WTF: $38,000 for a Purse?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by QueerPoet, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide Sweet and Tender Hooligan

Whether they'll admit it or not people still judge based on appearance and race. Anyone who says otherwise is lying.

2. hillbillyhippy

hillbillyhippy Member

My grandfather is part native american, very tan, brown eyes, his ancestors lived on the reservation. Now when he takes me out to eat in public people judge us, and try to figure out if im adopted or not. lol I've even heard people say

I think this white boys adopted, or that white boy must be adopted

3. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

It's not in the least bit amazing that white people are defensive about being accused of racism, given that the accusations of racism are often a prelude and a pretext for death threats, being prosecuted, fired from your job, harassed, etc. It's essentially the new witch hunt or McCarthyism of our day.

What's amazing to me is how casually black people make accusations of racism, and the extent to which people seem to automatically believe that an accusation of racism is valid simply because it has been made. Maybe I shouldn't be amazed that black people throw out accusations of racism so casually: it's an easy trick to get what ever you want, just throw a few accusations of racism here and there, and watch the white people get out of your way.

Just as an example, on multiple occasions in college, I saw groups of black students cut in front on long lines of students to sign up for classes. Everyone else had to wait 40 minutes or more in line. Why did the black students not have to wait in line? Because they were black. Why did neither the professor or any of the students demand that they wait like anyone else? Because they were black, and if anyone protested, out would come the moaning and the wailing and marches against oppression, and soon after, the death threats and attacks, and no, I'm not fucking kidding either.

So all you need to know is that the store clerk is white and that Oprah is black, and that she accused him of racism. Therefor it is true. This is complete fucking bullshit.

If, as Iamnotaman describes, the clerk just said "that ones too expensive, when you find out the price, I dont want to offend you" that is not a basis for an accusation of racism against the clerk.

http://www.hipforums.com/newforums/showpost.php?p=7738777&postcount=41

A purse that costs $38,000 is objectively too expensive. Only an idiot would pay that much money for a purse. There is no reason to think that the clerk would not say exactly the same thing to a white person, or to any person.

In any interaction between a black person and a white person, is there any case where an accusation of racism would be called unfair or unfounded? Had he sold her a purse for $38k, she might have accused him of racism for having exploited her.

4. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Oprah Knows she is black. Oprah is not stupid, she knows the history of black and white people and the relationships between them. She should know that if she walks into an exclusive store, and she is unknown to the clerk, and asks to see a $38,000 handbag the clerk may assume she can't afford it.

I would not be offended if I was told I couldn't afford it, even if I could, why should she be offended? Because she's black and I'm not?

How many people does she think can afford to spend $38,000 for a purse? Did she stop and think that it might be a very exclusive item that very few people who enter the store can afford?

Why did she assume it was racism? If she was white and was told the same thing would she take offense?

Does anyone know anything about the clerk, other than it was an Italian that didn't speak very good English working in a Swiss store? Did Oprah know anything about the clerk or the store?

Why does everyone assume that the clerk was racist?
    Why did Oprah assume that the clerk was racist?

Oprah blew her cool over a minor incident, she's and adult, a billionaire, and a role model and she made an unfounded claim that this clerk was a racist because she (or he) didn't realize that Oprah belonged to the exclusive group of the super rich in a world of 7 billion people.

Grow up Oprah.
    I hope you didn't cost this person their job.

5. deviate

deviate Senior Member

I judge based on appearance.. but it's not so much race based, it's more trash based.

And to the op, what are you saying? Oprah should distribute her wealth to the unsuccessful and lazy?

6. *MAMA*

*MAMA* Perfectly Imperfect

I'll totally admit I have a thing for some designers. Gucci, Versace, Louis Vuitton to name a few...

38k is extreme, but I don't care what people do with their money. Nor do I hate the wealthy for not sharing. That's their own business/choices.

7. Paulwenz

Paulwenz Banned

Oprah Winfrey is all pissed off because a sales clerk (not in America) told her she could not possibly afford a handbag that cost $38,000."

Pretty disgusting when there is so much poverty in the world.

And it is not the victims fault.

8. deviate

deviate Senior Member

Who's the victim?

You know what they say.. life isn't fair.

All you can do is work hard and hope for the best.

9. Paulwenz

Paulwenz Banned

Disparity of wealth?

Wonder why the poor get cranky when they hear this shit on TV?

10. deviate

deviate Senior Member

Are you European?

11. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Lookin' for a pigeonhole?

12. hillbillyhippy

hillbillyhippy Member

whats a pigeon hole?

13. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

WTF.... What kind of name is 'Oprah'?

14. AquaLight

AquaLight Senior Member

If all women had the amount of money Oprah has, I say most of them would be lining up to buy a purse for 38000 or more. If not a purse, then shoes. If not shoes, then cosmetics..The list goes on :p

15. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Black people.

16. deviate

deviate Senior Member

:rofl:

17. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

WikiP is wonderful!

18. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Admittedly if the white store clerk had sold her the bag she could have cried racism because he/she was trying to take advantage of her perceived lower IQ. This Blaxploitation by whites has been going on for far too long and needs to be eradicated [​IMG]

Hotwater [​IMG]

19. deviate

deviate Senior Member

At least her name isn't some African princess name like Shaneequa or Lashanda.

20. cynthy160

cynthy160 Senior Member

She can go back and buy the purse and then auction it off for a million bucks as the famous purse that she was initially denied, allegedly due to racial bias.