Would you unfriend or blacklist someone over politics?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by 6-eyed shaman, Oct 9, 2018.

1. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Yet the only people that have ever called me a racist are those that feel I must be because I didn't support Clinton with my vote. Not every Dem I know call me racist, but none did before Trump got elected. Somehow deducing that if I didn't support the Dems they wanted me too, I'd be somehow shaned into it.

All I will say is if I have Dems that think I'm racist and Reps that think I'm not, who do they expect me to vote with?

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Harambe?

3. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Nose

I’ve often complained about this but the problem is that only in a country that has no racism or bigotry will they not be political issues.

I don’t think such a country exists.

Do you think there is no racism or bigotry in the US?

If racism and bigotry do exist there is going to be discrimination and those people that want to do nothing about the decimation and those that do (especially the discriminated against).

So if racism and bigotry do exist there are politicians those that will pander to it to gain votes and those politicians that will fight the discrimination that such racism and bigotry brings about (or if you are a cynic exploiting that discrimination to gain votes).

I know there are those that are quick to pull out the racist card but the problem is that far too often it is justified.

There are a lot of racial problems in the US and UK and in the age of Trump and Brixit those tensions are close to the surface.

The good thing is that most people still don’t like to be thought of as actually racist it’s not seen as a good or worthy trait but I’m sorry to say that is beginning to change in some places.

The solution is education, with an integrated and mixed public school system, following a curriculum that teaches awareness and tolerance, it will not eradicate racism and bigotry but it might work to mitigate it. But as I see it the problem is that many seem to want to perpetuate division by promoting such things as the voucher system.

4. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Since we’re talking about race and politics; let’s talk about the “Trump Effect”

White Woman calls 911 on black man who was trying to enter his own apartment complex

White Woman refuses to let black man swim in his own housing complex pool, calls 911

White Woman Calls Police On Black Man Watching His Son’s Soccer Game because she felt threatened by his loud voice

White staffer at Smith College in Massachusetts calls campus police on black graduate student sitting in common area because she looked suspicious

White Man calls 911 on a black man because he fouled him while playing a pickup basketball game.

White man calls police on black family for using the community pool

White woman calls police to report a black man babysitting two white children.

White female student at Yale University calls campus police on black student for sleeping in student lounge

White woman calls police on black family moving into their new house.

Starbucks Coffee manager calls police on two black men because they didn’t order anything

And there were at least 2 other high profile cases that currently allude me , all within the last year.

scratcho likes this.
  5. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Or is it a Trump effect

As I’ve mentioned before I've talked to some people about this and they've told me that these things have always been going on, it's just that we are now hearing about it more now because people have mobile phones and access to social media so they can document and circulate such incidences.

It was just that in the past black people just didn’t know it was so prevalent and white people who were told such stories thought them either bogus or exaggerated, its ahrder to ignore when their is video evidence.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  6. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

I totally agree that there are whites that are using this environment to stoke racism. There are also whites that have been terrified by blacks that were told to not speak up or do anything for fear or being called racist for trying to take issue with being terrified by some actions of some blacks. So now they are over reacting.

7. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Not

And what is your evidence for this assertion?

If someone is willing to phone the police over a black babysitter looking after two happy white children can such people be so ‘terrified’ of being called racist?

8. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Hotwater,

I feel like this has been in the background even before Donald Trump was president of the United States. It's a really old problem in my eyes, and from what I've read in Sociology textbooks; if not specifically about calling police, then at least about the suspicion of non-whites by whites. One example that I remember discusses something called Double Consciousness. African-Americans can scarcely go to the grocery store without feeling the eyes of shop owners glaring as they peruse the aisles. I could post a good definition, but I don't feel like it's totally necessary. The gist of it is, African-Americans develop a segment of their personality to accommodate the distrust of the general public. It's terrible and tragic.

I've quoted a piece that mentions double consciousness here to illustrate the point that African-Americans feel persecuted and are unfortunately very aware of the opinions that many white people may have. My point was this has been around... for as long as there has been "race" in the United States (an invention by the dominant culture, unfortunately). W.E.B. Du Bois, a very famous African-American scholar coined the term double-consciousness in his book "The Souls of Black Folk" in 1903. African-Americans have been aware of this circumstance for at least that long. :)

Ok, that's probably enough ranting.

GuerrillaLorax, scratcho and Balbus like this.
  9. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

I was also fascinated by the latest account of the woman who tried to block the African American entering his own apartment complex and then followed him to his door, after GETTING ON THE ELEVATOR WITH HIM! And I understand she was legally still married to an African-American. Go figure! (Possible ill feelings about her relationship? Or was it, as she said, just trying to do her duty to enforce the condo policies?)

10. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

If 15% of the population is responsible for 75% of the crime, it's not hard to feel terrified of that portion of the population.

For the second response. She didn't know he was a babysitter. To her she saw a black man with young white children in a car. What if he had been a kidnapper and she did nothing? Seeing a black man in the capacity of a babysitter doesn't register to most as a typical scenario.

If I saw a Muslim wearing a star of David it would strike me as not fitting into a normal scenario. I would make assumptions something was amiss. Doesn't mean I'd be right.

11. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

According to the 2010 census, 12.2% of Americans are African-Americans. The FBI's Uniform Crime Statistics (2016) show that African-Americans accounted for 26.9% of arrests in the United States. True, African-Americans committed 38.5 % of violent crime during 2011-13--still much fewer than your 75%. Most of these were for crimes against other African-Americans. Of course, those statistics reflect a possible bias inclining officers to arrest more African-American suspects than white suspects. FactCheck: do black Americans commit more crime?
    Table 21

12. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

And you above examples doesn't discuss total crime it just conveys as you acknowledge, that in the category of violent crime it's disproportionately high for blacks.

