written words in dreams

Discussion in 'Dreams' started by something vague, Jul 3, 2008.

1. something vague

something vague Member

So, i've done my share of research and experimentation with lucid dreaming but recently(the last week or so) i have been experiencing something that I haven't experienced before. i know that it is supposed to be an error in lucid dreaming, that you are unable to read written words or be able to interpret them. but last night really changed that perspective.

the specifics are not clear but here is a summary:
    I am standing outside of some sort of convenience store with one of my close friends, when from a distance, two people (a guy and a girl) my age approach me with a letter and then seem to drift away. upon opening the letter, i realize that i can actually read the words, something that i've never done before in a dream. it is a letter from my mom saying that my family were going to a cookout or festival or something around 4 o'clock that day and they would like for me to come. moments after, my cell phone rings and its my mom basically just confirming that i was going to come but i explained to her that i could not come because it was already 4 o'clock and i guess my car had broken down.

thats really it
    i was just wondering if anyone has had experience reading written text in their dreams or what exactly it might mean

thanks

2. †ù®Ké¥ š†ûƒƒïñg

†ù®Ké¥ š†ûƒƒïñg Eminent Herbalist

Yes, I read signs and notes all the time in dreams, but some say you can't. Weird.

3. liquidlight

liquidlight Senior Member

Written words in my dreams are pretty rare but when they do appear are usually pretty meaningful and cryptic.
    I remember when i was finding it hard letting go of an ex once, i had a dream in which an old chinese man gave us a fortune cookie ... we read it and i woke up. ...Nope, i couldn't remember what it said. So i go back to sleep and have the exact same dream again ... we read the fortune cookie and i wake up. Damn! I still couldn't remember it and i knew it was important. - I think this is a case of not wanting to aknowledge what i knew to be true ... that it wasn't our fate to be together, so even after dreaming it twice (and i remember reading the words) my mind still blocked it out.
    Another nice dream was a visit from the goddess (sometimes she comes in threes) ... three young women i know were all playfully fighting over me ..and yes it felt really good :) Anyway they wrote my name 'Hardy' on a piece of paper and also written were lots of other words begining with 'H' ... heliacle (helios - the sun) being one of them. So she's the moon and i'm the sun ... male female stuff basically.

4. myself

myself just me

I remember seeing some years ago an episode from Batman (the animated series) where they said that you could become aware that ou are dreaming if you can't read any written words, on signs or in books or whatever. I had several dreams of this kind afterwards, where I couldn't read anything written. Previously or even afterwards, on other occasions, I could read written words in dreams...

5. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i dunno, just has to do with what the dream is about and what kind of dream it is.

can't ALWAYS, can't always not. if what it says on something doesn't have anything to do with what's going on, then it's just shapes and colors and just a blur if you try and force it, but if doing stuff on the computer or other things like that, what time it is and all, but you see it really is a different kind of a universe, even if it is SOMETIMES telling you stuff about your own head in this one.

a universe where you don't HAVE to be in a hurry, or most of any other of the stressess of the one we're awaike in. even when/if, scarry things can/do happen in it.

and one in which most of the time, you either can, or do otherwise unintentionally and much more directly by your thoughts, alter the very fabric of your surroundings.

so if your occluding something IN your dreams, then of course you won't be able to read it. but mostly, when they reveal to us anything at all, often it is what we occlude from ourselves when we're awaike.

they just arn't always about doing THAT either. not ALWAYS about any one thing. that's why these cookbook dream interpretations can be pretty far off, without understanding the sense that we pretty much all to some degree have internal symbolisms that are uniquely our own, rather then the majority of them being universal, or at least universal within a particular culture, as dream interpretation too often assumes.

not all dreams are ment to be interpreted. that just isn't what most of them are about.
    its a parallel universe for taking the mini-vacations in we all need every night.

=^^=
    .../\...

6. Ember1

Ember1 Guest

Hi all

I came across this thread as I found myself researching reading text whilst dreaming. I thought I'd share my own experiences with you guys. :)

I have had a few experiences of reading novels whilst dreaming and they certainly are interesting experiences. First of all, I always became lucid, that is fully aware I'm reading whilst dreaming. Also if I get sort of pulled away I am able to find my way back again. In many ways it didn't feel like I was reading the book, more like I was in myself, reading what I was reading - if you see what I mean.

I have to admit I thoroughly enjoy the experiences and I as I read I wish I could remember the book well enough to write it down, for they're an excellent read! But alas I think I need to work on my level of memory details after dreams. I'm currently improving but I haven't had a reading dream in a few weeks now.

I started wondering whether these dreams were quite unusual and it took my a bit of searching online to discover a few interesting things. First of all I read that in normal dreaming it is rarely possible to read text and the words often change. This was not the case in mine. The other possibility was that I was seeing into a life in a paralell universe.

They could have just been dreams, but whatever they are I do enjoy them!

Luck to all,

Ember

7. odon

odon Slightly Popular

I watched that.
    Not sure how accurate it really was.
    I'd like to think it had a little bit of truth in it.

8. Fischanado

Fischanado Member

Well, you can read a few words in a dream, or maybe a short sentence, -- but if you try to look back on the text afterwards it can have changed or it fades away. The brain is not good at memorizing texts in dreams.

9. mellisamouse

mellisamouse Guest

Last night I had a dream where I read the words S-L-U-T...

BAD word I KNOW....but I think I amy already have figured it out.

When I am over weight, I am popular and have a tone of friends and everyone loves me, but when I loose weight people (women) start acting mean and caddy.

The last time I felt good about my weight was wayyyyy back in Grade 8. I was a sweet innocent child, just like I still feel now, and mother was the town drunk, and I rember her driving up the road when I was walking home from school with my friends and her pulling up beside us and screaming "get in the car you little Sl*t, NOW." and embarrassing me in fron of all my friends, but it was RIGHT after school so I wasn't even late yet.

Me and my friends looked up the word and I flt horrible about it for years, and actually turned out to be the complete opposite of that because it hurt me so badly. It has even made me too prudish to this day, and I am 35 now.

plus the girls in highschool called me that so i did the complete opposite to prove them wrong...ignored every guy, became wayyyyy to much of a tom-boy etc.

I think this time around I have learned to love myself inspit of other peoples disgusting lables and judgements.

I am no longer going to stay chubby to please eveyone elses insecurities.

I can't help it if I am loosing weight. I will find out who my TRUE friends are this way, and cherish them like pure gold. :)

Nice to meet you all by the way...newbie here. :)