Would you unfriend or blacklist someone over politics?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by 6-eyed shaman, Oct 9, 2018.

1. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

my dad says "i'b only hath three beers." sometimes dads are full of shit.

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Judging by the reactions others have over anothers polital and religious opinions, my dad was spot on the money on this at least.

Also no point lying about your beer intake in our family, it's in the culture to drink beer. :p

3. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

^ yeah, i do think your dad was right in this case.

Irminsul likes this.
  4. monkjr

monkjr Senior Member

It depends on how controlling they are or have snobbish moments where their views on a policy seem to have moments where they don’t realize supporting what they want politically actually makes my personal situation worse in terms of a household issue.

I think where it breaches friendship inherently is this lack of cognitive understanding that by defacto, you are saying your a freeloader when you know full well that they know you have a job or that your ex-girl/wife needed an abortion because of an ectopic pregnancy.

So for me it depends, if they can justify the broad and then narrow nuances of their beliefs.

I’m also discovering that a lot of voters really lack knowledge on exactly how modern economics works. They only understand it at a simplified high school level; and can’t play with the concepts.

The reason politics is frustrating to discuss is neither side is really well equipped to logically understand policy nor recognize validity in both the logical and the emotional balance needed when discussing issues. Recently it’s all been majority emotion.

And this goes for the left and right, except for those real scholarly types who really can at least explain their issue, although they backtrack from stating Their policies have a bent of cruelty to them, and they obsfuscate blame with the lines of “thats just business, or how things are”. Which does imply a sense of Emotional tone that they’re acknowledging they like the status quo, because they don’t believe change can work.

It goes around in circles and when talking to conservatives the main root is to ask them not even in a debate, but like WHY do they feel we’ve hit a Wall in making the world a better place?

^ this last point most people never get too, they’re already shouting at you and the friendships break apart and no real knowledge gets to be gained here. What we’ve seen is polarization, which loops us until we get to this point until someone breaks this cycle.

With lefties, they’re often not ready to enter a debate stage, they can’t emotionally handle the cross examination culture of political debate, and that’s usually because their impetus into political movements has their origins in trauma of some kind (poverty, loss of loved ones, loss of bodily autonomy in an assault).

The righties? They’re all about business and masculinity heavily influencing of concept of faith, defense of family, and the concrete interpretation of the constitution. However they aren’t consistent on when they do or don’t care about the federal debt, if the expenditure is for something that supports a core principle like those mentioned above, they make exception regardless if such a measure ends up adding to the debt. They also suffer cognitive dissonance on how classical economic theory does not correct itself when markets break; and they fail to admit the reason Keynesian economics fails because Conservatives don’t raise taxes as a inflexible principle even when economic times are good. Proper execution of Keynesian economics says we need taxes raised during the good years to return funds to what was used to stimulate the economy during bad ones.

5. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

LOL

Sorry but the problem is that there are people like you 6 who can’t discusses their view in any rational or reasonable way and when asked to do so become nasty or even abusive and/or run away because they just can’t handle that their ideas just don’t stand up to scrutiny.

So basically if they didn’t like your views you cut them off which isn’t surprising as that is what you do on the forum – if people start questioning your views you run away.

For all your protestations basically if people don’t just accept your viewpoint you seem to be implying they can’t be your friends.

Now that is fine but it runs counter to your argument

LOL –BUT you would break ties with friends who ‘were too thin-skinned to handle opposing points of view

In other words if they didn’t just accept what you were saying without question you unfriend them.

Never?

What if they went completely racist?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  6. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

I’m happy to talk politics to anyone (the reason i'm here) and I have done so in the real world, serving my time during my life on street corners and doorsteps talking politics to complete strangers.

I’ve had political discussions with my family some of them heated but we get over it, yes there have been times when our family have cut one or other out, but not over politics. But the thing is none of my family have extreme political views.

As to friends, well the thing is that friemndship is based on liking and respecting people and a person’s political viewpoint can often be a reflection of their personality.

To put it in a basic way, from the many people I’ve meet in my life the more self-centred and greedy people have usually had right wing views and the more tolerant and generous have leaned more to the left.

