Wrongly Imprisoned

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Visexual, Dec 24, 2019.

1. Visexual

Visexual Member

I just read an article about a child opening a box of holiday cards and seeing a message from a person in a China work prison who made them.

Note in London girl's Christmas card may have come from slave laborers in Chinese prison

We send holiday messages, greetings, and prayers to our soldiers who aren't able to be with their loved ones during the holidays. Well, what about all the millions of people around the world who are wrongly imprisoned?

And not only overseas but right here in the USA! There's no secret that thousands are serving time for crimes they didn't commit.

There must be some of you youngsters looking for a good cause. Well, why not start a holiday release effort?

I'm sick and tired of all of this crap about our poor service members during the holidays. Folks, it's their jobs and they volunteered for it! Let's start using our efforts to help those who didn't volunteer for the injustices they're living out.

So, instead of dropping cash into a bucket just because some paid bell ringer tries to guilt you into it. And instead of sending money to an organization that will capitalize on any, and every, natural disaster so they can pay their CEO and other executives more salary than those people could possibly make in the real world. And, heck, don't for get about all of the many, many, 'help the veterans' scams!

Why not help those who just truly can't help themselves because they're locked up, whether it be in a foreign work of political prison or right in your own, so called, democratic country?

Eric! likes this.
  2. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

37694961-2837-40ab-8e08-963f2cbbc3e2_text.gif

Mike Literous likes this.
  3. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

There are over 2 million Americans in prison, I don't think it is a stretch to assume that at least a couple thousand are actually innocent.

Eric! likes this.
  4. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

^ I said the same exact thing to Morrow a year+ back about death row inmates.

But to your quote, how would one weed them out?

Thousands of prisoners would lie and come out of the woodwork and say they're innocent if they heard that I was paying billions for retrials.

^
    I'm a youngster at 47 that found a good cause.
    v
    I did use my efforts to help a homeless man named James living out of his van in the city of Milwaukee. I got him a place to stay from Nov 1st to April 1st.

He has his own warm room, queen size bed, clean bathroom , hot shower, free breakfast , free TV , phone and internet available.

His thank you card he wrote me is priceless

Eric! likes this.
  5. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

Oh, for sure.

Also, we aren't even considering the huge number imprisoned for stupid shit like drug possession or other nonviolent crimes.

Eric! likes this.
  6. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

Fer sure....^ a whole other can of worms.

Eric! likes this.
  7. deleted

deleted Visitor

reminds me that time I locked down the library in prison on christmas eve. pretty fun riot.
    then a middle the night transfer, got stuck in a snowstorm, I sang annoying christmas song, after habeas writ I was free to go man ... get a lawyer.

Eric! likes this.
  8. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yes, there are folks who have been wrongly imprisoned, we shouldn’t deny this. But such a movement to find out who is innocent in the millions of those imprisoned, would be very difficult. I have a solution though:

upload_2019-12-24_7-36-56.gif

9. BeatrixPothead

BeatrixPothead Members

Showing up when summoned for jury duty, and not asking the judge during jury selection to be dismissed, would be a start. If you already serve when called, encourage your friends, relatives, and co-workers to do the same when you hear that they are called for jury duty.

By the time an innocent person has pleaded guilty, or been found guilty, they have lost most of their rights in the criminal justice system.

Advocating for bail system reform and lobbying for more resources for public defenders are other concrete ways of preventing injustice at the front end, and not having to determine for yourself the guilt or innocence of individuals already adjudicated guilty.

If you have appointed judges, they are appointed by elected officials, so be a conscientious voter. If you don't like any of the candidates on the ballot who appoint judges, consider running yourself next time. If you have elected judges, do your research and vote your conscience.

Considering all, there are many practical ways of doing your part to make the system more fair, short of creating and funding your own "innocence project" legal team. If I had to pick one, it would be initiating an amendment, law, or budget guideline providing for public defense that is no less robust and well-funded for individual defendants than public prosecution is.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  10. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I wonder, does the same epithet apply to all those who have been wrongly detained for years in Guantanamo without proper legal representation and without trial.

11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

It's a conspiracy! Up and vanished like a fart in the wind.