Would you unfriend or blacklist someone over politics?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by 6-eyed shaman, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

He may not do it to the women here, but he does seem to do it to feminists in general. I clearly recognize where Okie is coming from there

2. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

I was thinking in particular of his fat shaming series. Women must conform to his high standards of physical perfection in order to pass muster. Then there was the Feminism thread. More generally, there is the attack the menace of feminism. Women who conform to male standards get a pass--not those who don't.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    Balbus likes this.
  3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I think most of us can see the difference in poking fun of commonly held stereotypes versus real racism and bigotry

As a white person I dont personally fear genocide when someone says my people cant dance, for example

Irminsul likes this.
  4. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

This!

I can't say I've ever heard anyone stereotype Asian's bad driving abilities due to them being stupid. Do we flip around that lens of examination now and analyze why you might have thought it was a slight at their intelligence?

5. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

For me to be truly friends with someone, they have to somewhat be on my wavelength, which is perhaps why I have few friends. I don't really care to be around people who believe in idiotic things like politics and voting. Most people only know what the television and social media tells them, not because they are not capable of knowing more, but rather because that is all they care to know.

Irminsul likes this.
  6. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

There is lots of idiotic crap on my Facebook feed, but few of those people are real friends anyway, so I usually just unfollow them if their bullshit gets to be too annoying.

Irminsul likes this.
  7. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Again I should always remind people things are not (or very rarely) black and white, there are shades and degrees.

I mean the ‘joke’ being discussed is - ‘I'd never fuck a feminist. Bestiality is illegal where I'm from’

I’d be interested to hear who here (besides 6) thinks that is funny? How about -

‘I'd never fuck a black woman. Bestiality is illegal where I'm from’

8. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I think that's a bad joke. And not funny at all.

9. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

I for one think it's ironic that we have all these people that tell how terrible racism is...yet they express the same hatred right back at the racists. If we're gonna accept and tolerate people because of race or color or political views, then we must also tolerate those that are not tolerant, that do not "like" people of race or color or politics. It's like the pot calling the kettle black.

If a white family wants to hate another family because they are black, that's fine. Let them. That's their business. Maybe they have a reason. But does that mean that I can hate the white family? No. Why am I going to hate them? Because they hate someone I like? Maybe I don't like the black family either. But does that mean I can still hate the white family? No. If a kid in that black family stole something from me and the black daddy thinks it's ok, does tht mean that all blacks are thieves? No. Just that kid and his daddy is a piece of shit. But that never represents the entire race. Instead, it's the individuals. I cannot justify expecting others to live by my standards just as they cannot justify expecting me to live by theirs. Just live and let live. Let others live to their standards and I'll live to mine. I'm not gonna hate people becuse of their color or politics or even if they are criminals.

Do you know why some people are black? It's because they ain't white! Whoop dee do! And just because you change a color or pigment does not change the person they are inside.
    Do you know why some people are criminals? Just because they were convicted does not mean they broke the law. And if they did break the law, who knows what the reason is. Maybe the woman was busted for stealing. Why was she stealing? It could be she was trying to feed her kids. Maybe she needed the money to go visit her sister while her sister is dying from cancer. Who knows?
    Maybe the guy next door spent 20 years in prison for murder. Is he evil? Maybe he didn't do it? What if he did do it? Maybe it was to keep himself or someone else alive? Maybe the guy he kilt just got done raping my neighbor's 3 year old daughter? Who knows?

Maybe if we quit judging people on their past, maybe they won't judge us for ours? Who the fuck said we're angles? I'm not by any means!

If we go the extra mile and love our neighbors instead of hating them, maybe they will learn to love as well. And when people learn to love and accept their neighbors they cannot jutify hating them. And if we could live like that, the world would be a much better place. And that's what the old school hippies I knew when I was growing up taught me. Real hippies don't hate. Real hippies love.

10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Men have always been afraid of women.