In the same way, those that seem to have given more thought to their political position seem to lean to the left while those that don’t seem able to defend their ideas from rational and reasonable scrutiny seem to lean to the right.

So the thing is that as a person I’m more likely to be attracted to and respect, someone with a generous and rational personality than I would be to someone with one that is greedy and irrational.

7. lode

lode Banned

Nah. I did unfriend someone who was an acquaintance in high school who was posting racist memes which were occasionally cloaked in politics. I try to avoid that kinda negativity IRL too.

Usually I'm glad to see some alternative political view on my social media, because I don't want to let myself live in a bubble. Though I do see far more memes than nuanced political treatises. I have a former coworker who's real big into Q-Anon, so that's a bit of a treat too.

8. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Yes, if they seem to be a real retard or hypocritical about it, or abuse politics and serious topical/societal matters to spread misinformation and hate and add to the polarisation the friendship will probably die out.
    But no, not simply because someone has different or even opposite views.

9. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Talk about unfriending people because of their political views ending up not fitting in with their own this came up as a news headline

The alt-right is calling Taylor Swift a 'traitor' after she broke her political silence to endorse Democrats

MeAgain and soulcompromise like this.
  10. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

I didn't pull the plug on the friendships. They did. I'm a millennial dude living in a blue state. If I did that to everyone I know because of politics, I wouldn't have many people to hang out with.

Meh, I'm not too savvy on celebrity gossip, but this really goes both ways

“Kanye West is what happens when negroes don’t read,” CNN commentator Bakari Sellers said

West went on a rant at the of the “Saturday Night Live” premiere late last month regarding Trump and wore a red “Make America Great Again” hat. Kanye claimed he was "bullied" backstage.

CNN panel bashes Kanye West's representation of black community due to Trump support
    CNN panel bashes Kanye West's representation of black community due to Trump support

11. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Celebrities and politicians are in a different category from Uncle Billie's political rants at Thanksgiving dinner. Celebrities and politiicans: (1) aren't my relatives, and (2) need to be aware that what they say can influence public opinion. Susan Collins, whatever her ultimate fate, made an important decision when she voted for Kavanaugh. West made an important decision when he put on the MAGA hat. Why shouldn't we hold them accountable?

MeAgain and scratcho like this.
  12. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

No, I would not. I enjoy having friends who hold different beliefs and opinions than I do.

I also think opinions and beliefs are zero to do with a person's identity.

13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

true that, this thread makes me think of one of my most favorite friends. She's the opposite of me, she's a evangelical conservative who name drops Jesus like he's her homeboy from the old neighborhood, and i'm a bleeding heart liberal and an atheist. On the surface we really don't have anything in common but our spirits are the same and we love each other fiercely. I don't agree with her politics at all but it really has nothing to do with who she is as a person.

14. So far I haven't.
    And I have very different friends with very different opinions.

I think a lot of it has to do with a person's circumstances and background. Usually when they explain why they think or feel the way they do, it often sort of makes sense.
    You don't end up agreeing with them, but it's their truth and opinion, so whatevs.
    As long as they're not advocating murda, I can live with that.

However, atm I think I would have a problem with a certain group of people. Aka Bosniaks who felt they have the right to elect the Croatian member of the three-member presidency.
    If you're going to deny political rights to someone, then you're probably not my friend.
    I'll probably get over that, but atm I'm still sulking.

15. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

That speaks well of you.

When people do feel their identity is their beliefs and politics it means even if new information arises that proves them incorrect they won't accept it because they feel it as a loss of self.

16. ImConfused

ImConfused ¯\(°_o)/¯

No. I believe people all see and experience things differently, and should not be made to feel their opinion is worth any less than anyone elses.

bry75 likes this.
  17. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

I've noticed though that Republicans seem completely uninhibited about proclaiming their views to everybody as though they were the revealed Truth and that everybody else either must agree with them or is some kind of weirdo. Maybe it's just the fact that I live in a Red State, but relatives back east do the same thing. Democrats don't seem to do this. Why is that? Is it because Republicans think they own the world--their way or the highway?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    scratcho and MeAgain like this.
  18. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

[​IMG]

scratcho likes this.
  19. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

In what way do you want to hold them accountable?

20. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Not supporting them. Speaking out against them. Backing rivals, if possible.