Writing poetry in prose

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by flowerchild17, May 22, 2004.

1. flowerchild17

flowerchild17 I practice safe sax.

I was just wondering... How many of you people who write enjoy writing in prose? For the last few months I've been experimenting with it and I've found out how great it can be! I've been writing loads of it in rhyming poetry and turning them into songs... I find writing in prose helps you keep a better beat. Here is one of the first ones I ever wrote:

LOOKERS

Stopping to wonder at the wonder of it all I see a pure, clean state of mind waiting for the time to pass swiftly across the grass and see what the angel left behind. I smile and wae, but I'm about to cave... I see the spirits and I can feel it, I'm not sure waht to do but it's all up to you for this is now mine. I laugh and shake his hand while running my own across the sand of a thousand years never felt before. Now seen white light, I've looked at it right I dont have to worry anymore for I can find the shore and drink with the queen of swords. My head's on straight as standing before hell's gate on my own fate has been decided. It's just a tourist trap with a gaping gap left in the back of the mat for the lookers who get confused with the sinners. I laugh once again, as if it had all been planned, but now I sit here fanned upon an angels cloud.

Anyone else wish to share?

2. Orsino

Orsino Member

ugh.... that would be scary to write poetry in prose.

3. flowerchild17

Why do you say that? :confused:

4. random_spontaneosity

random_spontaneosity Member

i can only write in prose.

5. VanAstral

VanAstral Member

that was tops! keep goin', fewer periods, but a comma every now and again, just so we can take a breath eh.

6. thepixies

thepixies Member

i dont know all these fancy words but i did like that alot

7. flowerchild17

Haha thank you :) I'm not exactly a grammar expert so that's probably way off... but I think if you just read it it'll come out how it's supposed ot sound, ignorning my puncuation. *shrugs* I'll figure it out eventually...

8. Orsino

Orsino Member

Reason being is that to me it's kind of like singing a speech but, more or less, i'm used to songwriting so it bothers me if it isn't organized.

9. Sunnie

Sunnie Jes-Jes

It doesn't rhyme, but I think it could still be considered prose? Maybe you'd just call it a paragraph...anyways,here it is.

Our Night Noire
    Cresting that hill, leaning towards the navy blue sky speckled with stars gouged through the film of our night noire. Following those red streaked taillights, blurred vision and continuously leading us on. But forever out of our reach. They snaked out before us; over the hill and into the place we had been thousands of times but had never really known. Then it hit me all at once, as the car left the ground and soared up and over that beautiful and seemingly endless rise. We were four individual souls, sore and weeping in that car. We were on our way, on a trail blazed a thousand years ago. And it wouldn’t stop. I knew that this night, this dark place in my body and memory would forever go on. And I was screaming, scratching to get out. The window glass bore down on my forehead; the sleekness comforted and calmed my racked nerves. The pavement; ethereal pavement silken and biting washed beneath me and I could feel the rhythm of the road take control. And I got lost again, lost in the streaming red lights and the feeling of constant motion in disguise of making progress.

10. flowerchild17

Sunnie I really liked that :) Poetry in prose doesn't have to rhyme by any means... So it's more than just a paragraph :)

George, poetry in prose is more organized than it in stanzas, in my opinion. It flows more, and for anyway, is easier to write. Most of my songs now are written in prose, so it's not like they can't be written in prose. The piece I posted above is a song and has been used by my band countless times...