Wwoof

Discussion in 'Communal Living' started by Princess_Rain, May 28, 2004.

1. Princess_Rain

Princess_Rain Member

hey, wasn't sure where to put this post! Thinking of joining WWOOF..(world-wide opportunities on organic farms)...I reckon it'd be a good way to learn and also travel a little at the same time....has anyone done this before? And if so, what did you think of it? Any info would be appreciated!

Many thanks :)

2. mikey

mikey Member

WWOOF also stands for Willing Workers on Organic Farms. Each country has its own separate wwoofing organization, with somewhat different rules. I've been involved with New Zealand WWOOF, and it's an interesting and cheap way to travel the country. For more information, see their website www.wwoof.co.nz

3. whispera

whispera Member

I really wanted to do wwoof this summer (willing workers on organic farms) but apparently you have to be eighteen, however i have heard people from spain who have been wwoofing and they were only sixteen. So do you know if there is any way around the age limit or if the rules are different there?
    Anyway i think it is a fantastic idea if you want to do that, i have met so many people who have told me all about their experiences wwoofing. I think go for it and have fun.
    Claire

4. cobcottage

cobcottage Member

Has anyone else on here done this? I have been thinking about doing it for a while but am not sure if I want to pay the 20$ membership fee unless it is going to be worth it.

:)

5. Therefore...

Therefore... Antidentite

I joined WWOOF a while ago, but I've only been to one place. About a year and a half ago, I lived and worked on a farm in Japan. It was great experience.
    I spent 5 weeks total in Japan, but I stayed at the farm for only 2 weeks. I lived with a young couple (mid 20s) and was the only WWOOF person there at the time. The husband ran a vegetable farm, and I picked and packed vegetables in the morning, then I had the rest of the day off. Sometimes I would go with him when he made deliveries at the farmer's market. The work wasn't bad at all, and was sometimes kind of fun because it was stuff I've never done before. The people I stayed with were cool and the food was great.

If you do decide to work somewhere, then I would advise that you work at a smaller farm, because I've heard that you have to work REALLY hard at the larger places. But, I'm sure it's different for every farm.

If you have any interest in the program and you like to travel, then you should try it out. You won't regret it. Feel free to ask me any specific questions if you want.

6. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian Member

Hi - I've been wwoofing on and off for 3 years now and I recommend it to anyone. The last place I stayed at was in the middle of nowhere in France, no hot water, barely any heating and loads of work but I can't wait to get back again. The people I've met have been so cool that the hardest part is always moving on. Well, usually... sometimes it's a relief to get away, but that's part of the fun!! And, I've learnt some handy stuff about growing, food and spiritually too.

My only tips are to go with an open mind, be willing but be assertive about what you want to do too. Have fun.