I don't know if robbery etc is part of violent crime.

Buts let's just say for a second that we can agree it's a misperception based on biased reporting. It is that perception that causes the real bias. It may not be a valid bias, but that doesn't change the fact that's it's an exercised bias. I have a good black friend that discussed how he was raised. His father taught him that all white people steal from blacks. He truly grew up with that belief. It may not be correct but he has a right to that bias.

13. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Yes, robbery is included in the violent crime figures. As for your friend, I wouldn't say he or anyone else has a "right" to any kind of bias, but the bias is understandable and not unreasonable. I think a woman can be excused being on guard when a strange man approaches her in an isolated place. That's why I thought it was so odd that the Missouri woman who tried to block the African-American man she was suspicious of from her condo, got on the elevator alone with him while continuing to challenge him. Not wise, lady!

14. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

LOL Generalizing white people much?

Although I can at least understand how some people could feel offended by getting suspicious stares, evasiveness, and dodgy reactions from strangers based on their own appearance. But at the same time, maybe there is a PERSONAL reason why the other person could be acting judgmental toward another stranger based on their race, age, gender, etc. Maybe the shop owner you are talking about have gotten shoplifted by black people once before, and still has the PTSD from the bad experience. There is sometimes a reason some people will avoid other strangers, and it isn't always racism. While I'm not trying to justify the existence of such prejudiced attitudes and "double consciousness," there is possibly a deeper and personal reason why they have their shields up for certain people.

It happened to me once when I was at the park with my father. He and I were walking on an asphalt running path toward the direction of a middle aged mother with a toddler and carriage who were both walking in our direction. When we got about 100ft from each other, the mother looked at us, stopped cold in her tracks, and strictly called her child back to get in the carriage. Then she turned around and did a very fast walk in the other direction to get away from us quickly as the carriage would allow her to move. I could sense the timid fear in her voice and body language. I thought it odd she'd run away from us; I'm a man in my early 30s and father is in his late 60s. We were both dressed normal and the time was about 16:00. Were we offended that she did that? Not a bit. She was a complete stranger and we didn't care whether she walked past us or run away. Perhaps this woman was mugged and ambushed by two white men in a park once before, and didn't want to take any risk of it again with her child there. Or maybe she had overprotective paranoid motherly instincts that kicked in. Therefore, we can't assume all discriminatory actions from random strangers are based in isms like racism sexism and more.

15. 6-eyed shaman

I find the best jokes are the ones that break the rules of polite society, and have a bit of offensive element and shock value to them.

I read your post, and all you're doing is language policing me, and rephrasing my statements by replacing the words, and misconstrue me as a racist to other members on here so you can feel better about yourself when you lack a sense of humor.

Seems you just like to use the word "racist" in the exact same context as calling someone a jerk. Typical.

I don't care what the internet thinks of me as a person; I just do what is right by my friends and family and don't give a damn what the haters think.

16. soulcompromise

Defensive much? If it doesn't apply, Six, let it fly. You don't have to stand up for anybody. If I were you I'd put myself in the right shoes. You seem to be telling me to put myself in the shop owners shoes. Well, same goes for you. Why don't you put yourself in the African-American man's shoes.

I don't have another dissertation, but I will say this: It down to being accepting and tolerant. If you can't do that/find it unnecessary or burdensome, I think you need to look at your priorities. Take a look in the mirror. Ask yourself questions. Do you like what you've become? I'm not going to tell you how to live your life, but you sound like you're a white supremacist. There is something wrong with that. Why don't you own up and admit that at all?

I don't know your story, but I suspect you've been manipulated. All these positions that are in stark contrast to standard values on women, race, identities. It's like you want to play games.

Tell me whatever you want to. You're fairly close to being on the blacklist your asking about.

Okiefreak and scratcho like this.
  17. soulcompromise

this is all fine, but that narrative we would go through in our minds about all the maybes; maybe this maybe that. That doesn't seem like a realistic expectation to me.

18. 6-eyed shaman

First off you said this:

Is it only whites that have these suspicious and racial prejudices? Is this what your textbooks teach you? Racism is not a one-way street.

No because I don't believe any race is superior or inferior to another. I don't believe that vilifying white people empowers minorities. I don't believe demonizing men empowers women. And I don't believe vilifying straights empowers gays.

Fine by me, you can block me and hide in your safe space. But if you choose to become the person who is unwilling to listen to any other contrasting world view to the ones you believe in, it is your mind that will be closed. Listening to different opinions will help you better understand your opposition.

Personally, I like that people disagree with me. I've had my mind changed and my world perspective evolve, and it has broadened my philosophical outlook. I'm not an NPC.

19. soulcompromise

I feel like you've taken a dictionary definition of racism, reversed it, and handed it to us all for cover. I've never heard you come out against racism, man. I'm not vilifying white people. It's racism that's the problem.
    Well, it's not going to hurt anything for me to block you, man. But I would rather be cool. No one will think you're NPC or whatever if you lost the obligatory white-guy defense mode, for lack of better terminology. I appreciate your philosophy on life, not your position on racism or women. I think you're too smart for that.

20. lode

lode Banned

There was White lady who called the cops on man using grill.

White woman calls police on black man for grilling in a California park

And although not against a black man, this one may have been the best one of the year.