Would you unfriend or blacklist someone over politics?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by 6-eyed shaman, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Because Jesus Walks was dope AF.

My musical icon and personal goddess Kathleen Hanna wrote what was basically a love song to Hilary Clinton and her bid for the presidency. I didn't turn my back. I didn't "hold her accountable." I awknacknowledged we had differing political views. Then I shrugged and went on enjoying her beautiful music.

McFuddy likes this.
  2. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

This is why I hate posting from my phone.

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

If you don't vote for guns, I will shoot you.

4. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

That's your choice, of course. It makes more sense if the celebrity has sufficient talent to offset bad poltics. I enjoy Wagner, even though he was a total asshole, deadbeat, adulterous Anti-Semite who contributed to Nazism. I also admire the work of Mel Gibson, especially Braveheart, Mad Max, and Apocalypto, even though he's also and Anti-Semetic asshole. On the other hand, I no longer can enjoy much of anything with Tom Cruise because, in my opinion, he's gone beyond the pale with the Scientology and it's hard for me to separate him from his acting, although I concede he did a good job with Interview With A Vampire and the Mission Impossible flicks. Ted Nugent is another example of somebody with insufficient talent to offset his ugly right wing extremism. And I'd put West in the same category, despite his contributions to the hip hop genre.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    scratcho likes this.
  5. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

I'm used to watching some of my favorite entertainers promote some really shitty politics. Sure, I may think a little less of them, but I'll still enjoy their work. I still like Eddie Vedder.

Sometimes when a famous entertainer jumps on a political bandwagon, they can make or break themselves. I don't think Joy Villa would've been as famous if she didn't wear that Trump bumper sticker as a dress. And Beyonce's political stunts helped her publicity too. But at the same time, The Dixie Chicks sadly lost a lot of momentum for criticizing GWB and the Iraq war. Eminem is suffering in album sales after whining that Trump isn't paying attention to him. I wonder how Kanye's positive friendship with Trump is going to pan out for him.

6. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Bum

Of course but how far do you take that? Could you be friends with someone that was openly racist? Someone that through black people were inferior to white people? What about people that supported trying to supress the voting rights of black people?

I’m not so sure of that – from experience I’ve often found (it’s not 100%) that a person’s personality has an influence upon their political leanings or maybe its vis versa.

7. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

I have lost some friends over some topics because they were too thin-skinned to handle opposing points of view. Looking back, they weren't good friends anyway

LOL so you were pushing your alt-right like views and THEY were too thin skinned to accept these truths and so THEY stopped been friends with you. Yes I can see how that worked.

What has been a millennial dude got to do with anything?

I have a teenage daughter

Have you heard Taylor Swift and Kanye West’s respective political statements? Hers was considered and restrained his often come across as ding bat crazy.

Taylor Swift has spoken out on politics for the first time

Swift explained why because of the voting record of Marsha Blackburn she was voting against her and for the Democrats saying “I cannot vote for someone who will not be willing to fight for dignity for ALL Americans, no matter their skin color, gender or who they love” But I particularly like this line from Swift “Please, please educate yourself on the candidates running in your state and vote based on who most closely represents your values. For a lot of us, we may never find a candidate or party with whom we agree 100% on every issue, but we have to vote anyway.”

Now on the other hand here is West on why he finds Trump so appealing. “I’m married to a family where there’s not a lot of male energy going on. There’s something about … I love Hillary. I love everyone. But the campaign ‘I’m With Her’ just didn’t make me feel, as a guy that didn’t get to see his dad all the time, like a guy who could play catch with his son. There was something about when I put this hat on that made me feel like Superman. That’s my favorite superhero. You made a Superman cape for me.”

8. monkjr

monkjr Senior Member

Balbus, that’s a valid point. It explains why feminism being used by the democrats doesn’t tend to pull the country together. It’s brand only appeals to 50% of the country, the optics aren’t adrenaline boosting enough.

There’s an appeal in being savage and carnal, and relying on heuristic feeling-based non-critical thinking. And frankly you talk to some of these people and they THINK they’re thinking smart and that their woke...

And frankly the blue-collar community, has a chip-on their shoulder, because they see all these white-collar folk who represent corporations taking their jobs or being their greedy landlords. Rightly so too, I’d be pissed, but white-collar society is strongly associated with college-education. So there is some psychological and emotional transference to anybody or any political party who represents an intellectual for a lot of the middle-geographic part of the country.

Feminism and the liberal arts, represents a intellectual propaganda machine to them, and so when political appeals tries to use these tactics to win over the conscience of the red states, it rarely works. I’m also not saying they’re dumb either, their smart enough to understand basic supply-demand; but not necessarily at a global economic scale, just a nationalist one.

9. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

It is interesting that 6 is bringing this subject up as he has views that are very close to those of the alt-right and to Social Darwinist thinking that seem to be rather extreme when examined.

To me this is not about either you are friends with someone of a different viewpoint than you or you are not, there are degrees.

I’m an atheist but I’ve had friends that had religious beliefs, but there are degrees in religious belief

For example, there are people of religion that have no problem with homosexuality and there are those that do.

I might be friends with one but could I be friends with someone that thought homosexuality an abomination and/or should be against the law and even been punished by imprisonment (or death)?

If a man has sexual intercourse with a male as one has sexual intercourse with a woman, the two of them have committed an abomination. They must be put to death; their blood guilt is on themselves. Leviticus 20:13

To me the problem with political discussion today is that many on the right are promoting extreme views and trying to claim them as acceptable.

10. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Monkjr

Interesting you bring up feminism

Here is something related to feminists that 6 - the person that brought up the subject of this thread - posted

‘I'd never fuck a feminist. Bestiality is illegal where I'm from’

Now I’m not sure but I think that 6 though that was a joke and maybe that it is an example of his humour but let us change the wording slightly

I'd never fuck a black woman. Bestiality is illegal where I'm from’

Now I know 6 will call foul because as he keeps telling us he is not a racist but to me to me the two statements share the same type of mean and nasty mentality of the way in viewing the things that you don't like.

And the thing is that the second statement about the black woman would be seen as a joke by some in American society but would I want to be friends with them?

But the same type of mentality produced the first ‘joke’ about the feminist….

11. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I'm certain 6-eyed will never fuck a feminist as well btw :p He was spot on there. Yes, the bestiality argument was an attempt to be funny, not the actual reason obviously

12. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Generally I haven't become friends with racists and mysogynists, probably because we lack much in common elsewhere? I do have people in my life who hold opinions which I would call racist and mysogynistic but no, I don't feel the need to cut them off. I'll demonstrate for them, infinitely, why those views are wrong, and take pleasure in the parts of them I connect with, which must exist for me to call them friend. This kind of intermingling of views seems the most likely way to spread better ones.

Views and beliefs can change entirely over a person's life.. Would you say they have been two different people? I see their identity as being the thing that chose both views. I am the process of improving my perception of the world, and if I feel a belief is who I am then how can I change it without losing who I am?

Maybe people can be either, and I just advocate NOT letting your views be your identity.

13. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Beach

So what do you call racist and misogynistic?

I mean are we talking gassing the inferior races level, thinking things like black people are inferior to white people, what degree of racism would you accept?

As to misogyny what are we saying, thinking all women are basically whores that are gagging for it or thinking women are less intelligent than men, what degree of sexism and misogyny are you happy with?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  14. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

I find it hard to put into degrees, because sometimes people say something and if I put it together with everything I know about that person, I'll think "you don't think that..."
    People say all kinds of weird things in trying to cope with being a primitive creature entering a higher mindset. People contradict themselves and someone who I see as being loving will say something hateful because they heard it on the news.

I guess I just wouldn't cut a friend off, ever, for anything. I may stop interacting with them if I feel their way of being is not a good thing to be around.

I am a person who finds killing animals horrifying. I see it no differently to someone slaughtering other humans, and my partner eats meat. So... That's all I can go on. I don't know anyone who goes beyond casual thoughtless racism in the form of "humour".

15. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Beach

OK so you could quiet happily continue to be friends with someone that became the modern equivalent of an Auschwitz guard or turned out to be a serial rapist, absolutely nothing someone could do or hold views on would bring you to cutting them off?

Well….ok…..

16. Asmodean

^
    Lol kind of a ridicilous conclusion. I for one can be friends with someone with racist views and convictions too. It all depends how they go about it.

17. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

For my entire life I have been able to get along with people of differing views. Often embrace that difference as they often can help me see a different approach to solving a problem.

And for the most part I still get along with all the people I always have with some exceptions. My sister is someone I would never talk to again if I could avoid it. She runs the same script that many on the radical left on this board and out in the real world seem to be proposing is the new game plan.

I have sort of stayed nicely out of politics my whole life. I just figured common sense would guide our citizens. Common sense now appears to be something I no longer recognize.

So I thank my sister and all if those like her and join every effort I can to make them go the hell away and leave me the eff alone. Now I want to join any effort there is to repel them. I sat down and shut up when they had control. I'll help show them how to do the same now in any way I can.

I didn't ask to be at war. It's been declared on me.

18. Asmodean

^
    Several remarks in your post seem to contradict each other

McFuddy and Meliai like this.
  19. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Not

And what is that exactly?

20. Asmodean

Do you consider yourself a radical leftist, Balbus?