11. The key tenet of feminism is sexual liberation, which has sorely disappointed the patriarchy I'm sure.

12. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I'm in no rush to repeat @6-eyed shaman 's joke but I see an inherit difference in this instance between making fun of people due to their ideology compared to making fun of people due to their race.

6-eyed shaman likes this.
  13. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Why?

14. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Why am I not in a rush to repeat 6-eyed shaman's joke? or why do I see a distinction between his joke and Balbus switching it to Black Woman?

15. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Your post reminds me of Trump's statement after Charlottesville. That there were "very fine people" on both sides. Don't think so. The folks with the Tiki torches chanting "Jews will not replace us" were not "very fine people". They were very messed up people. Not to acknowledge that is a sign of serious moral confusion. It suggests a false equivalence between good and evil. Yes, I said evil. Racism is evil, on a par with child molestation, horse stealing, and rape. It's not just a matter of opinion--like some folks are Democrats, others Republican, some are Methodists, some Lutherans, and some Nazi racists. The intolerant don't tolerate us, so why must we tolerate them?

No, that's not fine, and its not just their business. Those views can have a seriously negative impact on society, and there is no reason why we need to tolerate them.

Your use of the term "hate" muddies the waters. Love the sinner, but hate the sin. We can and do expect people to live by minimum standards of decency.

Real hippies weren't known for their analytical prowess. There is some merit to what you're saying, but without distinguishing between love for individuals and rejection of their evil deeds you endorse a muddled amorality that can inflict serious, unloving harm on people. Racism is seriously harmful to people who bear the brunt of it, particularly when it involves denying them goods and services and equal protection of the laws, or backing politicians who treat people as second class citizens because of their race. We have a long, sorry history to demonstrated the tragic consequences of racial segregation. Saying that we must tolerate racism is nonsense, and worse: immoral. Where it comes to attitudes toward individual racists, I can see merit to being understanding. Some, as you say, may be racists because of ignorance, upbringing, misinformation, and/or circumstances beyond their control. Without condoning their views or behavior, we may chose to keep up contact with them in hopes of reaching them, or they may have other qualities or things to offer that make it worthwhile to associate with them. I have friends who meet at my house every week, and a couple of them are racists--not the aggressive kind with the tiki torches, but the Archie Bunker kind who have racist views because they don't know any better. Some of their language that purples the air would send the progressives on these forums into cardiac arrest. One is a plumber with little formal education who spent his teenage years in a reform school and suffers from a bad case of ADHD. He is a believing Christian and a recovering alcoholic, who deserves some respect for conquering at least some of his demons. In that respect, it would be wrong for me to feel morally superior to him, because he's had a rough life and has made headway in self-mastery in the face of adversity that I couldn't match. Apart from the racism, he has a good heart, and if push came to shove, I suspect he'd go out of his way to help an African-American who was in serious need. In fact, he actually voted for Obama when the choice was Romney! The other is a small businessman who has 1950s small town values and feels threatened by the changes in our society, including the growing numbers of minorities. God has a warped sense of humor, and has given this guy a sister who married a black man and had a child by him. The black man is a go-getter businessman whom my friend is coming to admire, and now has to watch his racist language around his African-American brother-in-law and nephew. So life is complicated, and I think it's important to recognize, as you say, that we all have our flaws and to make allowances for those of others. But we need to walk that tightrope between loving fellow sinners while rejecting their values.

Balbus and GuerrillaLorax like this.
  16. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Why you see a distinction.

17. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Does anybody know how to kill 200 blow flies in one hit? :D

18. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

It's a false equivalence.

19. GuerrillaLorax

GuerrillaLorax along the peripheries of civilization

A big reason is because the whole "beastiality" bit has been used for decades as a racist anti-Black "joke". And has been adapted to feminists and anyone else the far-right sees as inferior.

And saying being pro-woman is an ideology would be similar to saying being pro-Black is an ideology.

And thank you Okiefreak for dissecting the pacifists post, I appreciate not having to.

20. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

It says it in the first sentence of their wikipedia page :grinning:

better get up on their wikipedia and make some edits...

6-eyed shaman likes this.