WTF: $38,000 for a Purse?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by QueerPoet, Aug 9, 2013.

1. IamnotaMan

IamnotaMan I am Thor. On sabba-tickle. Still available via us

1st pt is that she didn't have any grounds to call it a race issue. Claiming someone's whiteness was the reason she was "unhappy" in the shop was racism in itself. She should have legal proceedings brought against Winfrey. Then she might keep her moronic mouth shut.

The asst actually said "that ones too expensive, when you find out the price, I dont want to offend you". To me, thats saying "that ones silly, its overpriced, the brand is lending one for display, but its not worth it, these are much better ones". When I sold clothes ( designer stuff) I'd tell people if there was something better that was better value.

So Winfrey is being a shit just tagging onto crap and building up a big drama. Personally, if she was really so serious about appearance, why doesnt the ugly pig go on a fucking diet...!!??

Winfrey is a purveyor of shite. Maybe thats why she creates such a drama about overpriced tripe. To (badly) attempt to cover for the fact she got much too wealthy selling a load of rubbish to a passive audience.

Yuk. Cant stand the woman.

2. QueerPoet

QueerPoet Senior Member

Nice summary! :2thumbsup:

QP

3. hillbillyhippy

hillbillyhippy Member

Actually, in school we did budgeting. I chose to go cheaply off-grid based on a how to on a cheap 2000 dollar 340 square foot cabin. I did a budget for land, my vehicle, and the building materials. Factored in the fact that I hunt, and produce most of my own meat, and I had everything I wanted. Because I budgeted I had like 12000 left every year from minimum wage after my initial investment. I know people who go to the movies 3 times a week and wonder why they don't have enough money for rent. I also do a lot of freeganism and upcycling.

I built a budget and if one goes by a budget they can reasonably survive on minimum wage. However this is not to say I support the current minimum wage. This budget was made for my own individual survival. I know that there is not enough resources out there for everyone to live like me. Certainly not enough land, however for those like me with simple needs and wants, it is perfect.

4. QueerPoet

QueerPoet Senior Member

Ummm, I was far from passive. Actually attended (and suggested) program ideas for her show (while it was still just in Chicago). The trouble started when she went national.

Then she let the door slip open to ignorant folks outside the Windy City. :D

QP

5. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I can't understand people like her, she's worth 3 billion dollars.
    If she spent $10,000 a day, it would take her 822 years to spend it all, and that's not counting interest.
    Interest on 3 billion dollars is about $1,125,000 a day.

That's for doing nothing. Over $1 million dollars a day.
    Something's wrong in this world.

Here's one billion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J6BQDKiYyM"]One billion dollars - YouTube

6. hillbillyhippy

hillbillyhippy Member

And one would hardly guess I'm 18. Most people read what I write and guess that I am much older. I don't know whether to take it as a compliment, or be sad that my generation has sunken so low in some areas, in a way though its not doomed, because the degenerates will just fail, they won't be running the country, it will be those who are not the stereotype of those my age who have reached enlightenment to the wrongdoings of the world? possibly?:2thumbsup: Although an entire generation working low wage jobs and high rates of homelessness would probably be a big problem as well. :shrugs:

7. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

I am not a huge Oprah fan.

In 2010 she donated 41 million to charity, 26% of her net income.

I would think that gives her the right to spend the rest on what ever she pleases.

I personally would consider it a waste to spend that on a purse but then again I am not in the income bracket that would allow for that. ;)

8. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

This kind of excess will be looked upon as the ridiculous way in which humans have allowed this world to become. 38,000 for a fuckin rag while millions don't even have clean water to drink?? The world is run incorrectly.

9. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Yeah, this happened in Zurich, it's all over the Swiss media. I have to respect the country that never aired that stupid Oprah show.
    Also, I can understand spending a few hundreds on a purse, but this is just retarded.

10. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

Whilst bemoaning the waste of money on a handmade purse y'all are turning around and praising the purchase of cheap sweatshop labour as being awesome!

Spend a few bucks and support someone that works around you or quit whinging about how others spend their money.

11. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

I think that either Oprah got trolled, she's trolling us, or both.

There was the "over nine thousand" incident on her show. She was obviously sent a troll message by email, and if she had asked around, she would have figured that out. She made it a national issue by broadcasting it on her show.

Now, it could be that Oprah was just dumb, and didn't know it was a troll post. Or it could be that she did know, but it was a great opportunity to generate a lot of drama and attention for her show.

So the purse company sells some piece of crap for $38,000. That gets people to think that it's valuable, and draws attention to their product.

Some people might buy it, just because they want to show everyone how rich that they are. Some people might talk down the price to $10,000, and feel proud of how shrewd they are.

Other people might buy a cheaper product made by the same company, because all the chatter about their $38,000 purse has got them a lot of attention.

Oprah has been able to generate a lot of chatter about her and her show, because she's bitching about someone being racist by thinking that she couldn't afford the purse.

My guess is that Oprah is a smart lady, who is willing to engage in race baiting and trolling to promote her show.

Looks like it's worked too. We've already given her some free advertising here.

12. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Umm no.

13. deleted

deleted Visitor

her money and herself is all imaginary..

if she was successful she wouldnt need to show her face on TV..

I know hundreds of successful black people. she wouldnt be fit to clean their toilets.

14. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

No, that people shouldn't be hypocrites or No that you don't understand the difference between sweat shop vs couture production.

15. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

No to "quit whinging...."
    Sorry, I should have made it more clear.

16. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I don't really understand why a purse would cost $38,000. Is it made from thousands of tiny diamonds?

17. hillbillyhippy

hillbillyhippy Member

So a purse has to cost 38000 dollars to not be made in a sweatshop?

18. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Well at least they apologized [​IMG]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOTI3OOn3t0"]Oprah Winfrey Racism Claims: TV star believes she was victim of racism in Swiss fashion boutique - YouTube

Hotwater

19. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

This has nothing to do with racism. Oprah was pissed because they didn't know who she was.
    I'm sure that if I walked into that store, in all my whiteness, and looking the way I usually do...they would have told me the same thing.

[​IMG]

20. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Amazing how white people are always so defensive when they’ve been accused of racism [​IMG]

Of course Oprah was profiled by the store attendant and shown the door rather than the purse :eek:

The clerk basically fucked up because she forgot the white credo that all racism against black people must be subtle and not overt. That way you don’t draw any undue attention :eek:

Hotwater