm going to start using light therapy [I have seasonal anxiety disorder terribly], learn more breathing, mindfulness, and meditation. Along with decrease in caffeine consumption, relaxation teas [those help me a LOT], and softening my environment. [I have a ticking clock now, by my bed to sort of drown out other noises that keep me up at night, take smoother roads because bumpy roads freak me out, wear softer clothes, get new linens and mattress pads, etc.]

:) I think everything will be just fine.

And I'm NOT worried about an addiction, as I don't really ever plan on using them unless it's severely interfering with my daily responsibilities or something. And I STRESS the word severely.

Also ----and if years to come, I'm out of therapy and I start getting the attacks again and what not, I'll return to therapy if I must, rather than turn to something like Xanax.

12. Night_Owl49

Night_Owl49 Since 2006

Xanax made me feel very hypnotic and carefree.

Can't say I didn't like it...

13. lynsey

lynsey Banned

I use light therapy too and I love it I use a level 5 bed that has all the same rays as the sun for 15 minutes at least 4 times a week and on the plus side I went from being pale as fuck to the tannest I've been since I was a kid (which is still prtty light bet I cant see the veins in my boobs anymore yay!)

14. lynsey

lynsey Banned

not it is not. it is approved to treat depression and depressionw ith anxiety. I did not have any depressiion so it zonked me out and made me fat and lethargic and like i could not give a shit about naything or anyone or even my self. i would never get manicures or my hair done or wear anything cute at all it was horrible for me had no motivation for anything and no sex drive at all. I had to fake it

15. fulmah

fulmah Chaser of Muses

read the fda pamflet for yourself: http://www.biopsychiatry.com/citalopram/escitalopram-lexapro.pdf

lexapro is most definitely approved for generalized anxiety disorder. however, just because it works in a significant amount of people doesn't mean it's going to work for everyone.