Writing your personal story?

Discussion in 'Writers Forum' started by OceanStar, Jun 16, 2013.

1. OceanStar

OceanStar Member

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to go about writing your own personal life story?

I have suffered from eating disorders for a veryyy long time, and I really want to tell my story to help people understand what it's like, and to raise awareness. I guess it would be a book format as I know I have a lot to write about and I want to go into particular things in detail.

I have no idea as to how to go about writing something though!

So any advice?

I really would appreciate any help! Thank you! :)

2. fleamailman

fleamailman Member

("...people will help you at writersbeat forum though there are many writer's forum out there..." mentioned the goblin aware that he himself couldn't write as correctly as those humans did, but then adding "...they'll advise you there, review your efforts, etc., so give it a try as you have nothing to lose by it...")

3. FreedomSought

FreedomSought Guest

Yo! This is a bit late, seems like a slow forum, but in case anyone finds this via google search months later, or you get notified.

Have you ever been to Over-eaters Anonymous or any 12-step fellowship? By reading that material you can learn to write your rock-bottom story and about your recovery. To my knowledge there is no body of Over-eaters Anonymous stories, because in that group they use the Alcoholics Anonymous big book (kind of a bad match up IMO).

I'm actually doing a bit of the same. I've decided some of my favorite life stories and started with a week in early May of this year. It's really fun editing it, going through old journals and also remembering it more vividly, too. Some parts I have to be pretty honest with myself about what really happened and why. Other parts I realize I have no explanation.

My goal in writing enough memoir-type stories is to learn to put together plots and do coherent story telling in writing format, then eventually move on to fiction, and make the next Lord of the Rings series :)

Start by just writing about your day today in the most interesting way possible, while still just containing the bare truth. What happened so far? How did you feel about it? What settings did you encounter? What did you learn?