Xanax for panic attacks...

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by Apples+Oranjes, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

Has anyone tried it?

I got it for my panic attacks, because I get very frequent, very BAD attacks...however, I only agreed to try the medicine because the panic attacks were getting to the point where I couldn't function sometimes.

But, now I hear, that this medicine can possibly just knock you out. I don't want that either!!! I want to be able to drive, and FUNCTION without a panic attack.

So, has anyone tried medicine like Xanax, or... anything LIKE xanax? Did it make you fall asleep or could you still carry on and function just fine??

I'm just getting so sick of dealing with it altogether. And I'm in therapy, but I really don't know if I can afford to be patient and wait til it starts REALLY impacting my anxiety.... I'm screwing up at work and everything. ahhhh!

2. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

when i was having a FULL BLOWN, large scale panic attack i went to the hospital and the doctors shot me up with something stronger then xanax (i forget the name)... but they had to give me four injections before my heart rate even settled down to normal. they told me that was uncommon though.

for your regular, run of the mill panic attack- as long as it really is an ATTACK and not just anxiety- a xanax isnt going to knock you out. if you take it when you're not having a panic attack but just some mild anxiety, who knows?- it wouldnt knock ME out but everyone is different...

i was presribed and took some narcotic anxiety pills for a short period of time before and that is fine- if you cant deal and function with your panic attacks, that is understandable. ive been there and it sucks. however, i want to point out that you really should only be taking them for a couple of weeks while you are looking for other ways to dealing with your anxiety/panic attacks... there are many ways- from sorting out the underlying issues (yes, it can be done... even if you dont know what the "issue" is), to herbal supplements, to diet, to excercise, meditation, etc.

3. Xac

Xac Visitor

Yes, i still take Xanax but not often, i find that they do make you feel a bit sleepy but you still feel motivated to do things, personally they really helped me but it is also important not to totally rely on them.

They basically give you a break from the adrenaline which is really useful and although i was taking them alot, i barely do anymore, however i had a panic attack last week the night before school and it helped alot.

Just see how they affect you and always remember it is a medication for a specific purpose and to respect that and not abuse them because Xanax can be addictive and the more you use them the less affective they are/ more side affects.

Wanna know why i spell my name Xac here instead of Zac? :D

4. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

oh geez..... :)

5. spooner

spooner is done.

I wouldn't bother. Benzos have a bad habit of leaving people more fucked up than when they started taking them.

6. La Dulce Vita

La Dulce Vita Banned

JUST wondering is XANAX ok for treating stress?.

7. hiro

hiro pursue it

Xanax is not for stress relieft, no pill can truely remove stress. Pills can lessen stress though. Xanax is HIGHLY addictive, so be careful. If you are having severe panic attacks make sure you aren't just popping a pill here or there. Take it as prescribed and if you think you need a higher dose, let your doctor know. Are you on anti-depressants?

8. La Dulce Vita

La Dulce Vita Banned

no . but the stress level is so high is actually killing me.

Dude111 likes this.
  9. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

Thanks everyone....

I don't plan on taking them often, so no worries--- I hate medication altogether. I don't want to be on anything, and this is only temporary for when I have full blown, intense attacks, that I can't get out of myself. Most of the time I can do the breathing, and calm MYSELF down, but not always, and when I can't it gets really scary, and then I usually end up having multiple attacks later on.

If I'm at work, or driving, I'm not going to try the pill then, but if I happen to have a panic attack while I'm at home and the like, I'm going to try it then, and see how it affects me...if it makes me tired or not.

I just started therapy, so I don't expect to be on these long, if at all. Who knows, maybe I won't need them at all...

But yeah, to the first reply, I've never been to the hospital for an attack, although there were a few times I was tempted to go, because it was persisting, and fucking me up beyond belief. That's why I agreed to have this medicine handy...so that I don't have to ruin a whole day having panic attacks.

10. RELAYER

RELAYER mādhyamaka

They work for me and my girlfriend, although they do sometimes make me really lazy ;)

11. spooner

spooner is done.

Anti-Depressants do not treat anxiety in any way shape or form.

12. spooner

spooner is done.

A. Make sure you see a clinical psychologist/psychiatrist rather than a "therapist" (which requires no licensing/training). When choosing one, make sure you actually check their degrees as well their insurance (up to date? coverage up to at least one million?)

B. If you aren't seeing any improvement within the first couple weeks, you are at an unskilled psychologist. If he tells you "you have to get better before you get worse" he is wrong, leave immediately. After about 8 weeks, improvement tends to plateau - you shouldn't have to see him for an excessively long amount of time.

13. La Dulce Vita

La Dulce Vita Banned

is Lorazepam ok as a Xanax temp drug for similar problems?

14. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

She's a liscensed psychologist, has a PhD. :)

And I am noticing a bit of a change ALREADY. I feel like I understand my panic and anxiety a little better now, so it's not bringing me down quite as much as before.

15. spooner

spooner is done.

They're both benzos. Xanax has relatively unproven antidepressant characteristics as well.

Both are fairly addictive.

16. spooner

spooner is done.

Just making sure. There is a lot of sketch therapy out there.

17. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

I know :) I was careful with choosing though.

18. fulmah

fulmah Chaser of Muses

In my experience, and of the many people I've talked to, Xanax is one of the benzo's more likely to knock you out. The first time I took it I felt like a zombie for an entire weekend, and didn't take it for a long time afterwards. If I know I'm going to be dealing with large amounts of stress, I pay a visit to my doc, and in the rare case that the doc prefers Xanax over Ativan (lorazepam), I'll split the Xanax in half or even into fourths, depending on dosage. Most docs don't seem to mind prescribing Ativan, though, and it seems much milder in comparison.

Unless you mean treating anxiety in a way that I'm not familiar, this isn't true. All sorts of data has been coming out over the last two decades showing exactly how effective antidepressants are at treating anxiety disorders. They might not be used like valium to stop a panic attack in its tracks, but people who consistently suffer from attacks have a significant reduction of them when they're on certain antidepressants. Imipramine is probably the most noted.

http://archpsyc.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/50/11/884
    http://www.cochrane.org/cochrane/revabstr/ab003592.htm

19. onelovemission

onelovemission Member

I took all sorts of shit in the past for panic attacks. ALL OF THEM ARE BAD. I can't stress that enough. They all have massive side effects and cause harm to us mentally, emotionally as well as physically sometimes. The only thing I can truly recommend it meditation, yoga and breathing exercises as well as staying away from any controlled substances and stimulants such as caffiene, nicotine, etc.

20. jahsun

jahsun Member

I have been to the ER and doctors many times for panic attacks that last days even weeks. They continue to prescribe me anti depressents. But I won't take them and the problem continues.